What's wrong with leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have been lurking around here for quite some time. From what I 've read so far it seems that the vast majority here tries to keep people from harming themselves which I very much understand.
But what if somebody, who has lived a relatively normal life without having had mental problems, comes to the conclusion that it would be best if they ended their life? What do you think, should they be allowed to have their life terminated?
Let me repeat that in this hypothetical example the desire to cease ones existence doesn't come from a spontaneous decision due to some tragic event, but is the result of a long, rational thinking process.

Neither am I going to end my life in the foreseeable future, nor do I encourage anyone to do so. I'm just interested in your take on people who are not in crisis, but still feel that life just isn't worth living.

I think everyone has choices in life, to do as they want. They themselves are responsible for their actions at hand. If they feel they just want to die, I don't know that i'd understand it. are they depressed, unhappy?? In my eyes it can't be they want to die just because. In the event it's still their choice but by all means I would try to stop them because I believe that everyone deserves a second chance at having a life.

If that situation was true, then from logical and rational thought there would be a reason for that to decide that suicide is appropriate.

That reason could actually be something potentially rational (i.e. euthanisia or assisted suicide or something, I'm not saying I agree with them, but you don't have to have mental health problems for those or anything), or it could be indicative of an underlying mental health problem or personality disorder or 'wonky' thought patterns or something like that.

Death is permanent and can't be reversed, however choosing to fight can be reversed and the option for suicide still remains.

What's my point? I have no idea and I'm really tired :/ I'm sure I had a point when I started.

I remember now.

I was trying to say that whatever the reasons behind the decision, that would be the key point, in my eyes.

And no, I'm still not articulating myself well. Sorry.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I've spent months thinking about it now, about reasons and meaning and purpose, about what's right about what's wrong. It all makes sense logically to me now, I finally understand. But in the end, I am simply ruled by fear, afraid to live, afraid to die. What was my thinking for? I'm simply an animal pretending to be human.

White Dove

Hi,

I have been lurking around here for quite some time. From what I 've read so far it seems that the vast majority here tries to keep people from harming themselves which I very much understand.
But what if somebody, who has lived a relatively normal life without having had mental problems, comes to the conclusion that it would be best if they ended their life? What do you think, should they be allowed to have their life terminated?
Let me repeat that in this hypothetical example the desire to cease ones existence doesn't come from a spontaneous decision due to some tragic event, but is the result of a long, rational thinking process.

Neither am I going to end my life in the foreseeable future, nor do I encourage anyone to do so. I'm just interested in your take on people who are not in crisis, but still feel that life just isn't worth living.
I dont think i could really answer your question because every life is worth something to someone and even my life probably is worth something to someone...

But to me i think it should be legal in a way because if someone is dying from a disease like cancer or aids or copd or whatever then i think they should have the right to end their own life to spare themselves from more pain.. if a mother has a baby and if keeping the baby inside will make her sicker and end up killing the mother then they take the baby to save the mother..

Now look at it this way.. take for instance animals..they are just like us in a way.. you cut them , they will bleed , you hurt them they will hollar, they all have hearts, they have lungs, etc so when a deer crosses a road and gets hurt by being hit by a car, they will kill that deer to put it out of their misery. so in that case i think a person dying of cancer or aids or whatever and they want to spare that pain , i think it should be legal for them to do that.. bible says do not kill , doesnt say what just do not kill. you could kill a bug and be just as guilty.. and taking yourself is murder.. in Gods eyes cause he gave the life..

so i guess it depends upoin the indevidual and their state of mind at the time rather or not it would be right or wrong.. to some it would be right to others it would be wrong.. it also depends upon the reason they did it, was it because of a illness that will take them anyway or did they just decide to end it.

I know that the church i attend the last minister there killed himself.. now from what i have heard he was a good man, never did anything wrong , yet his choice was to end it,

so to me it comes down to choices.. it is something one chooses to do for whatever reason... I also want to say that i had a cousin who led a good life , had a home, kids, etc never complained about nothing, one day his wife walks in and sees him on the bed dead from a gun shot wound to his head and a note that simply said. i want to die now, nothing more was said, no reason, nothing..

i dont really know how to answer your question except i think everyone deserves a second chance and should put off taking their life and wait...

and no... i dont think a normal person should commit suicide no more then i think anyone else should either and that includes me. but its so dang hard not to do it when others will keep adding pain to you. it is a battle we fight all the time

allofme

Staff Alumni
i think it was said best ... death is final... were the desire to die is not... there has to be a reason to want to die... and like wanting to die... all reasons for wanting to die can change or vanish or be worked through.. for the most part... and it really think it is so tragic for someone to die before their time... even though i myself have been one who has tried... but i figure there is still something i am supposed to do.. maybe this post :)

You are right when you say that the decision to die is reversible whereas death itsself is not. That's a good point, but what if someone's decision to die won't have been changed during their life which could well be if the choice to end their life was made consciously without any mental disorder interfering with their judgement.
I think I'm disturbed by the notion of death as absolute negativity which has to be avoided at all costs. The prospect of non-existence can be a welcome relieve not only for terminally ill persons.

Random

Ideally. if one person's suicide didn't have consequences for everyone who loves them, who knows? Maybe support for that POV might be more readily apparent.

I think most people have someone who loves them. Whether it be their parents, siblings or a spouse or bf/gf. It's impossible to even contemplate suicide without thinking about what the consequences would be for these people who will likely be devastated.

So a suicide isn't merely a person taking their own life. They very well may be taking someone else with them. Someone they care about.

Additionally, this is a pro life site because it has to be. I can't imagine a pro suicide site that wouldn't be viciously attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00