Can Chocolate Cause Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmoday

Hi everyone. Here's a bit info about myself. I'm a 24 years old male. I'm not officially diagnosed but I know I have Asperger's Syndrome. I always had depression on and off for a long time. I used to eat a few chocolates everyday. I haven't eaten any for like 10 days and I didn't feel depressed since then. I know chocolate helps the brain to produce seratonin, I guess that's why I ate chocolate too much but that's only temporary. Is there a chance that it increases seratonin for a short time but causes depression afterwards? It may just be a coincidence that I'm feeling good(I'm not happy but at least I'm not depressed) but I just wanted to ask to be sure.

BlackPegasus

I actually saw a report somewhere the other day that claimed chocolate may contribute to depression. Sugary foods do tend to make me depressed. Have you had your blood checked for glucose levels. Some diebetics might become depressed by eating sugar as well.

Mia

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
Chocolate inducing depression? Huh, never heard of that before. I had expected the opposite. :mellow:

BlackPegasus

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1603927.htm

Chocolate may deepen depression

By ABC Science Online Alex Wilde

Chocoholics can happily eat chocolate for pleasure but for those who are stressed and clinically depressed, the high is short-lived and chocolate may even deepen the downer, a review shows.

The findings, which will be published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, fly in the face of the myth that chocolate is an antidepressant.

The analysis, which is the most comprehensive literature review on how chocolate affects mood, shows that the motivation behind eating chocolate determines which neurotransmitters are activated, and hence your mood.

The review's Australian authors, from the Black Dog Institute at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sydney, identified two groups of chocolate eaters based on motivation.

They are cravers, who eat chocolate as an indulgent pleasure, and emotional eaters, who use chocolate in a bid to alleviate depression.

Professor Gordon Parker, the executive director of the Black Dog Institute and lead author, says cravers see chocolate like a good glass of wine, and anticipating and eating the treat releases 'feel good' neurotransmitters.

"Chocolate craving as an indulgent pleasure seems to stimulate the dopamine system in the brain, and provides an enjoyable experience," he said.

"But the emotional eaters, people who eat chocolate to relieve boredom, stress or clinical depression, are looking for an opioid effect to improve their mood."

He says for them, at best chocolate only provides temporary relief.

But this is quickly followed by a return to or a worsening of their earlier negative state.
Opiate effect

Consuming sweet foods is thought to release the neurotransmitter beta-endorphin in the hypothalamus, which is said to have an opiate effect on the body.

But why the chocolate high is so transient and insufficient to sustain mood in those who eat it for emotional reasons remains unknown.

The theory that chocolate acts as an antidepressant comes from the common belief that a serotonin deficiency causes chocolate cravings, but the review has found no support for this hypothesis.

"It is true that chocolate acts on the same neurological system as serotonin," Professor Parker said.

"But you'd have to eat a truck load of chocolate before you have had the equivalent of one antidepressant tablet.

"Our review rejects any possibility that chocolate desired as a way of relieving stress or when feeling down has any antidepressant benefit."

The reveiw says stimulants such as caffeine, theobromine, tyramine and phenylethylamine, are also present in concentrations too low to have any significant psychoactive effect.

For more information about depression, including fact sheets, support and referrals, see the beyondblue website.

BlackPegasus

einna said:
i don't even like sugar.

what's wrong with me
Well if you are like me I won't blame you. I mean I like sweets and all but not like everybody else. I didn't grow up with a lot of sweets becasue we were poor so that helped plus sweets bring me down so low. So yeah i don't like feeling that way so i avoid anything that has processed wheat and/or sugar in it.

Mia

B

butterfly

Wow this topic is really informative, I am going to try to lay off the chocolate.
Which will be hard because it is my treat for surviving the day :unsure:
But thanks for all the info and for starting this thread Asmoday:)
love,
BF

You can get sugar free chocolate with Splenda instead which is made from sugar and when you mix it in thing you can't really ell the difference. Chocolate has always made me feel better, well since I was in my teens, didn't like chocolate as a kid....yeah crazy isn't it?.... I like the russell stovers sugar free turtle chocolates... :drool:

Just my opinion and blathery bull...lol

~Carolyn~

joeysephine

I proper didnt know that, my friend one told me that she said in a magazine people eat chocolate to be happy because it releases a happy hormone of some kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00