Anxiety is keeping me from learning how to drive.

I just turned 24 years old and I still do not know how to drive a car..which is pretty embarrassing to me.. when I turned of driving age my parents didn't bother teaching me to drive they always said I wasn't ready and couldn't handle it.. So I never really had the desire. One of my boyfriend's tried teaching me once and I almost drove his car into a ditch . He said that I was flailing my hands too much on the steering wheel. I have yet to try to drive again. Now I have my own family and my own car.. but I don't know how to drive so my husband drives me around.. he wants to teach me but I keep putting it off because I'm scared. What is the best way to overcome my anxiety of learning how to drive?

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You maybe can look up visualization techniques. Like you can visualize getting behind the wheel until that itself doesn't cause you anxiety, then work your way up to driving. And then maybe that would make it easier to do it for real. Just be patient with yourself and don't expect it to go away all at once.

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
I've had a few people try to teach me how to drive. They would either take me to a parking lot or somewhere out in the country so that a) I would be less likely to damage the vehicle and b) I would be less likely to get intimidated by other drivers. After you've become familiar with the basics in an area without traffic, you can gradually transition into areas with higher traffic.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
A couple of wonderful suggestions are already shared. Taking lessons from a professional and practicing somewhere where there is no traffic. Visualization is a great idea too. Just get in the car, sit behind the steering wheel and visualize driving. Take it a baby step at a time. No real need to rush. Avoid driving in traffic for while. Driving really is easy, especially if there is very little traffic.

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I didn’t learn to drive until I 35 so there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. For me, a professional instructor would be the way to go. They are used to dealing with people anxieties and because don’t ‘know’ them it’s easier to take instructions from them , but also they won’t gets as agitated when you make mistakes.

Go for it

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
Well I guess it's different here, I mean I can walk most places and it's not too bad. Although I get rides sometimes. Yes, I need to learn to drive too. haha

I wish there was country and back roads where I am.. there are canals and swamp land everywhere I live so thats my challenge. I will just have to find a parking lot when I get comfortable.
I've had a few people try to teach me how to drive. They would either take me to a parking lot or somewhere out in the country so that a) I would be less likely to damage the vehicle and b) I would be less likely to get intimidated by other drivers. After you've become familiar with the basics in an area without traffic, you can gradually transition into areas with higher traffic.

Thanks I'll start by watching driving videos and then sit in the car and mimic driving

A couple of wonderful suggestions are already shared. Taking lessons from a professional and practicing somewhere where there is no traffic. Visualization is a great idea too. Just get in the car, sit behind the steering wheel and visualize driving. Take it a baby step at a time. No real need to rush. Avoid driving in traffic for while. Driving really is easy, especially if there is very little traffic.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I just turned 24 years old and I still do not know how to drive a car..which is pretty embarrassing to me.. when I turned of driving age my parents didn't bother teaching me to drive they always said I wasn't ready and couldn't handle it.. So I never really had the desire. One of my boyfriend's tried teaching me once and I almost drove his car into a ditch . He said that I was flailing my hands too much on the steering wheel. I have yet to try to drive again. Now I have my own family and my own car.. but I don't know how to drive so my husband drives me around.. he wants to teach me but I keep putting it off because I'm scared. What is the best way to overcome my anxiety of learning how to drive?
Hey, I was 24 when I got my licence. I get severe anxiety and was really scared of driving. Well now I’ve been driving over 20 years. I’ve had one revhead (person obsessed with cars) say “I didn’t know chicks could drive like that” and a few others tell me my driving’s pretty good. Except for the time I rolled the car on the freeway doing 100kph, but we won’t talk about that ;)

It’s only nerve-wracking to start, then it becomes second nature.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00