Why do I feel depressed when I'm happy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Butterfly, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Si things have been going great for a while. Job going great, on a new education course, family great, therapy great, meds working and just got a new dog that I love to bits. Earlier I was feeling so happy, so over the moon. I'd been happy that for the first time in years I was emotionally stable. And now, a sudden pang of sadness and I am in tears. No trigger, no warning. I don't know why. I just always feel that when things are great, I always breakdown. Why do I feel like I am destined to be miserable?

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi
    lately I have been talking to a lot of people who are experiencing old stuff coming aound again. I personally wonder if it is so that a new level of it can be worked on or seen or talked about. I believe that when a new level of something is ready to be worked on it will let people know. I do not know if this feels right to you. But i thought I would put it out there anyway. Because when is seen that way then its not so bad. its for good purpose. I am so glad for you that things have been good.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Also, all things are not all good or all bad...there will always be bad days, and how you cope with them, and what you do with them are the more critical issues.

4. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

You say no trigger no warning. I only see when I'm out of it what triggered the last bout. Atm I'm currently seeing more about a devastating period twenty years ago. As Flowers says we can deal with things at a different level. For myself and I've seen it in others there's a right time for dealing with a particular issue.

5. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

It's great that things have been going good for you, but maybe your mind hasn't caught up to the events around you yet. You're on the right road but not totally healed. Crying can relieve pent up emotions we didn't know we had or were still feeling. Maybe it's a sort of mourning, or your body stuggling to give up depression? But you know you can do it now and that things can be better. Don't be afraid to have a little cry now and then. Just don't let it consume you because it sounds like you have a good thing going.

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

That happens to me when I'm happy...because I feel like I don't deserve that for some reason, or it's unusual because I'm so used to feeling depressed. But you deserve all the good things that come your way, and hopefully you will be able to get past the bad feelings.

7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I think part of why this happens to us is the physical part of depression. Some of us have a chemical imbalance or our brains don't or can't use the biochemistry it needs and it affects us with depression. Often when people ask me why I'm depressed, I tell them it's physical and happens even when life is going good and I experience life as good.

8. Butterfly

I think, sometimes when I get too overexcited about the things going on around me, it tires my brain and I end up feeling depressed. I was having a bad night the other night, but it seemed like it was a one off, but a very intense night. I do feel a lot better now, and so very grateful to have all that I have in my life. I am truly blessed. Thanks for your responses guys, it means a lot and helps me make sense of things :hug:

9. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

something I am learning is that things can not go good ALL the time. We have ups and downs, and that is normal. But we've been in the negative for so long that we're afraid to go back there everytime we feel down. I know this, I start to panic everytime I feel down...but I try to tell myself tomorrow is another day. I go to bed and sure enough the next day I feel better....but it's hard to undo all that we learned

10. Butterfly

I think you hit the nail on the head there morning rush. I think that because I have been having many more good days than bad days, I begin to panic when I have a bad day as I am fearful that I am going to end up back in a spiralling depression. I have been depressed and hypomanic for so long, that now I know what normality feels like, anytime I have a little blip I start to immediately fear the worst, which makes the situation ten times worse. I think I need to learn to accept that bad days do happen. Will be a while, but I am sure I will get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.