When did you stop singing?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Lps, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lps

Lps Well-Known Member

"In many shamanic societies, if you came to a shaman or medicine person complaining of being disheartened, dispirited, or depressed, they would ask one of four questions.

When did you stop dancing?
    When did you stop singing?
    When did you stop being enchanted by stories?
    When did you stop finding comfort in silence?"

2. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. :)

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

That's a lovely post! I equate them to the bits in brackets which are the sorts of things asked in psychotherapy sessions:

When did you stop dancing? (stop feeling joy and the freedom to be yourself)
    When did you stop singing? (stop expressing yourself)
    When did you stop being enchanted by stories? (stop being engaged with ideas and others)
    When did you stop find comfort in silence? (stop finding comfort with yourself)

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

This is lovely...it helped me to feel better and sad at the same time...I was a dancer who had to stop due to a degenerative disease...I have never stopped singing nor being enchanted by stories (I find Zen stories a wonderful way to gain wisdom)...and comfort in silence...that is my greatest challange of late...I used to have much more peaceful silence...I now meditate more to regain some of it, but mourn its loss daily...thanks again for sharing

5. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

I had people all my life tell me I would never amount to anything and how worthless I am. I was the only one to be my own cheerleader and go beyond all expectations. I had to overcome all the cr*p people fed me and do my own thing. I've lost all that with a therapist who fed me the negatives again and now I'm having to overcome her. It is a difficult journey and one I have to take alone as always. Made me even more depressed. Someday, maybe the music will come back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.