Upset

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by mpang123, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

I go to group therapy everyday. However, sometimes because of certain circumstances, I cannot make 5 days a week required attendance. I've already been threatened by the attendance supervisor that if I keep missing days, I may be discharged from the program. This week, I have to miss 3 days and I'm worried that I will be confronted about my attendance again. I have legitimate reasons why I'm missing so many days. I have some unexpected business to take care of. Anyway, I'm also afraid to speak to the supervisor because she is very intimidating to me. Therefore, I told the supervisor of the therapists about my dilemma. She said she will talk to the attendance supervisor about my situation. However, the therapist supervisor tried to talk me about why I tend to isolate myself from people that can trigger my depression. I found myself arguing and defending myself to her that I'm perfectly happy to being alone but she wouldn't buy it and tried to convince me to build up my socialization skills so I won't be so lonely and depressed. I told her I am content being by myself. When she addressed my depression, I felt she was letting me know that I won't recover from depression unless I get to socialize more. I don't agree. So, I am now very frustrated and upset about the whole situation and now I'm depressed again. I don't feel I'm depressed all the time. I take meds for that and I thought I was doing pretty good until she pointed it out to me. I am confused now and wished I never talked to her. She ruined my day.

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I'm sorry to hear this, mpang123... this is not how therapy should be conducted. Is this therapy that is mandated, or is it something you are doing as part of your own wellness plan? If it is something you can change, maybe look for a different group? It does not sound like this one is being run with a lot of compassion - although I based this only off of what you've said and I may not know all the facts. Regardless of that, nothing needs to be absolute. There will be times people have to take care of other things, as you said you have some business to take care of that will prevent your attendance. Can you maybe escalate this to the group leader's higher ups? Not so much as a telling on them type of thing, but more as a way to explain that your intentions are good but that there is special cause which is preventing your full regular attendance. At any rate, regardless of the reasons, it seems to me that there should be a process to consider individuals and their needs and you should not be treated in that way. I hope you can work it out.

3. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

I don't have to go to group. I joined out of my own desire. I am fortunate that I have Medicare that covers a program like that. Generally, I gain a lot in the groups, but just once in a while I get upset because of my attendance record. If needs be, I will talk with the director of the program to address my issue with attendance and hope he understands my disposition. It's not like I'm making excuses to play hookie. I'm trying hard to keep my attendance regular and I think some workers know that. I'll see what happens and if worse comes to worst, I'm sure I can go to another program (probably not as good as this one). But again, nobody is forcing me to go anywhere. Therefore, I can just quit going to group programs and just see a private psychiatrist and continue to see my outside social worker for counseling. There are options and I'm going to play it by ear of what will happen. Until then, I will try my best to make attendance and see if I can miss days without being threatened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.