• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Why was I born, was it a mistake? Suffering outweighs any alternative force, love is minimal.

#1
I feel guilty writing here, because I saw other forum entries, other people with issues and concerns some even obviously more pressing and wicked than my own. But, I couldn't sustain the will to respond to them thoughtfully, it seemed many other people already had and the forums are not massively active, so it was unusual to enter a conversation days later.

I am not homeless, don't suffer addiction or financial hardships. My physiological needs are met, I have access to psychiatry and psychology.
Alas, I do not enjoy life. I do not connect with any human being, I am social in nature maybe extroverted, I am not sure. I am an immigrant here, I have been here since age 5, I have never really felt alike or in common with my peers. At times I have had active socialisation in my routine, I have had numbers of friends, attended parties gatherings etc. etc.

It was all kind of situational, seemingly friends were just had for the sake of it during the school days. Now most of my old friends I have removed myself from for seeming betrayal or insufficient moral standards, they're comfortable treating people poorly. I don't have interest in entertaining those types, I hence have no one around. I don't want those friends anyway, they don't care about me really, it seems everyone around me is self-serving by a very large degree. I find this strange because I don't see myself as self-serving, I enjoy reciprocity in friendships or any relationship, I really value it. Why am I so rare? So different.

No one seemingly values or cares about my integrity of character. My compassion, empathy, honesty. These moral standards don't mean anything. The youth of today are interested in chasing cheap and fast pleasures, be it gambling, drinking, drugs, whatever else. Social media, I don't appreciate the fakeness of my demographic, honestly I can't stand it. My honesty shocks them, I am just honest and comfortable in who I am. But I have no one, and I have never had romance despite being a really caring person and attractive enough. I don't know exactly why, I guess I have a fear of rejection and push the opportunities away before they might hurt me. But also the state of the women available, not physically but personally are really disappointing. Such shallow interests, no one is interested in the poetic lens of life, the deep philosophical thoughts, scientific explanations of the world, the shortcomings or proficiencies of the way the world is managed. I feel like there's more important things to talk about than which celebrity is being alleged of whatever the media have decided to run with this week, and what hand bag said celebrity is taking to the award ceremony. It is so so crippling, to look out everyday and just see the most disappointing world to engage with. People will not sustain the attention for anything more than 15 seconds now upon the rise of tiktok, the days of deep and meaningful human engagement are regressing.

I make huge provisions for the sake of fighting my depression and anxiety and have done for years. I started treatment in 2018 at the age of 15 although suffering from anxiety and depressive tendencies for years prior. Ive been on 10+ medications, had 12 round of ECT, seen maybe 5-6 different psychologists, 3-4 different psychiatrists, 10 or more GP's. Always medications have been insufficient and if showing any effectiveness, it seemingly never lasts. Then theres the side effects, they often don't merit the miserable effects of the drugs. This is me, please don't let my story discourage you to seek medications that might change your life. I suppose the real tragedy is that im in the small minority. 50% of individuals enter remission on their first medication, and of those that didn't receive a therapeutic effect, they will on their second drug: 50% of them. That resultantly concludes that 75% of the initial pool of depressed patients have been successfully treated by their second medication trial. I've been training hard, intensely in the gym for 2+ hours a day for nearly 2 years now. I eat nothing but beef, this elimination diet, that has yes actually relieved anxiety and depressive symptoms which is always welcome, but not enough to achieve wellbeing. I've been on all types of adrenergic medications like venlafaxine and mirtazapine <mod edit--rule 9>. One night at the emergency department I think my blood pressure would near 200 systolic just sitting down, thats the state of emotional unrest I was in as a result of the drug. That was like 375mg though. But even at that the antidepressant effect wasn't enough, forever I would go up a dose, receive therapeutic effect briefly and then relapse to depression before increasing again. Then I was on 375mg and had to taper down which was hell, and induced suicidality further, the problem with that drug is it makes you really restless and agitated such that Youd actually <mod edit--methods>, the more emotional depression I was used to wasn't as volatile it was hell and total despair and hopelessness but it didn't make your heart thump out of your chest like you needed to act RIGHT NOW. Similar experience on mirtazapine and olanzapine too, which was added to my venlafaxine to try and increase its activation or something, according to my psychiatrist. Im pretty sure it was for depression, not psychosis, it was a low dose. I haven't had real psychosis consistently at any point in my life indicative of schizophrenia although my brother does have quite obvious schizophrenia.

I am typing out this sob story of mine not to beg for pity, or to explain how my problems are bigger than yours but just to explain how I have come to the conclusions of thought that I have, that life really isn't worth living. Like, I work so hard to overcome depression which is not easy for a depressed person as we all know, the psychomotor retardation effects make it feel like washing your hair or getting out of bed, or cooking your meal is an absolutely hellish and difficult chore. So to go to the gym and explicitly discipline myself to eat only one thing and go through the diligent years of learning psychiatry and neuroscience to try and find my answers and facilitate my recovery I am really fucking fed up. Like all my efforts are absolutely fucking fruitless, and no one sees them, no one knows how hard i've worked, I just look like this kid gifted with intelligence whos made nothing of himself, lazy seeming, a true shame. Unattractive to anyone really, dependent on my parents at 20. To do all the research on the medications and go through all the horrible side effects and develop IBS and autoimmune intolerances as a result, like I have been through quite a bit of hell, although believe me I am aware there are others who have it worse, don't think for a second I am not aware. I've read the Gulag Archipelago, I really can't believe how those people existed and did that,and didn't kill themselves. They make me look a joke, but my situation is as it lies, I can't just manifest some thought like: Oh think about the pain they went through you have nothing to cry about. It doesn't work, I wish it did but it doesn't. I cant help but hate my life and feel sorry for myself, even though I know it does me no good.

I've listened and read Jordan Peterson's work alot which has been a large guidance in the darkness of suffering but as much as I try to adopt his teachings I am suffering consistently.

Part of me wants to blame my neurology, that I was born with a depression and anxiety out of my control, part of me wants to blame my parents for having birthed me, part of me wants to blame myself for being undisciplined although honestly I dont believe it to be honest, its moreso a subconscious rumination the typical negative self talk manifesting in blaming the self. But, the more I have learned about mental illness and biology the less I really believe its anything to do with 'free will' whatever the hell that word means, anyone whos been on psychiatric medications that are potent, I believe could comment on the absence of free will. When you see how much adrenaline can change your behaviour, a shift in neurology its pretty ridiculous to suggest people have any control over what they do.

Part of me feels I am in the wrong place, maybe surrounded by a family with more rich intellectual insight, or surrounded by like minded people. Prosocial people, good reciprocal relationships and maybe a love life, then I wouldn't be depressed. A job or a field of study equal to my potential, a Job. I want to be a psychiatrist, I think anyway. I don't want anything though. I don't want anything but to be dead.

I fucking hate suffering though, and as the typical overthinking neurotic anxious type person I forever overthink and can endlessly invision all the ways suicide can go wrong, and just how much I hate pain! Just how much I absolutely hate it, my absolute proclivity to be in pain. I remember my vicious IBS attacks before adopting my current diet, that was the closest to hell I have been. No break from the hell, for hours and hours and hours constant unbelievable pain. God, cancer patients are so insanely impressive I don't know how they can just suffer every fucking day those poor fucking souls, they come back and fight more, and get cancer again and again and keep fighting and don't want their family to feel bad for them etc. Anyway: I have had my fair share of suffering, and I believe what Jordan Peterson said, that suffering is as real as real can be, it can even be seen as the meaning of life, and the reason its so real is because, try proving its not! What makes something real isn't exactly obvious so its a good point. But he suggests the only thing more powerful than suffering is love, and I feel I have no love in my heart. I feel my parents don't understand my situation at all and are unconsciously resentful of my dependency and emotional volatility etc etc etc. I really have no love in my heart for anyone, Im not a hateful person, but I have alot of negative emotion for humanity and the world and, perhaps even God if such a thing exists. I feel like there being a God makes more sense than no god.

Anyway, what I am getting at is: I want to be dead, I'd much rather be dead than continue on because no one wants me, and im gifted with a great brain I can't make any use of. I feel as useless and unwanted as could be. I feel like a square being pushed into a circle hole, I just dont belong here, I don't fit its the wrong reality the wrong universe, incompatible. <mod edit--methods>

Anyway, If it works and I die, what then. Does anyone know or think they know what that'd be like, would the suffering stop? Where would I go? Would I suffer more in hell? So much chaos and uncertainty, and its the chaos and uncertainty of this world that induces the perpetual anxiety and stress that induces the depression but the suicide is just as chaotic and uncertain. Is god real, will he hate me for what I have done? I don't know how the hell can I know. If he is why should I care, why do I deserve to suffer, if hes real, then he did this to me didnt he? He gave me a life of suffering he made me suffer, whyd he do that whyd i deserve that. Is he then a cruel and sadistic individual, why should I honour him. Maybe i should hate him. Theres absolutely no certainty its a solution, maybe its eternal blackness like the life before we were born, we didnt necessarily care we werent conscious, we werent real, we werent alive. But then again I dont remember being in pain during birth either, maybe ive just forgotten my previous life. God I just have no idea.

To those who have read this far, What do you think happens after you commit suicide? Does anyone else feel lonely or want to talk about these deep and dark philosophies, message me. Talk about anything I dont mind. I am caring and empathetic, not angry as I might seem here. This is anger at existence, not people i suppose. What happens after suicide, what do we think?

My heart goes out to all you suffering out there, I love you. You people are like me, you are so strong and undeserving of the hell that ensues.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Paul1963

Well-Known Member
#2
You sound very much like an old soul. You are wise beyond your years.
You are mostly alone because you have high moral standards. There are very few people around today who are like that.
I too am sick to the core of my soul as regards all of the suffering in this cruel world.
Hell is an old English word. It means "underground " . And not a place of eternal fire and torment.
There have been many mistranslations in the scriptures.
It sounds to me like you are suffering from an existential crisis as well as depression.
I too am going through this.
So sorry you are suffering too.
Take care.
 

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
#3
Sounds like all dressed up and no place to go. I find it hard to meet people with the same interests as mine. I have to agree this is a tough world to live in most of the time.

The way I do it is to find ways to help others. I have volunteered at a Hospice, joined and started groups of people to study spiritual things. It is good to keep busy doing something important. I write lyrics, poetry, and have a web site. I trade emails with people from other countries. My mind doesn't have time to dwell on my problems during the day. I don't know if this will help any, but it is something I enjoy. Love.
 
#4
I feel guilty writing here, because I saw other forum entries, other people with issues and concerns some even obviously more pressing and wicked than my own. But, I couldn't sustain the will to respond to them thoughtfully, it seemed many other people already had and the forums are not massively active, so it was unusual to enter a conversation days later.

I am not homeless, don't suffer addiction or financial hardships. My physiological needs are met, I have access to psychiatry and psychology.
Alas, I do not enjoy life. I do not connect with any human being, I am social in nature maybe extroverted, I am not sure. I am an immigrant here, I have been here since age 5, I have never really felt alike or in common with my peers. At times I have had active socialisation in my routine, I have had numbers of friends, attended parties gatherings etc. etc.

It was all kind of situational, seemingly friends were just had for the sake of it during the school days. Now most of my old friends I have removed myself from for seeming betrayal or insufficient moral standards, they're comfortable treating people poorly. I don't have interest in entertaining those types, I hence have no one around. I don't want those friends anyway, they don't care about me really, it seems everyone around me is self-serving by a very large degree. I find this strange because I don't see myself as self-serving, I enjoy reciprocity in friendships or any relationship, I really value it. Why am I so rare? So different.

No one seemingly values or cares about my integrity of character. My compassion, empathy, honesty. These moral standards don't mean anything. The youth of today are interested in chasing cheap and fast pleasures, be it gambling, drinking, drugs, whatever else. Social media, I don't appreciate the fakeness of my demographic, honestly I can't stand it. My honesty shocks them, I am just honest and comfortable in who I am. But I have no one, and I have never had romance despite being a really caring person and attractive enough. I don't know exactly why, I guess I have a fear of rejection and push the opportunities away before they might hurt me. But also the state of the women available, not physically but personally are really disappointing. Such shallow interests, no one is interested in the poetic lens of life, the deep philosophical thoughts, scientific explanations of the world, the shortcomings or proficiencies of the way the world is managed. I feel like there's more important things to talk about than which celebrity is being alleged of whatever the media have decided to run with this week, and what hand bag said celebrity is taking to the award ceremony. It is so so crippling, to look out everyday and just see the most disappointing world to engage with. People will not sustain the attention for anything more than 15 seconds now upon the rise of tiktok, the days of deep and meaningful human engagement are regressing.

I make huge provisions for the sake of fighting my depression and anxiety and have done for years. I started treatment in 2018 at the age of 15 although suffering from anxiety and depressive tendencies for years prior. Ive been on 10+ medications, had 12 round of ECT, seen maybe 5-6 different psychologists, 3-4 different psychiatrists, 10 or more GP's. Always medications have been insufficient and if showing any effectiveness, it seemingly never lasts. Then theres the side effects, they often don't merit the miserable effects of the drugs. This is me, please don't let my story discourage you to seek medications that might change your life. I suppose the real tragedy is that im in the small minority. 50% of individuals enter remission on their first medication, and of those that didn't receive a therapeutic effect, they will on their second drug: 50% of them. That resultantly concludes that 75% of the initial pool of depressed patients have been successfully treated by their second medication trial. I've been training hard, intensely in the gym for 2+ hours a day for nearly 2 years now. I eat nothing but beef, this elimination diet, that has yes actually relieved anxiety and depressive symptoms which is always welcome, but not enough to achieve wellbeing. I've been on all types of adrenergic medications like venlafaxine and mirtazapine <mod edit--rule 9>. One night at the emergency department I think my blood pressure would near 200 systolic just sitting down, thats the state of emotional unrest I was in as a result of the drug. That was like 375mg though. But even at that the antidepressant effect wasn't enough, forever I would go up a dose, receive therapeutic effect briefly and then relapse to depression before increasing again. Then I was on 375mg and had to taper down which was hell, and induced suicidality further, the problem with that drug is it makes you really restless and agitated such that Youd actually <mod edit--methods>, the more emotional depression I was used to wasn't as volatile it was hell and total despair and hopelessness but it didn't make your heart thump out of your chest like you needed to act RIGHT NOW. Similar experience on mirtazapine and olanzapine too, which was added to my venlafaxine to try and increase its activation or something, according to my psychiatrist. Im pretty sure it was for depression, not psychosis, it was a low dose. I haven't had real psychosis consistently at any point in my life indicative of schizophrenia although my brother does have quite obvious schizophrenia.

I am typing out this sob story of mine not to beg for pity, or to explain how my problems are bigger than yours but just to explain how I have come to the conclusions of thought that I have, that life really isn't worth living. Like, I work so hard to overcome depression which is not easy for a depressed person as we all know, the psychomotor retardation effects make it feel like washing your hair or getting out of bed, or cooking your meal is an absolutely hellish and difficult chore. So to go to the gym and explicitly discipline myself to eat only one thing and go through the diligent years of learning psychiatry and neuroscience to try and find my answers and facilitate my recovery I am really fucking fed up. Like all my efforts are absolutely fucking fruitless, and no one sees them, no one knows how hard i've worked, I just look like this kid gifted with intelligence whos made nothing of himself, lazy seeming, a true shame. Unattractive to anyone really, dependent on my parents at 20. To do all the research on the medications and go through all the horrible side effects and develop IBS and autoimmune intolerances as a result, like I have been through quite a bit of hell, although believe me I am aware there are others who have it worse, don't think for a second I am not aware. I've read the Gulag Archipelago, I really can't believe how those people existed and did that,and didn't kill themselves. They make me look a joke, but my situation is as it lies, I can't just manifest some thought like: Oh think about the pain they went through you have nothing to cry about. It doesn't work, I wish it did but it doesn't. I cant help but hate my life and feel sorry for myself, even though I know it does me no good.

I've listened and read Jordan Peterson's work alot which has been a large guidance in the darkness of suffering but as much as I try to adopt his teachings I am suffering consistently.

Part of me wants to blame my neurology, that I was born with a depression and anxiety out of my control, part of me wants to blame my parents for having birthed me, part of me wants to blame myself for being undisciplined although honestly I dont believe it to be honest, its moreso a subconscious rumination the typical negative self talk manifesting in blaming the self. But, the more I have learned about mental illness and biology the less I really believe its anything to do with 'free will' whatever the hell that word means, anyone whos been on psychiatric medications that are potent, I believe could comment on the absence of free will. When you see how much adrenaline can change your behaviour, a shift in neurology its pretty ridiculous to suggest people have any control over what they do.

Part of me feels I am in the wrong place, maybe surrounded by a family with more rich intellectual insight, or surrounded by like minded people. Prosocial people, good reciprocal relationships and maybe a love life, then I wouldn't be depressed. A job or a field of study equal to my potential, a Job. I want to be a psychiatrist, I think anyway. I don't want anything though. I don't want anything but to be dead.

I fucking hate suffering though, and as the typical overthinking neurotic anxious type person I forever overthink and can endlessly invision all the ways suicide can go wrong, and just how much I hate pain! Just how much I absolutely hate it, my absolute proclivity to be in pain. I remember my vicious IBS attacks before adopting my current diet, that was the closest to hell I have been. No break from the hell, for hours and hours and hours constant unbelievable pain. God, cancer patients are so insanely impressive I don't know how they can just suffer every fucking day those poor fucking souls, they come back and fight more, and get cancer again and again and keep fighting and don't want their family to feel bad for them etc. Anyway: I have had my fair share of suffering, and I believe what Jordan Peterson said, that suffering is as real as real can be, it can even be seen as the meaning of life, and the reason its so real is because, try proving its not! What makes something real isn't exactly obvious so its a good point. But he suggests the only thing more powerful than suffering is love, and I feel I have no love in my heart. I feel my parents don't understand my situation at all and are unconsciously resentful of my dependency and emotional volatility etc etc etc. I really have no love in my heart for anyone, Im not a hateful person, but I have alot of negative emotion for humanity and the world and, perhaps even God if such a thing exists. I feel like there being a God makes more sense than no god.

Anyway, what I am getting at is: I want to be dead, I'd much rather be dead than continue on because no one wants me, and im gifted with a great brain I can't make any use of. I feel as useless and unwanted as could be. I feel like a square being pushed into a circle hole, I just dont belong here, I don't fit its the wrong reality the wrong universe, incompatible. <mod edit--methods>

Anyway, If it works and I die, what then. Does anyone know or think they know what that'd be like, would the suffering stop? Where would I go? Would I suffer more in hell? So much chaos and uncertainty, and its the chaos and uncertainty of this world that induces the perpetual anxiety and stress that induces the depression but the suicide is just as chaotic and uncertain. Is god real, will he hate me for what I have done? I don't know how the hell can I know. If he is why should I care, why do I deserve to suffer, if hes real, then he did this to me didnt he? He gave me a life of suffering he made me suffer, whyd he do that whyd i deserve that. Is he then a cruel and sadistic individual, why should I honour him. Maybe i should hate him. Theres absolutely no certainty its a solution, maybe its eternal blackness like the life before we were born, we didnt necessarily care we werent conscious, we werent real, we werent alive. But then again I dont remember being in pain during birth either, maybe ive just forgotten my previous life. God I just have no idea.

To those who have read this far, What do you think happens after you commit suicide? Does anyone else feel lonely or want to talk about these deep and dark philosophies, message me. Talk about anything I dont mind. I am caring and empathetic, not angry as I might seem here. This is anger at existence, not people i suppose. What happens after suicide, what do we think?

My heart goes out to all you suffering out there, I love you. You people are like me, you are so strong and undeserving of the hell that ensues.
I think after suicide one might end up in a place of even more suffering..i guess our minds while dying determines our birth..if we've lived honestly and done good deeds..our minds would be at peace and i believe we could go to good destination..but if we've done evil deeds..i guess we get afraid and guilty when dying..even in Catholic prayers we say "Holy Mary, mother of god, Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death"..i think what we think at the time of our death is important..thats waht hinduism,buddhism all eastern religions tell, i believe..even in christianity the catholic prayer i've mentioned..so when we commint suicide basically our mind is negative..im thinking there could be a bad birth after this..And im really very sorry for your pain..I truly am..we're all same..suffering in different ways..im so sorry..sending love and hugs........You are AWESOME!!
 
#5
@deepinthoughtasusual - I think maybe the ancient philosophy of Stoicism may help you, as it has me. Don't be put off by the modern meaning of "stoic" as unemotional. That's not the original meaning.

I encourage you to investigate this. I don't really feel up to explaining the whole philosophy but one great thing about it is that it's not a religion - so you can take what you like and ignore what you may not. One modern stoic is Ryan Holiday and he does YouTube videos about it and has written several books.

One thing I like about stoicism is that the key to a good life has nothing to do with external or material things - it's about you, your values and how you process emotions. I get really sick of the modern western idea that you should be "happy." Happiness is a state, not a condition. In stoicism you achieve a satisfying life and inner peace by living virtuously (the main stoic virtues being courage, temperance, justice and wisdom). You do not judge others nor pay attention to their judgments of you. You are kind, yet do not have expectations of others.

Another thing that I (as a writer) like about stoicism is that you don't judge the success of anything by the outcome. You judge it by how hard you worked for it. So when I finish a novel, it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or if it gets published - what matters is that I put my best effort into it. This is a huge relief for me and helped unblock me.

Anyway, check it out if you like. I've also found Buddhist ideas helpful, particular meditation.
 

ib4uib

Well-Known Member
#6
Wow, that was an extremely intelligent piece of writing...

I found what you wrote fascinating, you've studied the hell out of this shit!

Couple of things though.

1/ It's impossible to be born depressed, you'll never find a baby that shows signs of depression, depression is an outcome of past experiences and babies have no past experiences

2/ Somewhere in everybody's past is the trigger, there could be a few triggers, but one of them is the biggest of them all so start with that one.
I found mine to be at 3 years old.
 
#7
You sound very much like an old soul. You are wise beyond your years.
You are mostly alone because you have high moral standards. There are very few people around today who are like that.
I too am sick to the core of my soul as regards all of the suffering in this cruel world.
Hell is an old English word. It means "underground " . And not a place of eternal fire and torment.
There have been many mistranslations in the scriptures.
It sounds to me like you are suffering from an existential crisis as well as depression.
I too am going through this.
So sorry you are suffering too.
Take care.
Thankyou so much, that was so thoughtful and I really appreciate you attending my writings. I never considered the existential crisis, yes I think you're right. I am saddened because I feel life could be wonderful but there are too many ill intended people pervasing it.
 
#8
I think after suicide one might end up in a place of even more suffering..i guess our minds while dying determines our birth..if we've lived honestly and done good deeds..our minds would be at peace and i believe we could go to good destination..but if we've done evil deeds..i guess we get afraid and guilty when dying..even in Catholic prayers we say "Holy Mary, mother of god, Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death"..i think what we think at the time of our death is important..thats waht hinduism,buddhism all eastern religions tell, i believe..even in christianity the catholic prayer i've mentioned..so when we commint suicide basically our mind is negative..im thinking there could be a bad birth after this..And im really very sorry for your pain..I truly am..we're all same..suffering in different ways..im so sorry..sending love and hugs........You are AWESOME!!
Thankyou Nick, maybe it is true. I am sure not free of sin like any being, but I attend my neighbour a lot more than I have to, I feel I make effort to be a good student of God. But, why does he persist us through these periods of extended uncertainty. I hope your suffering may be mediated, feel free to open a discussion if you feel the need.
 

nicktheundoer

Love love love
#9
Thankyou Nick, maybe it is true. I am sure not free of sin like any being, but I attend my neighbour a lot more than I have to, I feel I make effort to be a good student of God. But, why does he persist us through these periods of extended uncertainty. I hope your suffering may be mediated, feel free to open a discussion if you feel the need.
Thank you....to refine us he puts us through difficult times..to make us holy and pure..There's a verse in The Bible. Romans 5:3-4
"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,"
 
#10
Sounds like all dressed up and no place to go. I find it hard to meet people with the same interests as mine. I have to agree this is a tough world to live in most of the time.

The way I do it is to find ways to help others. I have volunteered at a Hospice, joined and started groups of people to study spiritual things. It is good to keep busy doing something important. I write lyrics, poetry, and have a web site. I trade emails with people from other countries. My mind doesn't have time to dwell on my problems during the day. I don't know if this will help any, but it is something I enjoy. Love.
You are right Lekatt, It is undoubtable that the busier you keep the less negativity pervades your mind. I honour your charitable work, despite always having an inclination to do something charitable like maybe soup vans, I never in my life have really done anything, I have been so caught up with myself and my family to consider the others extrinsic to my close relatives, and alone. What kind of work do you do at the hospice, and how do you feel when you leave there? Interesting the emailing, it is nice you found people willing to engage in something like that, Where did you find them? I agree all dressed up and nowhere to go, nowhere I want to go anyway. It is hard to find like minds, certainly true. Surely, they must be out there.
 
#11
@deepinthoughtasusual - I think maybe the ancient philosophy of Stoicism may help you, as it has me. Don't be put off by the modern meaning of "stoic" as unemotional. That's not the original meaning.

I encourage you to investigate this. I don't really feel up to explaining the whole philosophy but one great thing about it is that it's not a religion - so you can take what you like and ignore what you may not. One modern stoic is Ryan Holiday and he does YouTube videos about it and has written several books.

One thing I like about stoicism is that the key to a good life has nothing to do with external or material things - it's about you, your values and how you process emotions. I get really sick of the modern western idea that you should be "happy." Happiness is a state, not a condition. In stoicism you achieve a satisfying life and inner peace by living virtuously (the main stoic virtues being courage, temperance, justice and wisdom). You do not judge others nor pay attention to their judgments of you. You are kind, yet do not have expectations of others.

Another thing that I (as a writer) like about stoicism is that you don't judge the success of anything by the outcome. You judge it by how hard you worked for it. So when I finish a novel, it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or if it gets published - what matters is that I put my best effort into it. This is a huge relief for me and helped unblock me.

Anyway, check it out if you like. I've also found Buddhist ideas helpful, particular meditation.
Thankyou for your contribution and attention in my writing. I have briefly heard of stoicism, I will take on board what you said and perhaps engage with Ryan Holiday's videos. ADHD makes it hard for me to apply myself to things, But I will try. Maybe like you say: I need to feel achievement from the effort I put in, rather than the result. That philosophy is so powerful as if you appreciate your efforts, success will eventually present, both internally and externally. I really wonder how you can sustain yourself in not having expectations of others though. I understand that it leads to disappointment to expect, I really do. But, is it not the case that if you are eternally kind, then will you be eternally used and abused and drained for all you are worth by parasitical people? I have been in this position many times in life, so I have learned not to invest in others with my kindness overtly as a result, and to prioritise the self. A healthy narcissism my psychiatrist terms it. I agree happiness is a state not a destination, one cannot live in eternal paradise. You can experience happiness more frequently perhaps if you have a large wealth of love in your life. But, it is only a frequency adjustment. I do feel as though the virtues mentioned are ever important. The world needs justice and courage urgently now. I think in courage also implies honesty, to have the courage to stand up for what is true, and not fearfully purport and live through the lens of a lie.
 
#12
Wow, that was an extremely intelligent piece of writing...

I found what you wrote fascinating, you've studied the hell out of this shit!

Couple of things though.

1/ It's impossible to be born depressed, you'll never find a baby that shows signs of depression, depression is an outcome of past experiences and babies have no past experiences

2/ Somewhere in everybody's past is the trigger, there could be a few triggers, but one of them is the biggest of them all so start with that one.
I found mine to be at 3 years old.
You are very kind, I am so glad you found it fascinating. It is very rewarding to feel as though my creative process may attribute value to someone else's life, I lack communication in general with people, its nice to hear some feedback, and I would like to say you are right. I have studied it so endlessly and desperately but also, I am such an overthinker, I will endlessly ponder deeply, intensely and relentlessly about these things.

I agree it is not known to see depressed babies, if there are any I haven't heard of them. But, the world is full of instances of suffering (triggers), suffering is inevitable and yes you can be triggered into a depressive state. But, what intensity of a trigger results a depression to you is based on your neurotic proclivity, which is one of the psychologists 5 factor psychometrics for personality. What will keep one person in despair will not in others with lower neuroticism. I don't think it to be mysterious that SSRI can help many people, as the mechanistic explanation of serotonin deficient individuals experiencing greater neuroticism makes sense, having lower resilience to negative stimuli. The heritability of neuroticism is speculated to be between 30 and 60%, so while yes, it is majorly environmental or partially (unknown due to the 30-60 range), it is certainly a component and not an insignificant one, but it is also often unfortunately somewhat rigid as there is a lot of things stopping us from changing our environment such as finances and dependence, or mental illness such that one is dysfunctional.

It is very good you had success in identifying one of your triggers, especially at 3 years old! What a remarkable inquiry that must have been, my memories at 3 are very few.

I have had a relentless history of psychological abuse on behalf of my brother, 6 years older than me though. So I agree with you, my history and childhood is rife with malicious inflictions of pain, emotional and otherwise and hence rife with potential triggers. I suffer a sort of PTSD if I hear his feet pacing, breathing, or voice tone. My anxious brain can recognise his presence in a house, his smell, etc. I feel as though I have awareness of him from afar, I have mastered identifying his idiosyncrasies in such an extended state of anxiety. But this endless stress can certainly wear one down, and who knows what role it played in my development to be forever at the tyranny of a narcissistic bully, with absolutely no down time.

Feel free to tell me more about your journey, I would be intrigued and interested.

Thankyou so much for reading my sorrowful letter and giving me thoughted response and commending my writing, you are very kind. I hope you are in a better place than you once were.
 
#13
But, is it not the case that if you are eternally kind, then will you be eternally used and abused and drained for all you are worth by parasitical people?
Jesus was meek and eternally kind..he was crucified..Our main goal should be to be unselfish as Swami Vivekananda says..we're gonna get persecuted 100%..But we'll get more unselfish..Therefore,more happiness..idk if you agree with me..That's just my perspective..
 
#14
Thank you....to refine us he puts us through difficult times..to make us holy and pure..There's a verse in The Bible. Romans 5:3-4
"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,"
That is so deep nick honestly, I absolutely love that. Thankyou for sharing, I am going to write it down. I have adhd and struggle with the process of attending learning, but If I did manage to sustain myself to read some holy books, are there any you might recommend from the bible. Which make the most sense or are exceedingly rife with wisdom of utility and hopeful outlook.
 
#15
That is so deep nick honestly, I absolutely love that. Thankyou for sharing, I am going to write it down. I have adhd and struggle with the process of attending learning, but If I did manage to sustain myself to read some holy books, are there any you might recommend from the bible. Which make the most sense or are exceedingly rife with wisdom of utility and hopeful outlook.
I haven't read The Bible fully..but Ecclesiastes is good from the Old Testament and from the New Testament..You can find the gospels of Jesus's teachings..I'm sorry about your ADHD..I have schizophrenia..and it's difficult for me to focus as well..so.i get you..hugs...good luck....*hug
 
#16
Jesus was meek and eternally kind..he was crucified..Our main goal should be to be unselfish as Swami Vivekananda says..we're gonna get persecuted 100%..But we'll get more unselfish..Therefore,more happiness..idk if you agree with me..That's just my perspective..
It is a good philosophy because imagine the good it might do in the world if more people adopted such philosophy, but there is always people to cheat the system unfortunately and I would feel naive and idiotic not to evade them where I can. But when I feel as though my kindness will do good, I do try to be not 100% selfless, but fair and to give to those less fortunate I think is worthwhile. I fear that if we were to give our wealth to some people, they would burn it all in their sinful endeavours, drug addicts for example. I feel as though I must be selfish to be selfless, as I want to develop myself and perhaps lead a career in psychiatry, where then with education I can help so much more and touch more lives. So I must keep my head down and develop myself in order to be strong and overcome some evils so that I can help my weaker comrades, who have fallen into chaos.
 

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
#19
You are right Lekatt, It is undoubtable that the busier you keep the less negativity pervades your mind. I honour your charitable work, despite always having an inclination to do something charitable like maybe soup vans, I never in my life have really done anything, I have been so caught up with myself and my family to consider the others extrinsic to my close relatives, and alone. What kind of work do you do at the hospice, and how do you feel when you leave there? Interesting the emailing, it is nice you found people willing to engage in something like that, Where did you find them? I agree all dressed up and nowhere to go, nowhere I want to go anyway. It is hard to find like minds, certainly true. Surely, they must be out there.
In answer to your questions: I am no longer doing Hospice, I was a volunteer and listened to the patients. Held their hand and tried to make them feel more comfortable. I am a spiritual person, but not religious. I would pray with them and do small favors when they wanted. It was a rewarding experience for me, and I loved doing it. I had to stop when the Hospice wanted me to take out an insurance policy that I could not afford. Sad day.

I get the email through my website at Thoughtful Living. I started the site after I had a heart attack, and a Near Death Experience. That is when I became a spiritual person.

They usually start the email by asking questions and we end up becoming friends and share our lives.

I think you are a great person, and you will overcome any problems you may have now. I think this because of your insight and understanding of self.

Wish you the best of everything

Love

Leroy
 

ib4uib

Well-Known Member
#20
You are very kind, I am so glad you found it fascinating. It is very rewarding to feel as though my creative process may attribute value to someone else's life, I lack communication in general with people, its nice to hear some feedback, and I would like to say you are right. I have studied it so endlessly and desperately but also, I am such an overthinker, I will endlessly ponder deeply, intensely and relentlessly about these things.

I agree it is not known to see depressed babies, if there are any I haven't heard of them. But, the world is full of instances of suffering (triggers), suffering is inevitable and yes you can be triggered into a depressive state. But, what intensity of a trigger results a depression to you is based on your neurotic proclivity, which is one of the psychologists 5 factor psychometrics for personality. What will keep one person in despair will not in others with lower neuroticism. I don't think it to be mysterious that SSRI can help many people, as the mechanistic explanation of serotonin deficient individuals experiencing greater neuroticism makes sense, having lower resilience to negative stimuli. The heritability of neuroticism is speculated to be between 30 and 60%, so while yes, it is majorly environmental or partially (unknown due to the 30-60 range), it is certainly a component and not an insignificant one, but it is also often unfortunately somewhat rigid as there is a lot of things stopping us from changing our environment such as finances and dependence, or mental illness such that one is dysfunctional.

It is very good you had success in identifying one of your triggers, especially at 3 years old! What a remarkable inquiry that must have been, my memories at 3 are very few.

I have had a relentless history of psychological abuse on behalf of my brother, 6 years older than me though. So I agree with you, my history and childhood is rife with malicious inflictions of pain, emotional and otherwise and hence rife with potential triggers. I suffer a sort of PTSD if I hear his feet pacing, breathing, or voice tone. My anxious brain can recognise his presence in a house, his smell, etc. I feel as though I have awareness of him from afar, I have mastered identifying his idiosyncrasies in such an extended state of anxiety. But this endless stress can certainly wear one down, and who knows what role it played in my development to be forever at the tyranny of a narcissistic bully, with absolutely no down time.

Feel free to tell me more about your journey, I would be intrigued and interested.

Thankyou so much for reading my sorrowful letter and giving me thoughted response and commending my writing, you are very kind. I hope you are in a better place than you once were.
It took hitting the complete bottom of the pit to see the way out, I was knocked unconscious at 3 and all through until 12. It doesn't matter what shape bullying comes in, it all has the same effect!

But at the bottom of the pit I found a way to look at it all differently regarding my experiences, once I had got over the blame hurdle, everything else kind of just magically disappeared.

I couldn't change the past and I'd spend all day every day trying, but what I didn't realise was I could change the future. Because once I understood I had been dealing with every problem that come along all through life, by relating it to the way I dealt with the same experiences in my past, I found I was on new ground. (Hope this makes sense, I've made it sound confusing and it really isn't)

And where things can trigger feelings from the past you so very well describe above, those feelings wasn't my own, those feelings was beaten into me and backed up with fear meant I wouldn't argue back.
But here's the kicker, I didn't exactly understand the fear thing cuz I'm not that smart, so I'd argue back and get knocked out for it!

Drinking was my big downfall and ended me up homeless, but I've stopped that now and 4 years dry. Still homeless and no job. But feel great!
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top