Will meds help me?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by GreyCat, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I wake up every morning wishing I hadn't. I dont want to go outside, I feel unable to handle my life.

I need to do something about my problem. besides being really depressed, I have problems communicating with people because of high anxiety. I cant really converse when I'm nervous because my brain seems to shut down. I'm one of these mute people. And when I do speak I jumble up my words because I'm so nervous. I also can't handle any kind of criticism or conflict, I get really emotional and start shaking. This is ruining my life. I wasn't always like this.

Does it sound like something meds could help, or would I just be making things worse for myself?

Thanks for reading

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Once you find the right medication and dosage, it can definitely have a positive impact. It's been a lifesaver for me.

Have a chat to your doctor about your options :)

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you're anxious about anxiety medication you should be on it. ;)

4. GreyCat

Thanks for replying. I have strong reservations about taking drugs because I can't stand the idea of making myself worse. Or fatter. My head is wrecked. I keep hoping I'll get over this problem naturally but its not really happening. I wonder if anyone who is a naturally sociable and outgoing person (as I used to be) has had this problem and solved it with medication. I dont know what to do with myself when I'm like this because I'm just not myself when I'm like this.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Meditation and exercise are side-effect free ways to reduce your anxiety, though I suspect you're at a level where they won't do the job completely. I suggest you try medication - for anxiety, you usually take a really low dose of an antidepressant and they rarely have a negative effect at that dose.

6. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Well if your depression is purely a chemical imbalance then meds would most likely fix you right up!

Not all meds will make you fat either. The only side effects i get from mine are dry mouth. The worst arise from not taking it.

7. All these mixed emotions

All these mixed emotions Well-Known Member

i like benso (valium) hehe

try that, works within 15-30 min, unlike all those SSRI and SNRI stuff that need weeks to start working and has some rather nasty effects during that time if youre unlucky, example svere psykosis and swinging depression, the can also increase the suicide-feelings during that period and some other minor stuff to..

be sure to be aware of the sideeffects so you dont get a surprise...

All is basically drugs and should be handeld as such

take care

//L

8. GreyCat

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been agonising over whether to go on meds for months and months. I think posting this and hearing back from people about it gave me the little push I needed. Went to doc today and got sorted. Hopefully these drugs will suit me...

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What did you get?

10. GreyCat

escitalopram 5mg

11. flowers

flowers Senior Member

way to go Deex !!!!! The right med will help. Glad you took the plunge. Keep going with the medication route. It really is worth it.

12. GreyCat

Thanks. I'm really headachey from it just now but I think it will pass. I really do feel alot calmer already. A situation thats been driving me mad seems more tolerable this weekend...

13. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Deex, yes often those side effects pass within the first two weeks. occassionally it takes a bit longer. I am reallyyyyy glad to hear that things have already eased up for you emotionally. You rock !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.