What does it all mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was at a party, having a great time with all my friends, living life to its fullest, etc. Then I realized, why am I wasting my time here? I mean, sure, I'm having fun at the moment, but when I wake up, I'm going to feel wasted, and in truth, I pretty much wasted an entire day. You could say that I might have used my time more wisely, but for what? What is our purpose here on earth? We take our lives and all their superfluous events for granted. You could say that we live to die. We all die some day; the only way we can avoid this is by reproducing, therefore passing on a part of ourselves. Ours is a hollow existence...

A

ArborrealArthritis

“He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise.” -Henry David Thoreau

smk

well perhaps there isn't anything better that you could be doing...if you where to compare yourself to a cell of a system...a red blood cell carries oxygen that's what it does and i suppose it's good at it. now finding something that your good at and doing it well its another process.

i think at some point most everyone comes up with their own answer to that question, to make a sort of peace with it, and that probably is the only way...next time your out having fun, don't worry about such a thing...maybe thinking about the kind of person you would like to be....

if your looking on an "up" side of life, then imo the reason for it is not to squander your tie here, do the things you want to do and feck the consequences, as you said yourself one day we do die, and i always had the opinion that when we are born our deths are prewritten, so you cant get away from it.
so do the fun things you want to do and what will be will be.

but on the meaning of life question, no one knows what it is. you should find what the meaning of YOUR life is, ie to work, to play, to be a parent, etc.

our lives are what we make them.

:dunno:

plates

“He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise.” -Henry David Thoreau

I like that, my old counsellor should have been Thoreau, she said exactly the same but without the quotations or the pomposity :wink: No offense....:unsure: :biggrin:

Enjoy what you eat, enjoy when you're actually enjoying something and treasure those times. But if, like you say, (and I don't go to parties or anything), but my party is generally on myself out in London sometimes and at times I feel just like you. I need to stop it if it's getting destructive and feeling like I'm trying to run away from something.

Maybe you're trying to run away from something? Maybe you're trying to escape something? But why not just enjoy something, if it's working for you?

A

ArborrealArchduke

I like that, my old counsellor should have been Thoreau, she said exactly the same but without the quotations or the pomposity :wink: No offense....:unsure: :biggrin:
Yeah.. how arrogant I am to pay homage to literary sources when I could just paraphrase and pass ideas off as my own.

Tempestia is simply questioning her purpose. This is not unusual, nor is it detrimental -- it's part of a process we all experience.

The quote I posted remains true. A glutton insists on wanting more -- but satisfaction comes from accepting what you have, and acknowledging it is more than enough.

plates

I'm not attacking you. It was a joke, hence the insertion of the 'big grin'. I was, if you read closely, saying my counsellor said something similar to Thoreau in relation to my eating disorder, if you find that offensive, then, I apologise. She mightn't have even read Thoreau. :dunno:

I'm sure, if someone is living in a really horrible situation and asking why, what's the point, (and there are horrors in this world that isn't sitting around wondering why we are here), then of course, Thoreau, would be true in saying, suck it up and don't complain, don't fight back, just sit and savor the pain.

Sure, the OP was questioning her experience and her life of which you know nothing of. Was I attacking her, no.

Last edited by a moderator:

plates

I actually read something differently in the quote btw. Different from how you intended or interpreted Thoreau :tongue: but thanks for sharing it.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00