When meds don't work...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by FMyLife, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

So I was diagnosed BP when I was 17 and spent 7 years on Lithium. Now due to health issues I was taken off Lithium and now take depakote. I'm also on lamictal and take xanax for anxiety. My doctor doesn't want to change my meds again, but I have been on these 3 for 5 months and i'm moody, anxious, i swing between depressed and fine, my mind is constantly on the run and I don't sleep well due to nightmares. I have recently discussed this with my doc and he tells me i overreact and says ill be fine. I'm not sure how else to approach this without finding a new doc. I asked him to put me back on haldol, which they used when i was in the psych ward. I felt great with the meds they had me on. But he won't. Not sure what to do...
  2. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Finding the right med cocktail is so frustrating. I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to let you know you were heard and I do understand. My meds aren't working right either.

big big big hugs
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think you need to keep fighting for the haloperidol because it did help you in the past, it's worth trying again.
  4. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

I've been fighting for it but my doc….welll I've been with the same doc for years and I just don't think he sees more than what he met 8 years ago. I am really thinking about switching.
  5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Really comes a time when if you and doc have a difference in opinion and he will not respect your input on your health need to look for a different dr. At next visit be straight forward- "these drugs are not working , if this is all you have can you give me a referral to a different dr or should i just go find one on my own?"

Good luck and do not accept care that is not doing what you need it to do. He does not know how you are feeling so his assessment that they are working has no validity if you are telling him and he is just not listening.
  6. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

I appreciate your input NY as I was kind of feeling that way. I'm really trying to be where I was for a while and after I got a taste of it in the psych ward, I want it back. As my current doc seems to be against my opinion, I'm at that point where I want to move on and be done with him. Maybe he's afraid if I get better, he will lose business and money XD. Just kidding, but still, I'm tired of not sleeping, tired of mood swings, tired of paranoia so yeah, I'm willing to do what it takes.
  7. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

I think that if a doctor tells you that you're overreacting, it's time to find a new doctor. Especially if you've already discovered a combination of meds that work for you but your current doctor isn't willing to prescribe them...that's ridiculous.

I know it's probably a pain in the ass to look for a new doctor, but I think it will definitely be worth the effort in your case.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey Liam, it's awful you still can't sleep....that is very frustrating. I think you should either change your doctor or try and get back on the ones that helped you. Xanax does stop working after a while due to tolerance. You have been given great advice in this thread so there is not much I can add, just want you to know that I do care.

I hope you can get this sorted soon! Best of luck to you my friend :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.