What works best for you in dealing with anxiety?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Petal, May 1, 2015.

What helps your anxiety?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2016.
  1. Self help

7 vote(s)
  2. Peer to peer support

8 vote(s)
  3. Therapy

6 vote(s)
  4. Medication

6 vote(s)
  5. Distractions

15 vote(s)
  6. Other: please specify

4 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I struggle with anxiety a lot and it is a constant battle but most days I am fine, I do get the odd panic attacks and hyperventilating and my heart rate rockets sky high but I'd like to know what works best for you so I am adding a poll, please feel free to reply with your thoughts too.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have found that since I have been doing my 3rd lot of therapy, that it has really helped my anxiety a lot. I still get it, but I am able to recognise the symptoms and thoughts running through my mind so I am able to slow them down a little which helps relieves the intensity of the anxiety.
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Try breathing exercises which can be found on you tube. Also focusing on physical exercise such as walking.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

wheni get distracted it helps. Keeps my mind off triggers
  5. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I too get the breathlessness and racing heart and it feels like my blood got boiling hot and is scalding me from the inside out. It's horrid but that part only lasts a few minutes; by fifteen minutes later it has usually reduced to "just" severe anxiety rather than an actual panic attack.

I was told - and have found it true - that doing the thing that causes the anxiety is the only real way to over-come and reduce anxiety. If the part of your brain causing the anxiety reaction or panic attack "learns" that by producing this reaction it does not have to deal with something, it becomes a pattern of learned behavior. Riding out the anxiety and doing the thing anyway - "teaching" your brain that the anxiety reaction will not result in avoiding the thing slowly helps to reduce the anxiety reaction.

I have found that medicating away the anxiety does absolutely nothing but relieve the physical symptoms temporarily and that anxiety actually gets worse over time if you keep burying it with meds. When I get a panic attack now (fortunately not very regularly) or I have high anxiety over something (very regularly), I try to make sure I do the thing. Teaching myself and my brain that anxiety is horrid but does not have to be debilitating unless you let it.
  6. Petal

My doctor told me the other day my anxiety was down to having too much hands on my time. I wanted to say ''how dare you, etc'' how ridiculous is that. I do not believe it at all although distraction do help my anxiety certainly isn't caused by boredom.
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Never been prescribed medication for it, but tried everything else. Distractions seem to work the best, even if they are temporary.
  8. Petal

Self help and interacting with people with the same issues has helped me a whole lot in the past few days! I feel so much better in myself and I think reducing my valium was for the best, I seem to be coping fine and actually much happier which is a bit strange but anyway I will keep ye updated :)
  9. iBananya

iBananya Member

For me personally, the best way is distractions :) Sometimes it helps so much to just "escape" life for a short time with anything... A good movie, good book, a game, going out with my partner or a friend/friends, I love to cook so sometimes I simply find a new recipe and dive right into it!

I hope you're able to stay down on the valium while keeping the happier feelings up! :)
  10. emotionsickness

emotionsickness Well-Known Member

I've found yoga to be very helpful for reducing anxiety. I do a lot of yoga videos on YouTube and I feel a lot more calm and centered after doing them. Exercise in general also helps.
  11. Jah7681

Jah7681 New Member

If you can find a good way to calm yourself out of one that's great. Unfortunately I was just immediately put on meds many many years ago. First I was on clonazapam then they continued upping that until it no longer had any effect on my body. Then they put me on Diazepam (Valium) now I've increased that several times yet I'm still dealing with it.
  12. bonnevie

bonnevie Member

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this before in this thread, but I went to a 6 week group course on Mindfulness. I have had medications for anxiety, I've had therapy, I've had all kinds of professionals offering me all kinds of help but none of it really worked, and I think it's because I didn't really believe that anything would work as I've had anxiety for so long, it feels like it is imprinted on my brain, if you get what I mean. So when I was offered this course for unrelated reasons, I gave it a shot, and it was pretty wonderful.

Mindfulness is all about being in the present moment, deeply and thoughtfully. Not worrying about the future or mourning the past, but really putting yourself in what's going on right here and now. It's also about putting this into practice by meditating, which is what I've found to be a great anxiety destroyer. So, you could call meditating a breathing technique or even a distraction, but either way it worked wonders for me when I thought nothing else could. It's also about believing in yourself, that you CAN be helped and you WILL feel better. Take it from a non-believer: Anything is possible. A great place to try out meditating or mindfulness is a website called Headspace, I believe they have an app for the smartphone users as well.

Jen :)
  13. I have tried anti anxiety med and it just numb my anxiety temporarily. Later on, i found out i have my baby pillow (transitional object) to rely on. The smell is enough to rock me to sleep peacefully and the sharp corner on the pillowcase is enough to keep my fingers busy rubbing the corner into a sharp point and using the sharp point to rub on my lips, ear, nose (up to the point i sneezed). Don't mistook my actions as sexual. I don't do sexual stuffs with my pillow. I respected it. If it drops on the ground, i do apologise to my pillow. Please don't laugh at me. I loved my comfort pillow to bits and it has helped me tide over with my suicidal thoughts many many times and also keep me calm and cool. I am already off meds and this pillow rubbing ritual works better than my med. still doing it and even told my psychologist and psychiatrist about it. They agreed with me. :) i know a lot of fully grown adults still do have their baby blankets and pillows with them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.