Ways To Help SF, a Suicide and Depression Support Forum

Discussion in 'Supporting SF' started by ★ SF Staff (CP), May 16, 2015.

1. ★ SF Staff (CP)

★ SF Staff (CP) Administrator Staff Member Safety & Support

The Suicide Forum is a peer to peer support forum that's sole purpose is to provide a venue for emotional support for those that are suicidal, or that have been effected by suicide or somebody else that is suicidal. The forum owner and all staff are volunteers. We don't sell advertising or paid posts of any kind here, nor allow research or even gathering of statistical information. The costs of maintaining and running this forum (hosting, bandwidth, licencing fees for chat and Vbulletin, etc) are not insignificant but are paid entirely by the owner, and by donations so that we can keep SF advertisement and spam free and avoid any possible conflicts of interest.

Members often ask what they can do to help support SF, so here are some ways -

1. Support other members here when you feel able. Whether it is just acknowledging that you read the post and care, providing a sympathetic and non-judgmental ear make a lot of difference. If you feel you have advice that would be useful , or ideas then please share them. Even telling others about your problems and struggles, while therapeutic for you hopefully, also lets others know they are not alone and not the only one with these feelings. Answering a thread or posting a kind remark on somebody's visitor wall shows caring and support. Stopping in to chat and talking to somebody (even if it is about nothing important) just so they do not have to be alone for a few minutes is a great help.

The best way to support SF is to support and show kindness to other members.

2. Follow the few rules and guidelines we have here. Review the the forum rules and guidelines on occasion and please follow them to reduce the amount of extra work for the owner and staff (that are all volunteers that are here for the same reason as you - to get and give support to other members. Nobody wants to do infractions and deal with issues that could be avoided by simply following the minimal guidelines that are here for the safety and protection of all members.

3. Donations are accepted through Paypal to cover the costs of hosting and running SF. Nobody makes money from it, and most months total donations cover less than 1/4 of the total costs. Donations are completely voluntary, we do not actively solicit or email for donations. We do not give any special status to people that donate because all members here are treated equally without regards to financial ability to help. Donations will not help you get offered a position on staff or make up for infractions or give any special status or permissions. They are however very much appreciated and make it financially possible to keep SF open and advertising free. If you are able to donate comfortably, then any donation is helpful.

We have a lot of members so a lot of $5 or $10 donations from different members are just as helpful as the occasional $50 or $100 donation. If you decide you want to contribute with a donation, $5 is appreciated just as much as larger donations and ask you only donate an amount that you are comfortable with and that does not leave you short of necessities. Recurring $5 or $10 donations if made be even a small percentage of our members would keep SF active and advertisement free. If you are able to donate comfortably in any amount please use the PayPal Link below to do so.

Donate

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

how can we help with money now?

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

You can always donate towards monthly costs (license fees, hosting costs, bandwidth) through Paypal.

Paypal allows you to donate with credit/debit cards or checks - PayPal Link

From Paypal use this email to donate to the verified Suicide Forum account whatever amount you like Alsnchick@gmail.com

Thank you !

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The PayPal donate is now set up here to help cover monthly fees. Simply click the "Donate" on the menu bar and choose your donation amount through PayPal.

5. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Love the new feature

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Wow, I am amazed we hit our 115dollar target in less than 24 hours, not too surprised though because I know how generous the folks on SF are. Thank you all for the donations <3

7. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Since I live in Australia and the currency conversion is pretty heft here, because of the World economy, the most I can donate to SF, I am sorry, is $7 AUD (Australian Dollars), so I hope that you do not mind that I am only able to donate a small fraction of the donations that you are looking for, If If I could afford more (currently broke until I get I get paid for my last travel article I wrote, I hope it is enough for the time being?

4 people like this.
  8. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

$7 is a generous donation and certainly nothing to apologise for! We are incredibly grateful for your support Moat and even a few pennies contributes to keeping SF running. Thank you so much on behalf of SF *hug*

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Moat, thank you SO much for your donations. Every little helps and it is the thought that counts. I am really happy you decided to donate to SF, again thanks very much.