What do i do if i dont remember if it took the meds or not?

Summer.Rain

So skipping is not allowed, but double dosage of bad too, so what will be the better option?
Lets say i have a pill that i take every morning, but then i forgot if i took it or not, should i go and take it?

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
If you took double dosage and nothing severe is happening, there shouldn’t be any worries. You can continue per usual. Some meds are okay to skip a dose, unless you’re well manageable without it. Some meds does has instructions on their labels like what to do if forget/being aware of its side effects. Like if you forget, does it has strict timing when you can take it again? Try callin your pharmacist. All the best.

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
So skipping is not allowed, but double dosage of bad too, so what will be the better option?
Lets say i have a pill that i take every morning, but then i forgot if i took it or not, should i go and take it?
Perhaps use a dosette box?? I used to do that, now I get mine blister packed from the pharmacy.

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
If you can't get ahold of your pharmacist, you could try getting a hold of you prescribing physician. Or, in the absence of that, some hospitals & clinics have on-call nurses available; & they can then consult an on call physician, if need be. Just might need to have your medication list ready, if you are not an established patient there. So they can know what else you're taking.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
It really depends on the med and you should ask your doctor or pharmacist to be sure. In my experience it's usually a worse feeling to accidentally take too much of psych med than to skip a dose, just be extra sure to take it the next day.

I have a phone app that I use to track my moods, and I always jot down in there when I take my pills so if I space I can check that.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
As already mentioned, the answer to your question really depends on the med in question. Some have narrow therapeutic indices which can increase the likelihood (and possible severity) of side effects.
As a starting point, check the patient information leaflet for any guidance regarding missed doses. Failing that, tap up your pharmacist for advice.

Going forward, to help avoid missed doses, yeah dossette boxes can be a great help, but that is dependant on the stability of drugs in compliance aids. Some can go in there no problems, others are a big no no for such devices. As an alternative, perhaps ask if your meds come in calender packs ie the days of the week marked on the reverse of the blister.
There are many ways to help to maintain compliance, including apps so it may be worth having a chat with your pharmacist if this is proving an issue.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Ooooh, that's interesting. I always put all my meds for the week in one. How can we tell which ones are okay to do that with and which ones aren't?
By asking a pharmacist *thumbsup

There is a database I tend to use which provides a wealth of info including suitability of meds in compliance aids. Additionally, at times it may suggest in the PIL to keep the meds in it's original packaging.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Oh, this is interesting. Are those boxes less of protection against sun/temperature or something?
Yes indeed. In fact they'll offer minimal protection. Factors which can accelerate drug deterioration are sun/light temperature and moisture and which dosette boxes provide a minute barrier against.
There's also the issue of physical drug drug interactions. For example take Calcium tablets. They have the potential to collate with other meds, forming non-soluble complexes and so buggering absorption and therefore efficacy.
You can also add the issue of hygroscopic soluble or dispersible tablets. Again best not to incorporate them into dosette boxes due to the risk of theoretical reactions with the moisture.

General rule of thumb, is commonly not more than 4 weeks supply of meds in such compartent aids due to existing data regarding stability, although this can be shortened for certain meds with stability issues.

I could go on about dossette boxes, but hey it's Saturday and why bore you or anyone else?

SaFa61947

Kaiser Franz
The moment you remember that you didn't take the pill, take it then, and adjust the following schedule. For example, you say you take a pill every morning at 08:00, but then you remember at 10:00, take it then and next day take it at 10:00 and so on.

This way you don't skip and you don't take double dosage.

Those are general rules and probably why it was said to you not to skip neither double. For some drugs timing means a lot for others not so much.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00