• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Welp? It appears as though we’ve missed it, so I’m going to make today’s cafe, technically yesterday… & just hope then that Jim, can forgive me! It’s

Bod27

Well-Known Member
#41
I had a lovely black and white cat while i was growing up but when she died I said I wouldn't have another one until I have a place of my own - and I am still renting so that hasn't happened yet.
There was a cat that came and visited us for cuddles about 8 or 9 years ago; that was lovely and he really helped my mh.
I really miss my cat (she made it to 16 yo) even though she died 25 years ago.
photo of her as a kitten Screenshot_20240414-050321_OneDrive.jpg
 

Dante

Life-long ponderer.. and Git.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#46
Have you given any thought... into getting one now?
Plenty of thought, but I never grew up looking after one so the effort of always having to be ready to give attention seems tiring rather than natural, and the big issue: It would make going away on holiday harder.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#47
Plenty of thought, but I never grew up looking after one so the effort of always having to be ready to give attention seems tiring rather than natural, and the big issue: It would make going away on holiday harder.
I understand. I know some who have only acquired their first pet, like a cat or a dog, once they'd reached adulthood. And so were in similar position or predicament. I'd say a cat, is "easier" than a dog--in terms of being, 'less maintenance." (having to walk, etc.)

But the big question is if you'd want to do it, if you'd thought you could handle it (which you wouldn't know, of course, until you'd tried it out). They're pretty resiliant creatures. Give off plenty of affection (as you can tell from owners around here). But whether or not you would gravitate towards them, and bond with them, and respond in a favorable enough fashion to take on the responsibility of owning one, is a question you'd have to answer for yourself. Many people want one, but can't afford one (litter, food, etc.)

They have different personalities, and temperaments, kind of like humans. So they can be super personable, outgoing & seeking your constant attention. Or they can be loners. More kept to themselves. Come to you, when they want to - kind of a thing. And everything in between.

If you adopt one from the shelter who is not a kitten, chances are they may already be potty trained. They can be more easily left alone (with proper food & water left out, or someone to come check on them periodically) than dogs. There are also places to drop them off, or hire people to come & care for them.

Hard to say if it's worth it? Because the only answer that matters is if it's worth it to you. They're not for everybody, but I'd guess, unless you just simply don't have any time (to spare) for them. Or are unwilling to give them your love. They wouldn't be as much work, in terms of the responsibility department, as you might otherwise imagine now. But I could be wrong! So I understand your position. Bottom line, they're not as hard (probably) as you think... You can both sort of "adapt," to one another. If that makes sense?
 

Dante

Life-long ponderer.. and Git.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#48
I understand. I know some who have only acquired their first pet, like a cat or a dog, once they'd reached adulthood. And so were in similar position or predicament. I'd say a cat, is "easier" than a dog--in terms of being, 'less maintenance." (having to walk, etc.)

But the big question is if you'd want to do it, if you'd thought you could handle it (which you wouldn't know, of course, until you'd tried it out). They're pretty resiliant creatures. Give off plenty of affection (as you can tell from owners around here). But whether or not you would gravitate towards them, and bond with them, and respond in a favorable enough fashion to take on the responsibility of owning one, is a question you'd have to answer for yourself. Many people want one, but can't afford one (litter, food, etc.)

They have different personalities, and temperaments, kind of like humans. So they can be super personable, outgoing & seeking your constant attention. Or they can be loners. More kept to themselves. Come to you, when they want to - kind of a thing. And everything in between.

If you adopt one from the shelter who is not a kitten, chances are they may already be potty trained. They can be more easily left alone (with proper food & water left out, or someone to come check on them periodically) than dogs. There are also places to drop them off, or hire people to come & care for them.

Hard to say if it's worth it? Because the only answer that matters is if it's worth it to you. They're not for everybody, but I'd guess, unless you just simply don't have any time (to spare) for them. Or are unwilling to give them your love. They wouldn't be as much work, in terms of the responsibility department, as you might otherwise imagine now. But I could be wrong! So I understand your position. Bottom line, they're not as hard (probably) as you think... You can both sort of "adapt," to one another. If that makes sense?
Auri will want a dog eventually, probably a very small one. I still think a sugar glider is a good idea. (Epic cuteness and fun)

Sugar Glider:
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#49
Auri will want a dog eventually, probably a very small one. I still think a sugar glider is a good idea. (Epic cuteness and fun)

Sugar Glider:
HA, that's funny! Your story, on Auri's intentions for you, and your pet-owning plans. . . as I remember someone once telling me at a group home I'd worked at. That they were referred to, as "ankle-biters!" ;D (quite the character, he was!) ..;) ruff / I must admit, I like your idea as well. Not sure how well the two would, or would not blend in together, though?
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00
Top