• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Why is there punishment for suicide?

Suyon

paranoid poetry archive
#2
It depends on your beliefs. I'm not very religious myself, but from what I understand, many religions consider suicide a sin because life is seen as a gift from God, and therefore only God has the right to decide when it ends. So, taking your own life is viewed as going against that principle, which is where the idea of punishment or spiritual consequences comes from.

But that's a religious interpretation, not a universal consensus.
 

full

SF Supporter
#5
I have not seen, only read about, punishment for suicide. Body is a gift of God, so destroying it would be like destroying God's jewles, not sure how to better explain it. Also, some religions teach that suicide puts soul back to the beginning of travels or incarnations through all variaties of living beings until it embodies human one in order to learn the lessons of going through challenging times.
 

Gard

Well-Known Member
#8
Hey, in the Soviet Union, there was a criminal charge for attempted suicide. If you didn’t succeed in killing yourself, you’d end up in prison (sometimes in a mental hospital, but only sometimes).
That’s why it was worth seeing suicide through to the end.

In modern society, not everyone is punished for suicide. For example, in Switzerland, euthanasia (death by injection) is officially permitted, but it’s not that easy to obtain. Thus, there are places where suicide is a permissible choice without condemnation or punishment.

I think punishment for suicide depends on the level of development of a particular population. In more developed societies, it doesn’t exist at all, as in Switzerland, for example.
 

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
#9
Hey, in the Soviet Union, there was a criminal charge for attempted suicide. If you didn’t succeed in killing yourself, you’d end up in prison (sometimes in a mental hospital, but only sometimes).
That’s why it was worth seeing suicide through to the end.

In modern society, not everyone is punished for suicide. For example, in Switzerland, euthanasia (death by injection) is officially permitted, but it’s not that easy to obtain. Thus, there are places where suicide is a permissible choice without condemnation or punishment.

I think punishment for suicide depends on the level of development of a particular population. In more developed societies, it doesn’t exist at all, as in Switzerland, for example.
Some states in the USA also offer what they call physician assisted suicide, including the one I live in. But there are some pretty steep requirements you must meet before that is allowed. I believe there certainly should be some requirements to qualify for it, but now as many as there are now.
 

Dude111

Well-Known Member
#10
Suyon said:
It depends on your beliefs. I'm not very religious myself, but from what I understand, many religions consider suicide a sin because life is seen as a gift from God, and therefore only God has the right to decide when it ends.
But doesnt God care if someone is going thru hell and doesnt wanna be here anymore??
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#11
The crux of the issue, that @Dude111 . If there is "God" then why is hell a facor for existing in our Earthly bodies/lives, as well as being used as a control threat by powerful reliogious and now even quasi-secular humans?
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top