venlafaxine / effexor discussion

LILICHIPIE

Removed by Admin - scaremongering.

I have left the general discussion here but removed the posts from 9 years ago. Please remember that while a medication will never work for everyone, scaring people away from getting help is not acceptable here. If a medication is not working for you or you have concerns about it, this must be addressed with your medical doctor. Posts on this thread that suggest medication is 'bad' or that it is more dangerous for people to be medicated than deal with depression and suicidal ideation without treatment will be removed. The position of this forum is that depression is a medical condition that needs to be addressed by a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for posting this...I'm on effexor also...and scared!!!
I've been on venlafaxine for several years now. I've tried unsuccessfully to get off of this drug about three times since I began to take it. It has ruined my life. I have no pleasure in anything. I am constantly thinking about suicide in the last few months. It's getting worse and worse. Today I began checking all my meds to see if any would be a fatal dose. I'm so done I don't want to live.

Luthien Tinuviel

i have been long off that stuff and i feel like it damaged me because i still feel suicidal since then more than ever. my T says its a narcotic. some people i met online disagree. it doesnt matter what it is i guess.

dugga

Hi - I was on Effexor for a few months and it really didn't do anything for me - neither up nor down and no side effects. My psychiatrist changed me to Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) as it supposedly metabolises differently and can work for those patients that find venlafaxine isn't effective. I found the pristiq worked much better. Either way both venlafaxine and desvenlafaxine aren't recommended for patients under the age of 24 but venlafaxine seems to have worse discontinuation issues for some reason. If you are having issues with any drug mention it to your doctor and it's always OK to get a second opinion.

Fudgewobble

Pristiq brought me to this forum. I didn't realize it was the drug. I had suicidal ideation for a long time but on the drug it intensified to the point of planning and dreaming about it constantly. The dose was doubled and the effects doubled. Weaning off was hard but it's out of my system now and I'm back to a level I'm familiar with.
Zoloft, seraquel and mirtazapine all did the same. So now I'm trying to get control of inflammation in my body and use meditation, exercise and therapy. Fingers crossed.
Big hugs to all who are struggling to find a balance.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I've been on venlafaxine for two years, 150mg and felt increasingly worse. After my attempt they put it up to 300mg, even though I told them I don't think it's working. Last week they raised it to the highest dose of 375mg. I haven't taken the extra dose yet as I really don't see the point but they're all putting pressure on me to take it. Not sure what to do...

Michonne

This makes me not want to try new antidepressants. nothing has helped me yet, but it least they did not seem to make it worse. Scary.

Fudgewobble

I've been on venlafaxine for two years, 150mg and felt increasingly worse. After my attempt they put it up to 300mg, even though I told them I don't think it's working. Last week they raised it to the highest dose of 375mg. I haven't taken the extra dose yet as I really don't see the point but they're all putting pressure on me to take it. Not sure what to do...
That's awful Lucy. I wonder if you can find the FDA report and show them and ask if that could be you?

dugga

Pristiq brought me to this forum. I didn't realize it was the drug. I had suicidal ideation for a long time but on the drug it intensified to the point of planning and dreaming about it constantly. The dose was doubled and the effects doubled. Weaning off was hard but it's out of my system now and I'm back to a level I'm familiar with.
Zoloft, seraquel and mirtazapine all did the same. So now I'm trying to get control of inflammation in my body and use meditation, exercise and therapy. Fingers crossed.
Big hugs to all who are struggling to find a balance.
Hi @Fudgewobble - that can happen. Everyone's brain works differently and sometimes meds can have the opposite effect to what was intended. That happened to me with mirtrazapine... I just wanted to self-destruct. I'm on a combination of pristiq and seroquel now and doing OK. I hope you and your doc find a med that works for you.

dugga

Hi @Lulabelle - I think after two years they might want to try something else. Your doc can also try augmenting your medication with another med to give it a push. That's what my doc did with me. Wasn't really getting anything out of the pristiq until it was augmented with seroquel at night. Now seems to be under control as much as it can be. I hope everyone works out... remember you can always get another opinion and don't be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions.

Fudgewobble

Thanks @dugga, I'm really glad both those work for you. How long before you knew they were the right ones?
Even Zoloft stopped working for me after I had been on it for nearly 10 years. So I tried nothing for nearly 4 yrs now and just recently couldn't take it anymore. But still no luck, so back to trying alternative therapies and lifestyle changes.

dugga

Thanks @dugga, I'm really glad both those work for you. How long before you knew they were the right ones?
Even Zoloft stopped working for me after I had been on it for nearly 10 years. So I tried nothing for nearly 4 yrs now and just recently couldn't take it anymore. But still no luck, so back to trying alternative therapies and lifestyle changes.
Hi @Fudgewobble - it took about six months to get the right dosage. Major problem was lack of sleep - I was only getting two hours at a time. Seroquel knocks me out for 7 hours if I take 100mg. Makes a big difference to your mood and your state of mind when you get a good night's sleep. I was on prozac for about six years before it became ineffective. I guess we are all lucky that big pharma keeps investing in research for new medications. AD meds are a big money spinner for them. I'd just like a permanent fix - I'm sure we all would. Take care.

Mayle Jay

I've been on Effexor for...a few months? It's a combined with Zoloft. This is my sweet spot, it's really working for me. However, like most antidepressants, they will cause awful withdrawal symptoms; aching, cold sweat, shaking, nausea, etc. This is why you should never quit cold turkey and always talk to your doctor about weening you off of it.

Keep in mind that all antidepressants are different for different people. There's no reason to panic (though I get anxiety doesn't care about reason). Take your meds responsibly and talk your concerns out with your doc. Don't just give up if you're doing well for fear of the future. A conversation with your doc is always ten times better than just quitting. Trust me, I've been there as I'm sure many of you have as well.

I was on Effexor for a year and spent the whole time crying in my room, listening to depressing music and attempted to hang myself multiple times. I got off of it slowly over 3 months and it was absolute HELL. I really thought I was dying. Days spent lying on the floor screaming because of the withdrawal. I swear all the psychiatric drugs have permanently damaged my mind and body. I now have severe panic attacks every day and my psychiatrist is fed up with me refusing medication so at the last appointment she bullied me into taking Effexor again and now I am online looking up ways to die again. If I don't take it, I'm going to have severe panic attacks again and if I stay on it I might hurt myself. What a nightmare.

PS. Any info on Trazadone? My psychiatrist has also given me this too for insomnia.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
I know someone who was on Paxil before Effexor. Discontinuation of Paxil for was very unpleasant for her. Doc transitioned her to Effexor. It worked, but not fully. So her doc added Welbutrin. Still a bit of depression hanging on. Her doc tapered her off Effexor, then added Cipralex, then tapered off the Welbutrin. (SHE DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE DISCONTINUATION SYMPTOM!) Ta-da!! Cipralex worked. :)

It'a trial and error. And some meds have more side effects and discontinuation effects than others. And the side effects/discontinuation can be different for everyone become people's metabolisms are different.

Stopping meds should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be done with a doctor's supervision. Cold turkey discontinuation can be unpleasant and even dangerous.

If meds discontinuation is a problem in your life, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR about what you are experiencing and what can be done to help you through it.

OP, I hope you find a med/meds combo that works for you or psychotherapy/CBT/DBT/talk therapy that works for you.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
I've never felt as suicidal as I do on these but my Dr won't let me come off of them or reduce the dosage (am on 375mg). This week I've cut out the 75mg and so far no effects. I'll cut out another 75mg next week and see how I go...

Angel368

I've never felt as suicidal as I do on these but my Dr won't let me come off of them or reduce the dosage (am on 375mg). This week I've cut out the 75mg and so far no effects. I'll cut out another 75mg next week and see how I go...
You should really stick with the dosage the doctor has given you, until it is supplemented with something else or your doctor can monitor your reduction closely. You do have a say about which medication you take, so keep speaking to your doctor about venlafaxine, especially if you think it is increasing your suicidal thoughts.

Edmund Dantes

idk, I've been on venlafaxine for a couple years now, it keeps my panic attacks under control. Doesn't do much for my depression. I still wanna die but I'd say it's not as bad as before I was on venlafaxine...Least I'm not attempting to kill myself multiple times a day like I was before. But I probably should get on another type of medication to get my depression taken care of.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
You should really stick with the dosage the doctor has given you, until it is supplemented with something else or your doctor can monitor your reduction closely. You do have a say about which medication you take, so keep speaking to your doctor about venlafaxine, especially if you think it is increasing your suicidal thoughts.
I know I should but every time I tell them I don't think it's working for me they up the dose rather than let me try something different...

Angel368

I hear you @Lulabelle, I have asked for my medication to be changed or reviewed in the beginning of August but I keep getting the run around and I was just too distressed/tired/confused/suicidal etc to really press my point. It's unfortunate that you have to be hard/make a complaint /get really mad/cuss people out before you can get the mental health professionals to listen to you. And most of the time if you are in crisis you don't have the energy to do what you need to do. I am going to speak to crisis team about it again after my holidays and hopefully they'll listen to me as it'll then be over 6 weeks since my last increase.

One of the nurses suggested a mood stabiliser (I can't remember the name) so maybe you can ask if that's suitable for you.

I actually liked venlafaxine when I first started it as I could feel a difference very quickly, but I think it has stopped working for me now and like you, I have noticed an increase in suicidal thoughts and emotional outbursts.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00