worried about telling my doctor i suffer with depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Handyandy, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handyandy

Handyandy New Member

Hi for years now i have always struggled with severe depression, it is only since the internet has come about that i realize this is a medical problem. Before this i thought it was just how things are. I really want to speak to my doctor but feel silly and will not be taken seriously. Do doctors always take this sort of thing seriously or will they just tell you you are being silly. I already feel a bit silly by asking on this forum but things are getting so bad now i felt i had to do something.
  2. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

Not only should you be open an honest about these feelings, you should also relay them to your doctor. YOur doc can possibly describe something to help you but can also refer you to someone who can help you manage those feelings. The worst thing you can do is keep it to yourself. Best of luck my friend.
  3. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

Definitely talk to your doctor about your depression. I think that most people probably feel silly at first, but doctors recognize depression as a serious condition that can be treated easily with medication and/or therapy. I've had depression throughout my life but I didn't seek treatment at first - so I suffered needlessly. Several years after that initial period of severe depression, I did talk to my doctor and with medication I started to feel like a different person...the person I really was. Do let us know how it goes for you.
  4. It's not silly. Doctors are medical professionals and they shouldn't call someone silly no matter how ridiculous it may sound. You are feeling depressed and it would be best if you can tell your doctor honestly how you feel to get a proper diagnosis. A proper diagnosis will help you get the treatment you need. If you want to get better, be honest about it in front of your doctor. Don't wait till matter got worse then it will be too late for treatment.
  5. random33

random33 Well-Known Member

It is as silly as telling him that you have a broken leg (if only it was that easy to fix), depression is a serious medical condition and should be adressed, talk to your doctor and get treated, I believe most people in this forum have experienced first hand what you are feeling, so if there is a place where you can talk is here.
  6. myname

myname Member

Talked to my doctor about it (was in tears). They told me to take medication. I said I didn't want to and that ended the conversation. They didn't seem to care. Not sure if my experience is typical or not. Also had two therapists who didn't seem to think it was a big deal but other people seem to have found therapists who think it is a big deal. Hmm so I guess really I have no idea, just my limited experience to go on.
  7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

If you are at a Dr office and they recommend medication and you say no then there really is not much else to have a conversation with a doctor about. Just like any other illness- if they say you have strep throat and do not went an antibiotic they are done. Same with therapist- all take seriously but so far as being a "big deal" - it is 90% of their clients- , not overly unique and I would be very concerned if they acted like it was a "big deal" when it is the most common reason in the world to seek counseling.

To the original poster- 1 in 5 people in the US have been treated for depression at some point in their lives- it is not in anyway going to be something strange or new to any Dr. How they treat it varies, some will simply prescribe medications(that is the typical first step) while others prefer to refer you to a pdoc and let the pdoc handle the psyche/depression medications. It is a matter of what they are comfortable with and of course you have a lot of say in that as well.
  8. Anonymous29

Anonymous29 New Member

Good Morning. My advice is to tell your doctor. Sometimes it's beneficial to hear the opinion of a third party (especially when it's a medical expert). I completely understand that it's difficult to tell a friend or family member, but a doctor is a person that won't judge and that will do what they can to help. I wish you the best of luck. Always remember that you are loved!
  9. myname

myname Member

NYJmpMaster yes I guess you are right doctors are only about giving people drugs and nothing else. Guess I shouldn't expected anything more. Dumb of me. I don't know about your point about therapists. They pretty much had the same reaction as if I told them I had pizza for dinner or watched this or that movie, guess I expected them to be a little less casual about it, but like doctors they know some patients are just not worth saving. Tried getting help from several people (both professionals and a non-professional) and I think I really need to quit thinking that somehow others will help me. I should know by now I am beyond any help. Been thinking about things for so long, time to quit talking and just act. No point in trying anymore.

I apologize for wasting people's time with my posts, really didn't mean to do that. Sorry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.