Very dangerous mood swings, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khvde

Hi. I didnt want to create this thread but now I feel like I have to.
I take comcerta for attention deficit disorder. I feel like my mood is changing dangerously. I feel powerful and suicidal, both of these moods last hours.
I wanted to give medication time to see if this effect would go.
Also I was very depressed when I first started my therapy for adhd. It was one or two months ago and I was so depressed I wasnt even able to wash my face.
So I feel like medication isnt the only cause of my problem but it makes my mood very worse.

What do you think, should I stop medication or should I call my psychiatrist?

We have only strattera, medikinet, ritalin and concerta here. I tried them all. I have no other choice left. This is why I am afraid to call my psychiatrist.
Because I dont know if he can do anything.

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
If you have had same experience with antidepressants several times now having a very negative effect on moods swings or making feel like are out of control make this very clear to the psychiatrist. You had another thread where you were questioning the possibility of Bipolar - bring up your concerns when you speak to the psychiatrist you know you far better than he does in a few minutes interview and if that concern were true it would make very clear why antidepressants do not work well. I am not a DR and am not saying that is the case at all- just that it is okay to ask him to explain his choice in meds. If you really think he is wrong it is reasonable to ask him to justify his choice until you are satisfied it makes sense to you . Hoping the best for you and really hope you get something that really helps.

Khvde

If you have had same experience with antidepressants several times now having a very negative effect on moods swings or making feel like are out of control make this very clear to the psychiatrist. You had another thread where you were questioning the possibility of Bipolar - bring up your concerns when you speak to the psychiatrist you know you far better than he does in a few minutes interview and if that concern were true it would make very clear why antidepressants do not work well. I am not a DR and am not saying that is the case at all- just that it is okay to ask him to explain his choice in meds. If you really think he is wrong it is reasonable to ask him to justify his choice until you are satisfied it makes sense to you . Hoping the best for you and really hope you get something that really helps.
Well my pschiatrist is the one who thinks I am secretly bipolar in addition to adhd. But I dont want him to be right. This is why I dont tell him about being suicidal and stuff.

bobbob

SF Supporter
Hi. I didnt want to create this thread but now I feel like I have to.
I take comcerta for attention deficit disorder. I feel like my mood is changing dangerously. I feel powerful and suicidal, both of these moods last hours.
I wanted to give medication time to see if this effect would go.
Also I was very depressed when I first started my therapy for adhd. It was one or two months ago and I was so depressed I wasnt even able to wash my face.
So I feel like medication isnt the only cause of my problem but it makes my mood very worse.

What do you think, should I stop medication or should I call my psychiatrist?

We have only strattera, medikinet, ritalin and concerta here. I tried them all. I have no other choice left. This is why I am afraid to call my psychiatrist.
Because I dont know if he can do anything.
Hi Khvde
Sorry to hear that your mood has gone down again. I hope you got some of your studies finished while feeling ok. Im afraid I cant offer any advice on medications. But hope you are feeling better soon.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Let me answer Khvde by mentioning my own case. I used to take the medication,Navane, but the side-effects of those meds made me feel even worse. Basically, the side-effect was Akathisia which means my body would suddenly jerk every minute or so, and also I was Unable to sit still for more than a few seconds. Basically, I was like a puppet whose strings were being jerked every few seconds. As a result, I had to be constantly walking around. And if I tried to sleep, the Akathisia would jerk me awake every minute or so. So I could not get decent sleep.
Eventually, I convinced my psychiatrist to take me off the meds. Now the therapy I am on is Cognitive therapy which is basically talk combined with meditating, which works very well for me. So now it's not medication but meditation. Ironically, notice that it's a difference of just one letter in the word--from medication to meditation.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
ADHD is too widely Dx'd its more likely you more likely evolved beyond adhd into adulthood into other condition but another issue is its hard to label so people just throw us all into neat labeled category... Too many people are labeled with it and bipolar is a mood disorder category that falls with adhd symptoms. Ive seen several bipolars react bad with the adhd drugs offered sounds like you need to get the mood stablized in order to be able to focus and the ADHD drugs are not the right category of meds to try at this time...mood needs to be stable before focus issues

When I was on ADHD drugs long time ago..I was calmer, mellow and focused. I miss those days.

Khvde

ADHD is too widely Dx'd its more likely you more likely evolved beyond adhd into adulthood into other condition but another issue is its hard to label so people just throw us all into neat labeled category... Too many people are labeled with it and bipolar is a mood disorder category that falls with adhd symptoms. Ive seen several bipolars react bad with the adhd drugs offered sounds like you need to get the mood stablized in order to be able to focus and the ADHD drugs are not the right category of meds to try at this time...mood needs to be stable before focus issues

When I was on ADHD drugs long time ago..I was calmer, mellow and focused. I miss those days.

I believe I have adhd. I dont think that was a misdiagnosis.

What is your diagnosis, which medications do you take?

Wow you were calmer on adhd meds. My mood gets highs and lows when I am on them. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

By the way before taking adhd treatment I was already depressed so I had that mood issue.

Khvde

Let me answer Khvde by mentioning my own case. I used to take the medication,Navane, but the side-effects of those meds made me feel even worse. Basically, the side-effect was Akathisia which means my body would suddenly jerk every minute or so, and also I was Unable to sit still for more than a few seconds. Basically, I was like a puppet whose strings were being jerked every few seconds. As a result, I had to be constantly walking around. And if I tried to sleep, the Akathisia would jerk me awake every minute or so. So I could not get decent sleep.
Eventually, I convinced my psychiatrist to take me off the meds. Now the therapy I am on is Cognitive therapy which is basically talk combined with meditating, which works very well for me. So now it's not medication but meditation. Ironically, notice that it's a difference of just one letter in the word--from medication to meditation.
Talk therapy is expensive and I am afraid it wont work I am afraid they will just take my money and make a fool out of me.

ThePhantomLady

Safety and Support
SF Supporter
I agree with what everyone else have said, you really should be honest with your psychiatrist, that way you get the help you need. I know it's not easy sometimes to tell all, but remember a psychiatrist can't read your mind, they might try, but if you're not honest they can't give you the treatment you need, and deserve.

Please take good care of yourself hun *hugs* I hope it all gets better soon

DrownedFishOnFire

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I believe I have adhd. I dont think that was a misdiagnosis.

What is your diagnosis, which medications do you take?

Wow you were calmer on adhd meds. My mood gets highs and lows when I am on them. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

By the way before taking adhd treatment I was already depressed so I had that mood issue.
It does suck major dealing with the mood issues. Hugs. No point in asking me what I'm labeled with as I'm currently refusing to see a psych doc or follow a medication program regimen everytime I went or was hospitalized they kept changing my Dx. Just take that in consideration.

Khvde

It does suck major dealing with the mood issues. Hugs. No point in asking me what I'm labeled with as I'm currently refusing to see a psych doc or follow a medication program regimen everytime I went or was hospitalized they kept changing my Dx. Just take that in consideration.

I agree with you. Everytime you go they label you differently.
It makes me feel like they dont know what they are doing.
What were your past diagnosis?

DrownedFishOnFire

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yep...hid too many things from the doctors and social workers/case managers back then being afraid of being judged and what happened in the family stayed in the family saying applied to me in my case. I never talked in those sessions frustrating them to no end. Back then its easier to let a kid slip thru the cracks in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00