Can you beat depression without professional help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder this... my depression was really bad. I couldn't stay awake for more than 9 hours per day, i couldn't eat, i was sad, wanted to end all this... broken and crying. But i didn't want to go to the doctor... ever.
It all went better, because i meet one guy... now he broke up with me. And i'm pretty bad, again... i blame myself.
But not so bad that i was... i want to live, i want to get rid of this... i want to be happy like i was before all this drama started. I have had self confidence, was optimistic, social... i want to be like that again. I miss those times. I want to mend my broken heart and live again... i can hardly remember those times, specially on bad days my whole life seems misery. But i know that i was happy! I want it back.

But i don't want professional help!! I wonder... could i get rid of this shitty depression without it? And how? If ever... does it ever get better? :(
:sigh:

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
It depends if your depression is chemical unbalance or not If it is then medication is all that is needed to beat the depression IF it is emotional trauma then yes some kind of professional help is needed I too tried to beat it on my own hell i just couldn't do it With help you can beat it Lots of people have psychologist to help them with everyday living get one that deals with depression and get feeling better okay

Speedy

Staff Alumni
Some people (although it's not advisable by some) try self-help books and techniques within those books, and that can help them. However, like total eclipse mentioned, many believe that chemical imbalances in the brain can lead to depression, etc., and if that is true (I'm not here to judge) then self-help isn't enough by itself.

I've been told by professionals that counseling and meds going hand-in-hand is the best combo possible, but it really depends on each individual.

Hope anything I said was helpful. ;) I really don't have an answer for the question, so I just typed what was on my mind. :hugtackles:

NiceGuYKC

You should get help. Absolutely.

I've been suffering with depression for about 15 years and lately intense suicidal thoughts. I've never taken meds or had professional help.
I probably never will, because I'm a stubborn ass. It seems to have helped loads of people here, so you should try it.

twofeet

I don't know? Artists/writers in the past have used art to "get over it." On the other hand, historically, self-help failed a lot of people. I think we've got the technology now to keep people functioning and alive and whole and giving, even when they get shingles or cancer--or depression. If you can possibly find a way, find a doctor or clinic that can at least get you back on the road. You might be pleased with the insight you gain.

peacelovingguy

Yes.

Depends on your issues in some ways though.

I never took meds until 30 years had passed. Made me far worse personally.

As for counselling - I'm pretty sure I'd just sit there - especially if they expected me to break down or something. It would be a long wait. I think they would go before me.

Anger management? That's when you don't hit people? I'm already at that stage. I manage my anger. Nobody gets hurt - unless they really insist. I avoid such people.

Anyhow - its not ideal - but I cope.

Yes I study some of the sciences connected to depression also.

Regards.

roscho

Like others have stated - is the depression chemical based imbalance, or is it situational.

Mine is situational, and after 14+ years of trying to fix things from inside of the situation, I'm removing myself from the situation.

I'm not sure how it will go, I'm certainly a bit afraid. I sense though that I will get much of the "old me" back. Moving day is Friday.

I belive mine is situational too... i belive i got it because some bad events that happend to me and bullying from certain people that hate me for ''no reason'' (or because i really am a pathetic, ugly loser)... before that i used to be kinda happy. But i also have it in my family... i don't know. I just want to beat it on my own... i will try. And if it won't get better i may go to the doctor :sad: ... but i really don't want to. I'm too scared.

roscho

hypothermia,

I don't know if this will work for anybody else, but what I have been working on that seems to help me is building success in to my daily schedule. I most often do this with list making, but part of it is just being more honest with myself. Because of past events in my life, sometimes I set my own goals to an unattainable level. Then I'm faced with failure. Then I hate my stupid self. So next time I set the bar even higher. I fail again. I'm a loser again. Lately, part of separating myself from my bad situation, has been to not set the bar so damn high. Getting through the day with good, positive thoughts is the goal at the moment, so my individual goals shouldn't be to out of line with that. Sorry, I rambled I think.

roscho, i know how you feel... i did this too, setting to high gols for myself, failed, feelt like a loser. I just need to learn to be realistic and not so harsh to myself =/

roscho

Yes - you get it. Much of our pressure is from within - or from our immediate circle.

I'm finally jumping off and pulling myself out of the immediate circle, so that I can dial down my own pressure to a bearable level, one where I can attain success again.

We have structures that help us, and structures that hurt us. We have to find ways out of the structures that hurt us. Sometimes that isn't very easy. For me, I had to wait until my daughter was grown. She is only 16, but she is grown enough - and I'm in such a bad place that I need to go and build me again. If she needs me, I'll be able to help her. I'm no good to her now, and no good to me now. I have to go get healthy, then I can carry her again as I did the first 15 years.

Her Mom isn't evil, she is toxic, but doesn't understand that she is. Our daughter has better tools than I do. Our daughter can tell her to take a leap and it works out ok - my soon to be ex seems to realize all she has in life is the daughter, so she usually comes around for her. She never did for me, so I need to go be the success that I was when she met me, and maybe I'll meet another woman who can appreciate me for me.

Again I rambled... I've a lot of nervous excitement for Friday.

It's okay and good to let your feelings out. I know you will get better, and i belive that you are a wonderful father. Keep on fighting and do what makes you happy =)

Anneinside

Most people are more worried about starting meds than anything else. I would suggest you start by seeing a therapist. Then when you are comfortable with that you might want meds IF the depression hasn't resolved with therapy alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00