worried/upset about someone in hospital?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lost_in_a_fairytale, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_in_a_fairytale

lost_in_a_fairytale Active Member

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section but I'm worried about my best friend. I think they may have been hospitalized for depression a few weeks ago, but I have no way of knowing for sure because I don't know their family and I read that the hospital isn't allowed to tell you because of patient confidentiality.

I knew they'd already had treatment recently at the hospital as an outpatient which did help them improve and that since the treatment ended they were waiting for an appointment from the people at the hospital to see what happens next, but I've not heard anything since and it's unusual for them not to respond me to in so long so I reckon they have been hospitalized. I just feel really worried and upset because I hate imagining them in that scenario when I've read about patients who say being there made them feel worse, that the staff were rude, wasn't a nice atmosphere, etc :( Apparently one psych did say before the treatment that it would be a good idea to be hospitalized, so that's why I assume that's what's happened. I miss being able to talk to them/see them aswell as being worried about how they're getting on. Anyone else had someone they're close to end up in hospital? how did you cope with being worried about them / feeling upset? (especially if you couldn't see them / talk to them?). I know which hospital it is, but I also know you aren't allowed to just walk in and ask to see someone. It's already been almost a month since I last heard from my friend, so I guess it's been that long since they've been in hospital. The more time that passes the more worried I feel, I've heard some people can be there for multiple months, and that thought makes me worry even more.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Some hosptial the psych unit is very caring and give the therapy and support one needs to survive better when out. You are allowed to go in and visit patients there is not stopping that
    It will probably help your friend to know you care abt them If you cannot get into visit You can mail hospital a card and your friend will get it no problem
    You don't have to worry ok it is good your friend is in hospital as it is a safe place there

3. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Wish there was more people like you who cares about their friends so much.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are such a caring person, but I don't understand why you would not be allowed to visit your friend? Usual practice is that you can visit an inpatient even if you are not a family member. Well that is the way it is here, I don't know where you are. From your post it does seem very possible that your friend has been hospitalized, try not to worry, yes its true that the psych ward can make people feel worse but it also makes many feel better, remember they have a duty to care and look after your friend no matter what.

5. lost_in_a_fairytale

lost_in_a_fairytale Active Member

I'm in the UK. the hospital's website confused me a bit, it said you can't ring up and check if someone you know is there, but then it also said about ringing them to check the visiting times... but then you'd have to know which ward the patient's in in the first place. It sounds like you can only visit if you know the family so they can tell you which ward it is, etc. I just realized today that I may have my friend's parent's number as they said a while ago they gave their old phone to them and I still have the old number, so providing they didn't switch the chip the number could be the same. I might try messaging the number incase it is the family, I feel a bit awkward about it though as we've never spoken before......I hope my friend or their family wouldn't think I'm being too intrusive / dramatic contacting their family? I don't know :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.