What is admittance into a hospital like?

AmberMarie

t fed three times a day and snacks twice a day.
What about special food needs or problems? i occasionally eat 1 tiny meal a day with a couple specific typed of snacks here and there but can't take in more than 750 calories and Must have meds before anything but water (and apparently alcohol) enters my mouth.

I am also in the USA...

AmberMarie

the county mental health program, so they dealt with patients with Medicare, or were indigent, without any insurance
This is my fear... because it's where i stand/sit... my youngest had Medicaid and was in the children's hospital eating disorder unit at the Children's Hospital twice... they treated her like all the rest... by the book. There was Nothing by the book about my youngest. Had no issues eating brownies n things of high calories... Got "fattened up" for lack of a better word... basically got to weight... then discharged. that was it. nothing further. When Medicaid dropped its contract with the hospital, i was devastated and concerned for where we can go. Then the Eating Recovery Center came into play and, still with Medicaid, every person had an individual medical plan specific for their issues. The 2 times of admittance there was also my recovery time. I didn't see/have that the 1st two times. i had to be there every moment for every class and meeting n all sorts of crap. @ the ERC we were informed via phone about progress n had no contact for the 1st week. Then got to visit every weekend. Had classes and meetings a couple times a week. Gave us all a new since of abilities.

Here i'm running on sry... It comes down to...
i understand how people are 95% of the time treated when on government insurance or non at all. With all the kids on Medicaid due to their disabilities, we were nearly always treated like crap n had the overworked, underpaid, n underappreciated taking care of us. Once in a while though... you get that one person who cares greatly and makes a huge difference.

Overall, I think all the stays were necessary
i feel a stay is also necessary... however i have to "work it into" the autistic schedule...

How sad is that!?! Reading what i typed before posting and i find it really sad... yet it's how my life has been... n i never saw how "sad" it was till i typed it out. It's been my "norm". Like someone who has a missing limb from birth... it's their "norm" so there isn't anything sad or different about it... until it's typed out... and one truly sees how different it is compared to what is considered "Normal"...

What is "Normal" anyway??? Besides a bad word!

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
What about special food needs or problems? i occasionally eat 1 tiny meal a day with a couple specific typed of snacks here and there but can't take in more than 750 calories and Must have meds before anything but water (and apparently alcohol) enters my mouth.

I am also in the USA...
They will accommodate special food needs usually, as long as there's a medical reason for it, probably not if you're just on a diet because you want to be. They do pay attention to how much you eat, so if they notice you eat too little, they'd probably diagnose you with an eating disorder. But like I said, if there's a good reason for your eating habits, that's different. 750 calories seems like too little to me, though. And I'm not sure they'll count calories for you, nor do you know specifically how many calories they bring you.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
My body works very differently... If i intake more than that, i quickly gain weight. mt endocrinologist put me on the 750 max... also suggested i intake a slurry of cornstarch and water before eating... *Pukes* no ty!
Like I said, I don't think they'll count calories. I remember they actually gave pretty large portions at the place I was at, probably enough for two people at times. So it would just be a matter of what you yourself choose to eat or don't choose to eat.

Last edited:

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
So sorry I don't have the energy to type out what I wrote/or had written before: and so "assuming," you didn't know what the answer to that was, or what was meant by what I said, it all boils down to this. The Weekends DON'T COUNT towards the 72-hr window (or 'clock.') :) take care @AmberMarie ~

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
So sorry I don't have the energy to type out what I wrote/or had written before: and so "assuming," you didn't know what the answer to that was, or what was meant by what I said, it all boils down to this. The Weekends DON'T COUNT towards the 72-hr window (or 'clock.') :) take care @AmberMarie ~
Eek. I didn't know that. That's good information for the future, just in case. Though, I don't plan on doing anything stupid enough to end up there not by choice either.

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
@AmberMarie - I was put on one my first time in, which was unscheduled, or unprepared & / or unplanned. So from the ER to there, on a late Thurs. over night then into the early morning Fri hrs. Such that, technically, my stay began on Fri (subtract for the week end) & then, I don't believe I was let out until the following Thrus. for some reason or another . . . So, I don't really recall why they kept me a little bit longer, other than to say, that they normally didn't do that - here, anyway - as they are usually trying, or more interested in flipping the bed & sending you packing on your way; provided that you're not ready to try anything silly the minute you hit the parking lot. It's short term crisis intervention. They're not there to care how you're going to be doing in the future, short or long term. For if they're going to wait around for you to, "feel better about yourself, or your life, you're (or they're) going to be / or could be - waiting for a dang long time!" Maybe, as in "indefinitely!" Just look around the forum here at how many of us are 'chronically,' so ~as in, suicidal. So, they only care to keep you from making a threat at once, so to speak. Or an attempt, on your own or others, with respect the ability to hurt. Or pose a danger. Anyway? Once again, I think I said it much more brilliantly, and differently before - but, what is one to do! ;/

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
The thing is... i never considered it a sacrifice.

I know the middle one is trying to make their life better. Becoming an EMT, n recertifying for that. Being a DJ, gaming, and currently attempting to work 3(ish) jobs: teaching first aid n CPR, renovating a hotel, n working at night stocking at a store. Also has great Goals and is working towards those goals.
Wow, if that is your definition of underachieving, or not having reached the pinnacle of succcess, like the rest, who are also high functioning, then I must say your standards are impressively high (at least for a mere moron & an imbecile like me!). :) I got exhausted just half-way through reading that (list). ;) Well, it is a sacrifice, in comparison to how it would otherwise be. But I suppose your view is both proper, and right or correct, as well as rational in the sense that... you haven't got a choice. Short of abandonment, of some kind~ / So, as I said before, give yourself some credit, esp. if no one else around you is interested in doing so. They should be saying, "Thanks Mom!" A hundred-thousand, times a day... but I know that is not realistic. :D And if you're thinking it might be wise or in your best interest to check yourself in, then I think you should at least go in there & have the evaluation done. Answer the questions openly and honestly. Then let them make the decision for you (which they will be happy to do). This way, it is - in a way - taken out of your hands. Yes, you can wait for conditions to be perfect. But matter of fact is, they probably won't, or ever will be. So at some point you've just got to make the decision to go in & get it done. It sounds like w/your exp. w/your daughter and her affliction, and in the system, as it were, as well as some of the feedback here (& you'll notice no one else who's chimed in has had anywhere near so bad as one as me - experience, that is...) you should be moderately prepared for what you're about to face. Should you be granted admittance. It's kind of like a movie, only not. In that it is not dramatized in that way. So to me, it sort of feels like it is, except that it is (in) real life. So sometime if you're sitting in there. Staring at everyone both workers & patients, or "inmates~,' then maybe you'll see waht I mean, and either agree or disagree. Of coures, I nad some additional reasons or factors to beliieve this way, that had to do more with groudns of ethics by or regarding certina staff & some of the things they were tryin gto pull on me. Unfortunatly I was not of so unsound a mind, to have the wool pulled over my eyes. So once again I am biased. And your trip, maybe be much (sunnier would be the inappropriat e or incorrect word). Different, as in better or good. Mor positive/prosperous & therefore overall beneficial. And as I said, if no-thignn else it is a wonderfu l "time-ou," on life & a chance to reset. Just ahve to desensitize a little bit, should the conditions inside be a bit more volatile than you're noramllly used to However w/the household you've run, and been exposed to , maybe the shock value won't be so high as it other wise might have been (w/o?)! ;D

AmberMarie

I don't know how much of my experience may be relevant -
i have gone back and reread posts on this. i find what you have shared with your personal experience very relevant, and i thank you for sharing.
With these questions, i am looking to gain knowledge of the experiences others have had, so it's not so scary of an option for me. The unknown can sometimes be scarier than the current situations... leading to the desire to find the help needed, becoming more of a chore and too scary to bother.

Basically stating, the current situation can sometimes feel like the lesser of the two evils.

Last edited:

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
I mean, oftne tmies, if you don't feel you're capabel of controlling yourseelf, or your implulses, or lets say you might get into a place, or astate - where, you just might not be able to prevent an act of desperation from occurring, then taht is the type of example, taht would be prefectly cood & reasonable, to go & get yourself checked-in. In order to try & prevent the unthinkable, from happening, and also just to ensure that you'll be kept safe. So many lives are probably/possibly lost "on a whim." When had something intervened, nearly anything, who knows if when the next day (or series of days if in side/or in patient) they would've made up their mkinds to have gone U& done the same thing. Often times, what it does, is it give s a break & a chance to "re-set," things~ / but I'm sure I" vealready said, or stated that before. If I have, for me anyway (& it won't be a guarantee for every body) it bears repeateing. Barse? ;/

LumberJack

I put on women’s clothing, and hang around in bars
@AmberMarie - I was inpatient last week from Mon-Sunday. It was, with brief exceptions a horrible experience that did me more harm than good. Acute inpatient care is not a place of healing. It is a place to be locked up until the pdoc there decides you are safe. Even if you go in voluntarily, they might put a 72 hour hold on you when you try to leave. I learned this the hard way.

AmberMarie

was, with brief exceptions a horrible experience that did me more harm than good
i greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with me and anyone else reading this. i'm sorry your experience was so bad. It's a huge fear of mine and is partially keeping me from seeking certain help. i do hope you were able to receive some help at least... and come out of there with a bit of renewal.

LumberJack

I put on women’s clothing, and hang around in bars
i greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with me and anyone else reading this. i'm sorry your experience was so bad. It's a huge fear of mine and is partially keeping me from seeking certain help. i do hope you were able to receive some help at least... and come out of there with a bit of renewal.
I have a part in that as well. I went inpatient because I was feeling severe depression and SI. I needed a structured therapeutic environment to untangle my mood problems and learn new coping skills. What I got was a bed and food in a decidedly chaotic environment.

I was safe from myself, but not from the dysfunction of the system. I have since compared notes with patients who were at other hospitals. Taking that into account that their treatment was worse, I think it’s more about what you need at this time. Hospital care is for when you need to be protected from yourself and to get away from your triggers for a few days. It’s not a place to work though deep seated problems. Hope that helps.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00