• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

What do you do when there's no way to afford therapy?

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#2
I cannot afford it either
I write,
and exercise,
and attempt to be caring to myself as though I were worthy of it even though I'm not really.
Eat right most of the time,
I don't drink alcohol except occasionally,
And make an effort in keeping off the thought loops that lead to s h.
 
#3
Sorry that you're unable to afford therapy. There may be some other treatment options that can help.

A lot can depend on what you need therapy for. If you are depressed, and how you think is a factor in that, then cognitive behavioral therapy might help, and you may be able to learn cbt techniques on your own.

reading-well.org.uk (no www) has a list of self-treatment books. There is one book on the list that is the most highly recommended cbt book that I have encountered for treating depression:

Mind Over Mood, Second Edition: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think

Dennis Greenberger, Christine A. Padesky

Group therapy is a lower-cost alternative to individual therapy. If you have a common health problem, sometimes there are support groups.

These two links might be worth looking at, especially the second one:

Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture, World's Second Largest Medical System

Self-Treatment and Miscellaneous

Anti-depressants and other medications are often affordable, especially if they're covered by insurance, or if they're generic.
 

Lady Wolfshead

wishes you well
#4
@Nomorehope2 @seabird - Youtube is amazing and has several therapy channels. I like Therapy in a Nutshell and Dr. Tracey Marks, and the Crappy Childhood Fairy. I've done lots of IRL therapy and their videos are the same type of information and exercises and advice you get in therapy.

If you live in a city with a university that offers a Master's degree in Counselling Psychology, they often have free therapy from students about to graduate and doing practicums.

Some nonprofit organizations offer free therapy. In my city the local Suicide prevention organization offers up to 6 months of free weekly sessions. Mental health groups and sexual assault services may offer counselling.

Online and telephone therapy may be cheaper but isn't always a good option. Organizations like Betterhelp have been found to sell information to Facebook (I don't know what information but it still sucks). So I would check the privacy policy carefully if you go this route. I've had telephone therapy through my employer's EAP program, and they offered me the option to not have calls recorded so I chose that.

@may71 suggested Mind Over Mood, which is great, but for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy I prefer The Feeling Good Handbook because it covers cognitive distortions which I personally found really helpful.
 
#5
If you're in the US or Canada, you might want to try calling 211. They may be able to help connect your to affordable therapy or other healthcare.
 

Egg119

SF Supporter
#6
A lot can depend on what you need therapy for. If you are depressed, and how you think is a factor in that, then cognitive behavioral therapy might help, and you may be able to learn cbt techniques on your own.

reading-well.org.uk (no www) has a list of self-treatment books. There is one book on the list that is the most highly recommended cbt book that I have encountered for treating depression:
If you are in the UK, some of the books from the reading well list may be available from your local library. I'm currently reading the 'overcoming low self esteem' book from my local library.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top