Zoloft side effects - any experiencies?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Trazodone helped me, but gave me heart palpations and asthma symptoms so i stopped taking them. My doctor got pretty angry with me, she said that side effects do go away and that i shouldn't stop taking them.

Now she gave me Zoloft, low dosage, 25-50 mg. After searching the web, i realize that most people on these meds have difficulty with erections and abillity to achieve orgasm. Which is why i am very anxious to take them.
    Can they cause permanent damage? Can side effects occur even at such low dosage? Could you please share you expiriences? How soon do side effects usually appear?
    I really appreciate any informations

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Side effects do occur on any medication. But I didn't have any side effects on Zoloft bar it making me manic because I have bipolar. It can cause gastro intestinal disturbances in some people but this generally settles down. Any psychiatric med can cause problems with sex drive I'm afraid but it doesn't mean this one will.

3. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Visit the FDA label for Zoloft (generic: Sertraline), which is a PDF you can download at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/019839s070,020990s032lbl.pdf

I took Zoloft at 100mg per day for two years, about 25 years ago. Anything I could say about side effects would be invalid for you, since this varies for each patient. Or even for one patient at different times.

Zoloft belongs to the same class of drugs, called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), that includes Prozac. The label is a technical document addressed to physicians, but some of it is comprehensible to non-medical people. See the CONTRAINDICATIONS on page 13 and WARNINGS on pages 14-16. You must NOT take Zoloft or any other SSRI if you are also taking an MAO inhibitor (MAOI), or within two weeks after stopping the MAOI, because a serious or fatal drug interaction can occur. Your doctor can tell you more about this. You also should not take Zoloft if you take another SSRI such as Prozac at the same time, unless your doctor tells you to do so.

There is some risk of adverse events if you take Zoloft and certain antipsychotic drugs at the same time. Do this only if your doctor tells you to.

Tell your doctor if you plan to stop taking Zoloft. Withdrawal effects can occur if you suddenly stop Zoloft or other SSRIs after having been on them for several months or longer. In this case, your doctor may step down the dose in stages before taking you off it.

As far as I can understand, Zoloft and other SSRI drugs very rarely cause permanent damage to people who use them as prescribed. Like airlines and the small possibility of a crash if you fly, no drug can be risk-free. All prescription drugs are tested for safety in animals, then in human volunteers. Zoloft has been on the market for 25 years and is safer than many other drugs commonly used for mental health care. It does not cause tardive dyskinesia. Overdose is possible but almost never fatal.

Side effects are most likely to begin soon after you start taking the medicine, after the first dose or during the first week. They may be temporary, and go away after your body adjusts to it. If side effects are bothersome enough that you must stop Zoloft, then they will fade within a few days or weeks after you stop taking it. Do tell your doctor if you have side effects. A slight dry mouth is expected, especially at first, and you may want to avoid heavy exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet rays until you know how your skin responds, although photosensitivity is rare (see page 35). Also take care about driving a car if you feel dizzy or drowsy.

Zoloft will probably cause your sex drive to diminish at first. Total impotence is unlikely, and most or all your previous sex function should return over time.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

I have been on Zoloft going on 6 months. I feel better as in I dont feel like killing myself all the time. I get spacey like I cant really focus on anything. (suicide especially) for some reason it is hard to concentrate on anything unless it is extremely pertinent. I am a little ditzy. When I first started taking it I got EXTREMELY dizzy. i felt really drunk. It was kind of awesome actually. I was upping my dose just so I can stay like that cause I didn't really feel anything. I just didnt care. at 100mg waivering toward 200, I think I am finding a balance. DO NOT DRINK with it. I went on a stupid binge while I was on vacation, it ruined it. it took me like a week or two to recover. Alcohol and Zoloft dont mix, it mitigates the effects of zoloft. other than what was brought on by my own stupidity the only real side effect I have had is libedo. I have more stamina in bed. and i am not constantly horny like i was before. hahaha
    in all Zoloft has been a very positive experience for me.

5. Akai_Namida

Akai_Namida Member

I have never been prescribed Zoloft, but I know that some years ago, it was prescribed to my father to help him cope with his social anxiety issues. It seemed to work okay from a daughter's perspective, but not long after he began taking it, he would have night terrors and my stepmother on several occasions found him outside in the yard, screaming in the middle of the night. I don't know if that was a direct side effect of the medication (he was still drinking pretty often at the time), but I found it incredibly strange and a little scary. Luckily, he stopped taking it and (hopefully) switched medications. It's really scary how there are so many medications out there that cause way more problems than they solve. I definitely think that many of these medications like Zoloft and Xanax require more testing before they're so readily dispensed to the public. It's not working if it only replaces or adds to the mental condition with physical and mental repercussions.

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for replies. There is one thing i would like to ask: can zoloft side effects appear after taking it for a while? Let's say i don't have any severe side effects for 1 month or more and suddenly they start to have impact on my sexual function? Or is it that if you don't expirience sexual side effects in beggining it will most likely stay that way? Becuase after 2 weeks i don't suffer from many side effects, but i'm afraid they will apear over time...

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

The thing is, that zoloft is helping me, but i'm afraid that after a while i will suffer from sexual side effects...

8. rosi

rosi Member

My experience: i take Zoloft since many years ago (100mg) and i dont have any side effect but as someone said any person is different but the question is, for what do you want your sex working 100% if you feel bad, if you feel depressed.
    Depression could make your sex doesnt work too.
    My 2 cents is that you need to see the prioroties. 1st feel good as whole person and then come the sex thing.

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Rosi, in a way i agree. But then, i'm really young and i wish to have family one day in a future. And i would you like to know if i should expect the problems to appear latter or is it usually means that if you don't have side effects in first month, you won't have them later...

10. normaljoe

it won't make you impotent/sterile. all it does is decrease your libido. I have not heard of anything being permanent on the forums or webMD. sometimes it has "side effects may decrease with time". As far as problems occurring later on, idk. If I were you I would stop worrying about it or else you may produce the side effects yourself. Everyone reacts differently and if you have not had those problems yet then awesome. you have a prescribing doctor, I think these questions are better suited for them, not to be rude. None of us are really qualified to answer this regardless of how long I/We have been taking the meds.

11. normaljoe

:Giraffe:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.