veteran with service dog for PTSD gets kicked out of a restaurant

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by morning rush, Aug 28, 2013.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

yep, the owner said that PTSD is not a legitimate illness and therefor he kicked him and his fake dog out. The veteran had the papers to prove his dog was legitimate and even called the police but the owner didn't budge...what an ignorant jackass.

now he's complaining of getting insults through phone calls and people outside...even threats of burning down his restaurant...Although I wouldn't burn out his restaurant, I would gather friends and other supporting people and form a protests right in front of his restaurants....and I would send him pamphlets of what PTSD is...
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes giving him knowledge is a good way to i hope get him to see his ignorance and hope that he would apologize to the veteran
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

He can reserve the right to serve anybody and we don't really know the full story of what transpired, but rather than people threatening the owner, they should use this as an opportunity to help educate both the owner and the community about PTSD and related illness. Good things should rise up from these type of situations, rather than just more hatred in reverse.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

That is sad and a real shame for all concerned, especially the veteran!

Where I live, a person cannot be refused entry/service because they are accompanied by a service animal. It would be considered a violation of human rights. Pick, I hope you're right that this incident is used as an opportunity to educate and increase awareness.
  5. morning rush

pickwithaustin you are wrong. The owner said that PTSD wasn't a real illness that is why he told him to get out of his restaurant with his fake dog, these were his own words! I saw it in the news cast and ACY is right, he cannot refuse someone with a service dog, it's the law. So the veteran will raise this complaint to the handicapped association...because the restaurant owner was in the wrong. And the restaurant owner said that he didn't care what people thought, PTSD was not a real illness that gave the vet the right to have a service dog...
  6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

7. morning rush

you raise an interesting point fighting the tide, but I think that if you ask the owner to pet the dog and he says yes, then it should be okay...I've seen blind people with their dog sit in the subway and someone asking to pet the dog, sometimes they say yes other times they say no, it doesn't change the fact that he's a service dog, it just means that we're all human
  8. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

uggg that's disgusting

was it a big chain of places?

or just somewhere small
  9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Yes, interesting point about patting the animal. I've watched several news stories about service animals...When they are in their special jackets/bandannas/harnesses, it means they are "at work," and other people are not supposed to pat them. However, not everyone is aware of that, so of course some people do pat them. Maybe that causes confusion :noidea: Nonetheless, anyone with their service animal and the papers to show it's a service animal is supposed to be accorded the dignity and respect for their right to bring in a service animal and be served (at least where I live).

Just by coincidence, service dogs for veterans with PTSD was a full segment on a national news program here just last weekend. The positive effect of having the animal was very apparent. The veterans were able to function again. One military base was even allowing one person to return to service with their dog! I doubt they'd send them into a war zone for active duty, but to return to work on a base is a huge improvement for someone who could barely get through the day before!

Yay service animals! Yay for veterans who are being helped by service animals! :)
  10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I did not say that I agreed or disagreed, I only said that we don't know the full story. A private business onwer can refuse service to anyone that they wish - it does not mean that there cannot be reprecautions as a result, of course. I tend to not take media reports as gospel. What I did state was that it is wrong for people to threaten to burn the restaurant down. Such style of retaliation surely makes all equally as bad and wrong, or even worse. Education and awareness are the key, always, to the solutions (something I spend a lot of time focused on, for sure).