With All the Crap That has Gone On Lately-A Moment of Pure Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Godsdrummer

So I have to play 2 services every Sunday at church as part of the Praise band. Ok..so I dont "have" to, rather I have been called to, as a way of sharing the gift of music God gave me so many years ago.

Anyway, first service is at 830am, second at 1030. That means, we get free time for an hour inbetween services.

Now...let me set the stage. I am a drummer. Always have been, always will. But..I was a music ed major in college, and I could play other instruments somewhat,,guitar and piano to be specific. And piano more so, because of how it translates to percussion instruments like, Vibes, Marimba, etc.

So it was that yesterday during our free time, the 3 guitarists happened to find themselves back up on the platform. The acoustic guitarist starts laying down this jazz/bluesy rock thing. All of sudden the electric/lead guitarist and bass player pcik up on the groove and join in. At this point, I am just sitting of the platform in the chairs watching them. Bass player calls me up.

But I didnt want to play, I wanted to save my energy. So I went and sat on the keyboard stool just to give the acoustic guitarist a hard time. I then got the bright idea to strike a note on the keyboard, hoping it would be out of key, just to be funny.

Well it was in key. And all of a sudden 27 years of learning came back to me. And we jammed for like 20 mins, and I was playing keys!!! I never played keyboard with any other musicians before, I tell you it was magical. I wish I could have captured it on cd.

Other band members who werent playing and those that were, were amazed. they never heard me play keyboard before.

Now I play keyboard, like I do drums, by ear. So it was really amazing that I could find the key that they were playing in, with just the first note. I believe it was a d. lol:Leiaha:

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Sounds really cool, Bill. :) I wish I could play an instrument well enough to do that!

IV2010

Wow Bill..that's amazing
that's a wonderful thing to be able to do

I always wanted to be a pianist but am flat out reading music and def cant play by ear
you have a 'gift'

peacelovingguy

Well it was in key.

And all of a sudden 27 years of learning came back to me.

And we jammed for like 20 mins, and I was playing keys!!!

I never played keyboard with any other musicians

Well done - its better than being with a women - sounds dismissive but until you played live how do you know?

A recording lasts for eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00