• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Worst possible timing or maybe best

BananaAnna

I guess it depends on how I look at it.
One word: MANIC

Since my bipolar 1 diagnosis 6 or so years ago, I’ve always went on and off meds. Normally go on when depressed and off when mania sets in. When I go off meds when manic it is usually because I start to feel I don’t need them.

I’ve been in a severe depression the past 2 months to the point where family was worried and asked that I seek treatment again. I agreed. So I called my doctor that I saw before back up. Of course it takes like a month to get in to see her. Now it’s been almost 2 weeks since I saw her and I’ve started cycling out of depression.

So this is the first time I’ve started treatment and then cycled out of the depression during the initiation of treatment. I think it will be good for my doctor and probably myself to get a good look at my mania. I think it can be bad if I decide I don’t need treatment.

Maybe this makes sense. It’s taking me a while to write it. Concentration is very off right now.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Staff member
ADMIN
Hi @BananaAnna - Good for you for seeing your doctor! Maybe if you tell her how and why you slip on and off meds you and she can then work out the most informed and helpful plan of action to keep you on the meds.

You have made a lot of sense. I’m sorry it’s hard to concentrate atm. I hope you feel well soon! *hug

BananaAnna

Hi @BananaAnna - Good for you for seeing your doctor! Maybe if you tell her how and why you slip on and off meds you and she can then work out the most informed and helpful plan of action to keep you on the meds.

You have made a lot of sense. I’m sorry it’s hard to concentrate atm. I hope you feel well soon! *hug
She knows. I try to be open about everything. Thank you for the kind words :)

Baywasp

Does Petty Complaints Right
@BananaAnna from what I’ve heard it’s not uncommon for patients who are experiencing mania to struggle with taking medication. For reasons like, as you said, feeling like they don’t need the medication anymore or even beginning to feel invincible. Some people just enjoy the feeling of being manic. After the first few major mood cycles I experienced, which were a nightmare, my mania was mostly less severe, so it was kind of fun for me. But there was always the inevitable crash. I discussed it with my doctor, and he pointed that out. Once I was able to find a combination of medications that was effective in helping to stabilize me, the desire to avoid the depressive crash is what convinced me to stay on it.

BananaAnna

The desire to avoid the depressive crash should be enough to make me want to stay on too. I enjoy the hypo mania, I must admit. When I get full manic it’s a disaster. Thankfully I haven’t had as many of those episodes. The right combo of meds is a large problem for me. I’m almost ready to tell my doctor to start over.

Baywasp

Does Petty Complaints Right
The desire to avoid the depressive crash should be enough to make me want to stay on too. I enjoy the hypo mania, I must admit. When I get full manic it’s a disaster. Thankfully I haven’t had as many of those episodes. The right combo of meds is a large problem for me. I’m almost ready to tell my doctor to start over.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do regarding your medication.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$195.00
Goal
$255.00