What are the Words You Regret Not Saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
I saw this question and I thought that saying something you wish you hadn't is something that gets talked about a lot but often the more damaging things are the words you didn't say when you should have. I think sometimes those are the ones that eat our brains and we don't tell people about.

Some of the words I regret not saying:

"I don't know what to do and I need help."
"My safety is more important than your sexual satisfaction and if you don't consider that to be the case, that's your failure, not mine."
"No" (many many many times that I didn't).

What are the words you regret NOT saying?

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
"I'm not strong enough"

After trying to convince myself I could use willpower to fight the delusional thoughts caused by a psychosis years ago.
Turns out I just needed medication, first and foremost. Not expressing myself, how I felt and not trusting anyone... It made the suffering last a lot longer in the end.

"I don't want to feel like this forever"

I never said this out loud before to anyone close to me, I think... After many years of severe anxiety and overall numbness, I'm finally tired of myself - still unaware of what I can possibly do to understand myself better.
Acceptance is not the ultimate answer, I've lived with myself for all this time - It's impossible to grieve and go through these stages of denial, anger, depression, more and acceptance - over something that makes me feel like I'm not here.

Ever since my dear old Dad passed away, I've come to realize he was
the best person in our dysfunctional family.

I just wish I'd have come to that realization while he was around and
told him so.

The shame is; he had a shot at music stardom, but it just didn't pan out.
As a teenager living in Nashville, the Everly Brothers lived a few streets
over and were acquaintances, went to the same High School.

He also played weekly on the Grande Old Opry Radio Show, and won a
musical competition in New York, both as a teenager.

I'm hoping he's somewhere on the 'other side', and will greet me when
I go. He was my GOD; Good Old Dad.*grouphug2

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Two people mainly for me, my mother and her mom, my grandmother. I wish I had said many things about how I cared about them and were thankful for them both went downhill mentally from all there to mentally slipped and unconscious quickly. Just thought there would be more time.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I regret not telling my step dad how much I loved him. After my children he was the best person who I ever had in my life. I was a hideously stroppy teenager and I treated him so badly. I'm not sure if I ever told him I loved him at all. It never really occurred to me that someone could be taken away so suddenly.

Two people mainly for me, my mother and her mom, my grandmother. I wish I had said many things about how I cared about them and were thankful for them both went downhill mentally from all there to mentally slipped and unconscious quickly. Just thought there would be more time.
I can so relate to your post.

I didn't stick around to ask more questions when I knew something was wrong that day. I was in a hurry. She'd done this before plenty of times. It would be fine.
Then she killed herself. Sorry, mom.
Powerful post.

I did find out later in my son’s suicide, that he not only planned his exit strategy, but that he had attempted two times earlier.

I had NO knowledge of his spiral of sadness.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Things I regret not saying:
"I don't think I understand"
"I need help" - In the right way to the right people
"I love you"
"This is hurting me"
"You don't get to control me"
"I can't do that"
"I cannot take on anymore projects right now"
"No"
"I'm sorry"

So many more things I suppose. The things I didn't say haunt me as much as those I did.

I regret not telling people how I felt before they left my life. I regret not making amends with people before they died.
My Dad was dying of heart failure in the hospital. I was very thankful we were able to talk a few things out before he passed. He was an extraordinary man, but he struggled with alcoholism, and dueling personalities when drinking. I got the brunt of his nastiness as my sisters had moved out for college.

I forgave him. I told him that. More importantly that I loved him.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
My Dad was dying of heart failure in the hospital. I was very thankful we were able to talk a few things out before he passed. He was an extraordinary man, but he struggled with alcoholism, and dueling personalities when drinking. I got the brunt of his nastiness as my sisters had moved out for college.

I forgave him. I told him that. More importantly that I loved him.
I'm really glad you got the chance to talk things out with him before he passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$255.00