What to say to police?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

So about a year and a half ago I attempted. Halfway through I rang a suicide prevention line and had a chat to a person working there. This made me feel better and I decided to not do it that night. I got in my car to drive home and sleep, but just as I was pulling out a cop car blocked me. They ran up to my car: One ripped open the drivers door, one stood at the front and one ripped open the passenger door. They pulled me out and frisked me and went through my car, unfortunately finding the stuff I had. I was in a state of mental stress and shock so I just answered there questions including, stupidly, if I had intended to attempt suicide that night. I said I had but had chosen not too. They didnt listen and locked me in there car and drove me to the hospital. In the hospital I had the worse experience of my life which led to many other attempts, but this is another story entirely.

What I want to know is what can you and cant you say to the police if they suspect you are suicidal? Can you keep quiet? I wasnt not arrested and was not charged and was not doing anything wrong. Am I allowed to not answer their questions?

(ps, I realise this is probably subject to country and state [I am in Queensland, Australia] but I am sure that most police departments would have similar codes of conduct?)

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

In the United States of America, if you're arrested, you have the right to, and should, remain silent and speak only to demand a lawyer. Next time, don't call the hotline, they will send police to your location - a far more stressful situation. I don't know what to do in Australia, but it's hard to not try to say anything when they're treating you like a criminal.

3. HelgasAngel

HelgasAngel Well-Known Member

LOL holy shit dude, and I thought my "suicide" emergency run in with the police was bad. All they did was go to my house and check to see if I had any items I could use to kill myself with, and whether I done myself bodily harm.

4. HelgasAngel

HelgasAngel Well-Known Member

love your accent by the way:D hehe aussie accent:p

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

if the person at the hotline helped you to decide to live, then by all means call a hotline again. this is important. Please never be afraid to reach out for help to live,. In many countries you do not have to tell police anything without legal represntation. Even if they intimidate you. They are not judges. So feel free to not be forthcoming with information. Perhaps this is not true in all countries. The only reason I am posting an answer here is because I do recommend calling a hotline. always. I am so sorry you had the horrible expereince. Not all hospitals are awful. I have known some people who got very good help being admitted b/c of suicide attempt. Sorry your expereince was so destructive and harmful. I am sorry you were treated badly by the police. And I am glad you are alive :hug:

6. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

I agree with Flowers about always calling a hotline. Sorry to disagree with you Prinnctopher but in the UK calls to the Samaritans are totally confidential. They are pro life but their guidelines state that they respect callers decisions. Shock doesn't say how the police knew where s/he was. If Shock gave the location to the crisis line once the police are involved they have a duty of care to the individual. If they hadn't ensured Shock's safety they would at the very least have been censured. Their approach was extremely heavy handed but they're police not mental health workers.

7. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

Once police believe there is credible evidence that you are suicidal (by your statement or the statement of a doctor, etc...) they WILL take you to the hospital at least where I am

Twice taken by police - 2nd time I was home and suicidal listening to my wife and visiting nurse arguing about me as if I wasn't in the room which triggered me - I was outpatient and called my treatment contact like I was supposed to and talkex it out - they even spoke to ghe nurse but the police came anx took me anyway

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Sorry - If the police had done nothing it would be a thread of "nobody cares and they do not do anything" --

The police did not arrest you or take you to jail - they took you to treatment and you are alive today writing this- Issues with mental health facilities is another topic but once again I tend to fall on the side if a person is alive to tell the story it is better than the alternative.

9. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

absolutely

10. shedhaddock

shedhaddock Banned Member

My friend, honesty is the only way forwards. If you decide to lie - at some point the lies will come back to bite. Be honest about your feelings.

11. lav11

lav11 Well-Known Member

ive been in that exact position and also live in Queensland coincadently..

ive found here you have to be entirely honest, if your not then they believe you may still bea danger to yourself and they can admit you under the involuntary mental health act which has happened to you. The mental health act states anyone who is in danger due to mental health and can not or will not agree to immediate treatment may be placed under this act.... so basiclly, you have to plea your case and give sufficient evidence that your not at an immeditae risk (by being completely honest and displaying you were driving home, would be stopping to get a hot chocolate or bath etc and then going to bed etc etc... prove that you have a plan to be safe) OR you tell police you want to go to hospital voluntary of your own choice and want to get help (your generally treated better voluntarily then if not but its still completely rubbish and if you dont do what they say they can place you under the mental health act at any time anyways)
    also, helplines are always very jumpy and call the police quite easily so the one thing you need to remember is before you hang up gaurantee your safety! give them a set out plan of things you will do to stay safe and tell them you will call them back if you start thinking of making the attempt again... if you dont odds are they will call the police. Its also good to call back the same helpline so they get to know you and know that you are able to keep yourself safe even in difficult situations (it took me quite some time of continous calls for my helpline to begin too trust that i am able to stay safe even when i dont want to)
    anyways, thats just my experience with hospital and police in queensland, ive had 20+ admissions so know the system pretty well now. goodluck with it all though and am hopeing you figure out how to avoid it quicker then i did! feel free to send me a PM if you want :)

goodluck

12. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Sorry I must take issue with this. The police did not arrest me or take me to jail, but they practically did. I was detained and threatened with being put in handcuffs. I as locked in their car and then looked in a ward. Note I was 100% compliant and not hostile. I did not receive any treatment in hospital but was abused by the nursing staff (never saw a doctor). I am not going to go into details as it is a long story and one I have told before on SF but I was diagnosed with PTSD afterwards.

As I said above, I was leaving to go home as I felt better before the police came.

13. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

The police are there to keep you safe
    you are not a criminal, they are there for your protection.
    just remember that.
    always be honest with them, im glad you got the help you need.

14. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

This is a bit scary, i also live in QLD. Didnt really think the helplines were that sensitive here. I personally think the way the police treated you sounds terrible and like they had no care for you at all. Frisking you and putting you in hand cuffs, seems messed up. Unfortunately the police in QLD are not that great and i dont think have the best training in mental health, but I suppose it depends who you get.

I have had the police called on me twice because people thought i was going to kill myself. One time they tracked me to a hotel and spoke to me in person, saw a gigantic amount of pills on the kitchen counter, and all they did was ask a few questions (all i had to say was 'oh i need those pills for daily medication) get my phone number and leave. They didnt even call an ambulance or talk about talking me to hospital. The second time, they phoned me as they didnt know where I was and I was able to convince them I was fine. I guess they didnt really think i was too high risk.

I found (especially the second time as they really wanted to take me to hospital) that by being a little honest with them but not too honest, was the best way to make them feel more secure in leaving me where I was. I told them i was depressed and had been a bit suicidal, but was feeling safer now, had an appointment at the hospital, was definitely going to make it. Maybe your best bet though would have been trying to convince the hospital staff you were not a risk as the police didnt sound like they wanted to talk.

15. OldGuy

OldGuy Active Member

In my neck of the woods the police detain you until an ambulance come round to take you the a hospital for evaluation. I my case is led to 5150 72 hour hold at psychiatric hospital. The first time I fought the police because I was mad that my wife cut me down. I ended up being hog tied and put in restraints. I learned my lesson. I've had a number of 5150s since and now know its best to try to be a chill as you can because you can't win by fighting it. The police and firefighters in my area are all pretty cool. But once they've decided you a threat to yourself you aren't going to change their mind. I understand their position, it is safer for both me and them hold me so a professional can make a determination how I should be handled. That said 5150s are a PIA although the hospitals I've gone to (I've been to 5 different ones, 3 of them more than once) have been ok, just a it boaring at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.