Anxiety | What is Anxiety? | Signs of an Anxiety Attack

★ SF Staff

Administrator
Safety & Support
Hello everyone!

This thread provides information on anxiety, what it is, the signs and symptoms, how you can seek help and a list of links and resources which you may find beneficial in dealing with your anxiety. We also welcome you to discuss your experiences of anxiety with other members in this thread, give and receive support and post helpful hints and tips on how to deal with anxiety.

What Is Anxiety?

Anxiety can be described as feelings of worry, unease and fear that incorporates both physical and emotional sensations. We can feel anxious when we are faced with stressful situations, such as sitting an exam, going for a job interview, attending social gatherings, getting married etc. Everybody suffers from anxiety from time to time when faced with stressful situations or big life events, but tends to resolve fairly quickly, or when the situation or event has passed.

Anxiety can become problematic and affect your everyday life if you have suffered with it for a prolonged period of time. You may find that you are worrying all the time, worrying about parts of everyday life and routine, worry about things that may not even happen and even having the constant feeling that something terrible might happen. These thoughts can be accompanied by unpleasant physical sensations such as a racing heart, feeling dizzy, feeling sick, shaking and feeling like the world is closing in on you. It can stop you from carrying on with your normal routine such as leaving the house, answering the telephone, meeting up with friends, going shopping etc.

Signs and Symptoms

There are many different signs and symptoms of anxiety, and can be split into two domains, physical sensations and psychological sensations. Here are a list of the common signs and symptoms of anxiety:
-Feeling tense
-Feeling on edge
-Having a sense of dread
-Feeling like something terrible is going to happen
-Feeling restless
-Not being able to concentrate
-Replaying a situation over and over in your mind (rumination)
-Feeling paranoid of how others view you (mind reading)
-Racing thoughts

You may also experience these physical symptoms in conjunction with the psychological symptoms:
-Feeling sick
-Racing heart and palpitations
-Sweating
-Shaking or trembling
-Muscle tension
-Headaches
-Pins and needles
-Breathing faster
-High blood pressure
-Stomach churning
-Needing the toilet more frequently
-Not being able to sleep properly
-Dry mouth

Panic Attacks

Panic attacks are a byproduct of anxiety and are different from anxiety attacks. They are caused by a rapid build up of overwhelming physical sensations, such as:
-Chest pains
-Feeling sick
-Feeling unable to breathe
-Shaking and trembling
-Feeling like your legs are turning to jelly
-Sweating
-Racing heart and palpitations

People who have panic attacks often feel like they are losing control, are having a heart attack and can feel like they are going die. Most panic attacks last between 5-20 minutes and usually settle once the person has been removed from the environment they are in, or trigger. You may find that after the panic attack you have extremely high levels of anxiety, so self-care is extremely important.

Treatment

Anxiety is a very treatable illness that can be diagnosed by your GP, family doctor or psychiatrist. There are different types of anxiety disorders, so it is important to get a diagnosis from a doctor so you can get the optimum treatment for your disorder. Your doctor may want to undertake some blood tests, listen to your heartbeat and check your blood pressure to ensure that any physical illnesses are not responsible for your symptoms of anxiety. Your doctor may suggest that you need some therapy to deal with the underlying issues for your anxiety and is usually the preferred choice of treatment. Some doctors may want to start you on some anti-depressant medication, as they often also treat symptoms of anxiety and you may find that you will need a combination of both medication and therapy. In extreme cases where anxiety attacks are acute and debilitating, your doctor may prescribe you a short course of benzodiazepine medication. These are for short term use only as they are highly addictive.

Links and Resources

If you would like more information on anxiety, here are some useful links below:

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-...and-panic-attacks/about-anxiety/#.VVhwIOlFBMs

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/understanding-panic-attacks.aspx

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/anxiety

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.rethink.org/diagnosis-tr...orders/about?gclid=CJTL1YzMyMUCFYkBwwod8U4AIA

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/category/blog/anxiety

http://www.adaa.org/

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/anxiety-disorders

Self Help and Management

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/anxiety.asp

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/how-to-stop-worrying.htm

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/gad.htm

http://www.anxietybc.com/resources/selfhelp.php

http://bemindful.co.uk/

http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22&oTopID=22

If you have any other useful links and resources, then please feel free to share them in this thread and we can add them to this post!

Share Your Experiences!

Please use this thread to share your experiences of anxiety with other members. Sharing experiences and hints and tips are useful to other members, and be sure to post if are you are looking for support, help and advice.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Does anyone know if someone outside the UK (I am in ireland) can do the NHS anxiety courses, I would definitely go to the UK for that course but do not know the ins and outs of it.

Btw, great thread, thank you.

Brian777

Safety and Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I never knew that anxiety symptoms could be so dibilitating, until recently. I've had panic attacks for most of my life along with depression, but after losing a loved one "anxiety " has really been overwhelming. I'm on the verge of Agrophobia although so far I've managed to get out at least once a day for a short time. It gets very scary when you're on your own. I'm glad there's SF to come to for support.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
I never knew that anxiety symptoms could be so dibilitating, until recently. I've had panic attacks for most of my life along with depression, but after losing a loved one "anxiety " has really been overwhelming. I'm on the verge of Agrophobia although so far I've managed to get out at least once a day for a short time. It gets very scary when you're on your own. I'm glad there's SF to come to for support.
I am very sorry for your loss - and I completely understand about anxiety in the wake of a loss - it is horrible. Congratulations on managing to get out on your own. I think that the important thing is to not 'give in' to the fear too many times as it gets harder and harder. I am very glad you found us @Brian777 *hugs*

Brian777

Safety and Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Thank you for your kind words Freya. It's a battle to get out the door but I know as you said, I have to do it.
Brian

Struggling with anxiety on daily basis, it gets triggered by my OSD, and all around. Never ending circle....

Hi Ravengirl,

Hope you doing well. How is your anxiety? If it still remains, then you seriously need help. I think, It's better to consult an expert psychiatrist for better advice. This kind of anxiety may lead to serious mental issues. You don't need to worry about it, genetic influence is only partially responsible for causing depression, the major role plays by other external factors. So the cause of depression and anxiety can be controlled by proper counselling and medications. Right treatment and care at the right time can heal anything. You can try simple tricks and tips to get rid of this anxiety. Change your attitude and that will change your life and will make it even more beautiful. Here is an article which can help you to reduce your anxiety ( https://helixhealthcaregroup.com/blog/6-tips-to-reduce-anxiety/ ). Browse for similar blogs and motivational stories. It will help you. Don't forget to get advice from your doctor. All the best :)

DarthBrett

Lone warrior against his demons
I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder and your list was like a check list for me. I used to have it under control but now I feel like I've lost it. I've started councilling again and been told it's a process...I can't stand living like this....

Jack D

SF Supporter
It's not particularly glamourous when your partner and people around you seem to be very unhelpful during an attack and pretty much just seem to say "get over it". Funny seeing how my anxiety was first prominent upon meeting some people for the first time, and now I seemed to cut them off for more anxiety reasons

precious1

Struggling with anxiety on daily basis, it gets triggered by my OSD, and all around. Never ending circle....
I understand I struggle going out much my doctor tried to get me to go to psychotherapy which was ova 30mis from me I looked at him n said it took me a wk of panicking to get me to docs n now u want me to travel there wkly is he crazy

Anxiety is not just a small thing. There are 17 types of anxiety disorders.considering that nearly 18% of the population of the United States has had or has some form of anxiety disorder, we should probably take the time to learn more about anxiety.

My anxiety is taking over my day to day life. It only used to surface when I was in situations I wasn’t comfortable in but now it seems to be every day stuff ,things as simple as going into a shop and forgetting what I went in for or being unable to find what I’m looking for and whenever I am alone.
I’ve become very insecure in my relationship with my partner which is very unfair on her. The tension I feel in my chest and head is unbearable.

Anxiety and depression are not a small thing. It can affect your mental health. Anxiety is a mental pressure which communicates in stress, crabbiness, misgiving, or uneasiness. The mental pressure comes about either from a feeling of vulnerability about future or looming occasions or from a feeling of failure to control one's condition or situation. Uneasiness is a characteristic enthusiastic reaction of individuals trying to survive and live easily. Anxiety is a consistent indication of mankind's horrifying slightness and its utter impotence to master its own destiny.<mod edit -guidelines>

Last edited by a moderator:

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've finally decided (woken up to?) that anxiety may just be describing some of what's going on in my world.

What's making me realise that is just the physical signs - physiological symptoms I think they're called (thanks for that @sinking_ship @Walker ). I actually was telling someone today what 'on edge' looks like in my body, I only really put the 2 together coz' of the guy I saw who was telling me what on edge looks like, and she told me she has medication for whenever it gets like that for her (can't breathe, pit in stomach, something between stomach and heart can't name, nausea, most times sweating too but not always). I was like, oh, it's like that at least half my day. This isn't to do with the shaking. I mean when my body is shaking uncontrollably. That's whenever I let it. Always, always on edge, even if I can't feel it in my body.
So I think the awareness is coz' I'm more aware of myself, coz' I'm more tuned into my body - which I never used to be.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. I don't really know what I want. Just to put it down? To do something about it? To know what I'm thinking about?

I think what also ties into this is what I wrote about my job (well I wrote it somewhere). People overwhelm me, always have, depends on what's going on how long I can be with people without freaking out. So I was journaling about kids who were in my house and how after a few minutes it was too much, was constantly going to my room to breathe and be okay. (always do, even if it's my nieces and nephews, which they weren't). I was wondering how come it doesn't happen at work that it's too much. Then I realised it does. I often freak out at work. In the morning my student can't stand it when I'm shaking away (the noise my shoe makes bothers her). In the afternoons, it depends. When I've breaks between every group I'm more okay when I don't I'm not. I often give them stuff to do whilst I take a breather. I just wasn't aware of it until now (six years along the line). So, I don't know.

Like at the moment I feel like I can't breathe (the constriction). And my muscles are frozen. Coz' if I'd let myself I'd be shaking away. However much I'm letting myself shake more nowadays I mostly only let it when I'm at work with C in the morning or if I'm in bed.

I'm not sure if putting this down helps. Or makes it more real. Or maybe I'm acknowledging something I don't really understand and want to make sense of.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I've finally decided (woken up to?) that anxiety may just be describing some of what's going on in my world.

What's making me realise that is just the physical signs - physiological symptoms I think they're called (thanks for that @sinking_ship @Walker ). I actually was telling someone today what 'on edge' looks like in my body, I only really put the 2 together coz' of the guy I saw who was telling me what on edge looks like, and she told me she has medication for whenever it gets like that for her (can't breathe, pit in stomach, something between stomach and heart can't name, nausea, most times sweating too but not always). I was like, oh, it's like that at least half my day. This isn't to do with the shaking. I mean when my body is shaking uncontrollably. That's whenever I let it. Always, always on edge, even if I can't feel it in my body.
So I think the awareness is coz' I'm more aware of myself, coz' I'm more tuned into my body - which I never used to be.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. I don't really know what I want. Just to put it down? To do something about it? To know what I'm thinking about?

I think what also ties into this is what I wrote about my job (well I wrote it somewhere). People overwhelm me, always have, depends on what's going on how long I can be with people without freaking out. So I was journaling about kids who were in my house and how after a few minutes it was too much, was constantly going to my room to breathe and be okay. (always do, even if it's my nieces and nephews, which they weren't). I was wondering how come it doesn't happen at work that it's too much. Then I realised it does. I often freak out at work. In the morning my student can't stand it when I'm shaking away (the noise my shoe makes bothers her). In the afternoons, it depends. When I've breaks between every group I'm more okay when I don't I'm not. I often give them stuff to do whilst I take a breather. I just wasn't aware of it until now (six years along the line). So, I don't know.

Like at the moment I feel like I can't breathe (the constriction). And my muscles are frozen. Coz' if I'd let myself I'd be shaking away. However much I'm letting myself shake more nowadays I mostly only let it when I'm at work with C in the morning or if I'm in bed.

I'm not sure if putting this down helps. Or makes it more real. Or maybe I'm acknowledging something I don't really understand and want to make sense of.
Anxiety is the brain's way of telling us, "This is dangerous. You're not safe right now." Problem is, sometimes it happens when there's no actual physical harm coming your way. That part of the brain can't distinguish between actual danger and perceived danger. The part that can or at least "should" is the prefrontal cortex. But when you're so used to thinking that certain things are dangerous when they're really not, then both parts of the brain work in unison against you. It's fucked up and cruel as hell when you think about it.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Anxiety is the brain's way of telling us, "This is dangerous. You're not safe right now." Problem is, sometimes it happens when there's no actual physical harm coming your way. That part of the brain can't distinguish between actual danger and perceived danger. The part that can or at least "should" is the prefrontal cortex. But when you're so used to thinking that certain things are dangerous when they're really not, then both parts of the brain work in unison against you. It's fucked up and cruel as hell when you think about it.
*hysterical The 'you're not safe right now' um, that's always. Which I guess explains the physiological response (I like that word for it doesn't say anything about me, makes it external kinda).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00