• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

A Song a Day

For Lennonesques, “#9 Dream,” 1980, is de rigeur. So long ago...was it in a dream? ... ? Seems so real to me. To walk down the street. Through the heat whispered trees. I thought I could hear, hear, hear, here...Sometimes they call out my name...two spirits dancing so strange...

It was hot in the Houston of 1980. And humid. In the May-June-July-August-September-October, I skulked the pavements in a filthy sleeveless undershirt not washed for a year, aged 15-16, on the hard ass of my rump on the concrete at night, so many nights the alcove in the parking garage I slept in developed an oil slick from my apocrine sweat and body exudates. Like a little aphid, dewing on a leaf, but sour, not sweet. Like a car leaking oil in an overused parking space. I had nothing, nothing, not even a poncho over my naked, smelly armpits, which also saw little washing that year.

There was a street prophet. His name was Robert. I told him the Comet Lie, and went down to the lake of fire. That is how it is, with hop-along the three-legged dog skipping after the clatter of Robert’s shopping cart, and Pattie and Janice and the apartments they opened to me, for a while.

I could not do it again today. I tried, busing out to Miami in 2002, but I’ve got orthopedic back and hip issues to contend with now. When you are down on the streets with nothing on your back but bare skin under a blazing sun, you realize how fragile this life is. Pop! And it’s all over. :cool:;):confused::eek:

John Lennon
#9 Dream
You Tube
 
Last edited:
It's all a dream. Truth? We can't handle the truth!
Ja. Except it’s not a dream, it’s happening to us. But ja. A representation of this world, seen by the Dopplegänger that follows your every step, the scream of the red milkweed beetle, honest “four eyed” longhorn, Mr. Tetraopes. When you flicked him off the milkweed leaf and smashed him under your boot because you were angered by the large number of Tetraopes tetropthalmus destroying the whole milkweed patch in 2014. Yet few landed this year; most of the milks went to pod, brown and bursting with parachutes before October 1.

It is like being that beetle, to be a weirdo, observing the mosaic of the world through tiny, bulbous compound eyes. I am acutely sensitive to motion, to any noise. I am mindful. Of the dragonflies, here in meter-long forms in the Pennsylvanian-Permian, here in the thinner air of the Cenezoic but smaller, and almost certainly to be here 290 million years hence. This might be the last summer I ever see them in flight, as assumptions about continued life become steadily less reliable.

We’re gettin’ old, Machina. Bet you’re creaking like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz as you pass 49, 50, 51, 52 summers under the bloated red sun of its red giant stage. God speed. You will need it, I will need it, in our little survival capsules, as we journey, we fall into the Milky Way. Homeless in a Giant Spiral Galaxy. ™

“What is truth?” asked Pontius Pilate as he washed his hands of Jesus, in his basin. A nail between your radius and ulna, to hang from, to die in pain, screaming. I am the King of Pain. :mad:
 
Last edited:
Why is the idea that it's all a dream so objectionable? What's wrong with dreams?
~
View attachment 4071
`
nn bjn m qdwt
jr nj qdt js pw wA.k m Hr.j m hrw pn
xr m qdt.k xnt zj.k r kmt


Nothing is wrong with dreams.
But if it is not a dream, then you do evil in my face this day,
for by means of your dream, your man sails upstream out of Egypt.

MDC Coding for JSesh hieroglyphic text editor
D35A:n-b-i-n:G37-m-qd-d:t-D7A
i-r-D35A-qd-d:t-D7A-i-s-p-w-wA-A-(G37-Z1):k-m-Hr:Z1-i-A1-m-h:r-Z7:N5-p:n
x:r-xr-m-qd-d:t-D7A:k-xnt-n:t-P5-z:A1-k:r-km-m-(t-Z1):N24

JSesh
© Serge Rasmorduc 2015, 2016
Creative Commons
Download JSesh 6.5.5/6.5.10 free
https://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/
 

Rafs

Well-Known Member
State of Love and Trust by Pearl Jam. To me this song represents alot of the way I've been feeling. On the outside everything looks fine and fun, but inside I'm fighting with myself and screaming for someone to help me.

Lyrics:
State of love and trust as I busted down the pretext
Sin still plays and preaches, but to have an empty court, uh huh
And the signs are passin', grip the wheel, can't read it
Sacrifice receiving the smell that's on my hands, hands, yeah

And I listen for the voice inside my head
Nothin', I'll do this one myself

Lay her down as priest does, should the Lord be accountin'
Will be in my honor, make it pain, painfully quick, uh huh
Promises are whispered in the age of darkness
Want to be enlightened like I want to be told the end, end, yeah

And the barrel shakes aimed a directly at my head
Oh, help me, help me from myself
And I listen for the voice inside my head
Nothin', I'll do this one myself
Myself, myself

Hey, na na na na, hey that's something
Hey, na na na na, hey that's something
Hey, na na na na, hey that's something
Wanna back, back it away, yeah

And I listen, yeah, for the voice inside my head
Nothin', I'll do this one myself
Oh, ah, and the barrel waits, trigger shakes
Aimed right at my head, won't you help me
Help me from myself

State of love and trust, and a
State of love and trust, and a
State of love and trust, and a
State of love and yeah yeah
 
...What's wrong with dreams?
Corrections & Notes

Erratum: Line 1; singular qdt “dream,” not plural qdwt “dreams.”

A more literal, word-for-word translation:
No badness is in a dream.
If it is not a dream, then you do evil in my face in this day.
With your dream, your man sails upstream from Egypt.

Grammar:
nn qdt “no dream,” negation of existence in adverbial predicate follows Allen (3ed.) §10.4,11.4
jr protasis of conditional sentence, after Allen §18.12.
nj qdt js “not a dream,” negation of nominal predicate follows Allen §11.5

Sweet dreams. :D
 
More grammar:

Line 3; particle xr allows preposition m to stand at front of sentence; Allen §15.6.13.
xnt zj.k is future subjunctive (Allen §18.7), but this time to be construed as gnomic despite omission of
prefatory jw.

The grammar of the sDm.f is notoriously difficult, as this verb form can be employed to accomplish any of six or seven linguistic functions in a sentence. However, small changes of reading sense do not affect the semantics here; I did not wish to translate xnt zj.k as “your man will sail upstream from Egypt,” which comes across as stilted or excessively formal.
 
Damn it. More than ten minutes no edits. But r kmt “from Egypt,” literally “with respect to Egypt,” got dropped from my last post, or else I should have just said xnt zj.k “your man will sail upstream.” Egyptian was an Afroasiatic tongue, in the same broad family as Hebrew, Arabic, Akkadian, Berber, Chadic, and Omo. These are languages of aspect, not tense.

Therefore, exact translation into English is often not feasible, as verbs in Egyptian are tenseless—they distinguish completed action from habitual action, or action which is still ongoing at the time of the speaker’s current frame of reference, but they do not mark when such action is supposed to take place, a matter the listener must infer, although certain forms are likely to be used regularly with past, present or future meaning.

This is called aspect. English has it, too, as in its present and past perfect, “has said,” “had said.” But tense takes priority over aspect in English. The perfect is a compound tense which uses an auxiliary verb, “has” or “had,” in contrast to simple past “he said.”

That’s the opposite of Egyptian, where aspect comes first and extra words are inserted to indicate tense if needed. Egyptian has no equivalents to the English verbs “to be” and “to have.” Existence, possession, or completion are all specified using different methods. For example,

Xnm-htp rn.f “Khnumhotep is his name,” an A B nominal sentence with just the two nouns, the name and the word rn “name.” The third-person masculine singular suffix pronoun expresses possession, i.e. rn.f “his name.” English requires that little verb, is, to make a nominal predicate, and possession of course is apostrophe ’s regardless of the owner’s gender and number.

And instead of saying “there are no snakes in it,” as translation forces us to do; it’s simply nn HfAww jm.f “no snakes therein it.” The suffix .f can also refer to inanimate objects, as it does here.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top