What type of depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by BlueDragon, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member

Hi everyone, I was hopeing to tell you a bit about myself and see if any of you can help me work out what kind of depression I have. I really dont like doctors (I have a very rational fear of them), so looking for help in that direction is kinda pointless.

I've always been different and I've always been depressed, but in the last few years it's got so much worse. I go through endless cycles, where I'm seriously depressed for about 3-4 days and then I'm fine (or sometimes I'm really great) for about 4-7 days. This has been going round and round like this for about 2 years now and I really cant stand it any more.

I did goto a doctor about it, but she did the clasic Burns test thingy on me and because I'm not depressed for 2 weeks or more she said I had mild depression and put me on anti-depressants. But it's not mild depression, it's 3 days of hell. I can't eat, I sleep loads, everythings rubish and all I want to do is kill myself. That's not mild depression, that's major depression, but for a short time. The anti-depressants helped for about a week and then they had no effect at all (appart from giving me chest pains), so after a while I just stopped taking them.

I have wondered before if I'm bi-polar. I do go into manic phases sometimes (although I havn't had one for a while) and the switch between the moods is dramatic. But when I've read about bi-polar it says that you only have upto 3 episopes of depression in a year. Getting a diagnosis form a doctor will be a long and awefull process, which I just cant face doing.

Feeling very lost with it all.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am sorry (and understanding) of your fear of doctors but to be honest that is the only way you are going to figure out what is wrong and more importantly, the best treatment. Even with just the burns test and a few minutes observation the doctor has 10x as much information to go on (and 10 years or so of education plus experience) than anybody reading your post so guesses you get here will be of no use and more to the point only a doctor can set up and actual treatment plan. There may be a lot of self help tips available to you but if it is as bad as you describe you probably need treatment and not just self help self improvement tips so if you want to get better a medical expert/professional will need to be involved.

3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I would find another doctor. Obviously what you described is not mild depression. Also there are different types of bipolar disorder...and if you do not fit into any of those there is still Bipolar Disorder NOS (not otherwise specified) which people who do not fit into any other bipolar category are diagnosed as. I do think that you have some form of Bipolar, but to find out for sure you should get a better doctor.

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

What kind of doctor did you see? A general one or a psychiatrist?

5. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member

I just can't face going to the doctors. It took alot to go last time and I just can't face it again. It's likely that I've got some kind of bi-polar disorder, but there is no way I'm going to spend the rest of my life taking loads of different kinds of drugs to find out which ones mess me up the least. I wont do it.

But thanks for your replies, I know your trying to help. Think I'm just beyond help now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.