• Against

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • It depends/unsure

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confusticated

Oh no, wow. That's totally not what I meant. I should have put everything down instead of assuming people would understand. I don't think people should be killed at all. No one has that right. Remorse, I meant as a way of helping, deterrence. If they understand what they have done, as part of the help sceme or whatever they're under, they could be shown compassion too. I didn't mean to like dump them in a cell to rot while feeling dead in themselves. That's rather sickening.

Rayne

I have to say there are a large numbers of criminals who are never going to feel any remorse and do not believe they have done anything wrong.
What do we do about them?
Interesting point. But I think they'd fall under the catagory that I mentioned earlier - whom we should help, regardless of the fact that they won't be fit for release. People with such mental scars inflicted upon them so that they can't feel remorse will likely be unable to feel joy either. So, help them. Allow them to deal with the demons of their past. Even if they can't lead a "normal" and free life, that doesn't mean they can't lead a happy one. No-one deserves to suffer for so long.

Rayne

Oh no, wow. That's totally not what I meant. I should have put everything down instead of assuming people would understand. I don't think people should be killed at all. No one has that right. Remorse, I meant as a way of helping, deterrence. If they understand what they have done, as part of the help sceme or whatever they're under, they could be shown compassion too. I didn't mean to like dump them in a cell to rot while feeling dead in themselves. That's rather sickening.
"They'd never have to. If they're put into a high security prison, they have nothing to do but think. Then they'll get the pain they deserve."

So tell me, what did you mean by this, then?

Interesting point. But I think they'd fall under the catagory that I mentioned earlier - whom we should help, regardless of the fact that they won't be fit for release. People with such mental scars inflicted upon them so that they can't feel remorse will likely be unable to feel joy either. So, help them. Allow them to deal with the demons of their past. Even if they can't lead a "normal" and free life, that doesn't mean they can't lead a happy one. No-one deserves to suffer for so long.
Okay but that would assume that they even had any demons.
I once saw this question asked on The Wright Stuff.

Are people born evil or does it just develop? Because that's the question that is being asked now.

Did people develop into criminals due to emotional scarring? I'm sure that isn't true of everybody.

Rayne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnepropetrovsk_maniacs

In case anyone was unfamiliar with the story (it's horrific do not read while eating and DEFINITELY don't search for the video!)
"On February 11, 2009, the court in Dnepropetrovsk found Igor Suprunyuck and Viktor Sayenko guilty of premeditated murder and sentenced both to life imprisonment."

And what good has simply throwing them in prison done them?
Using that time while they were isolated to try and help them couldn't have harmed, surely?

Xaos

I don't support capital punishment anymore because I believe that a cold blooded murderer, with no just cause (self defence for example, which would likely be classed as manslaughter anyway, and not murder, depending) deserves to be punished, and killing the criminal could be an easy way out.

Prisons should have isolation cells, no pool tables, no TVs, or entertainment, they should have facilities to learn something useful for when they get out, and they certainly shouldn't get paid anything meaningful if they work in prison, they should have enough money when they get out so that if they havent got any housing, they could afford to rent a place for a few months, which would give them some time to find a job.

I'd support corporal punishment aswell, like lashings for extra punishment, many of you might disagree with me and claim that "they have human rights too" -well they should have thought about that before they commited their atrocity. Abuse as a child is no good reason to take it out on someone who has done nothing wrong against you, the person should seek help when the incident happens, not take it out on some unsuspecting victim, theres a name for that sort of thing, its called scapegoating. People who have a serious mental deficiancy should be treated differently though.

Rayne

Okay but that would assume that they even had any demons.
I once saw this question asked on The Wright Stuff.

Are people born evil or does it just develop? Because that's the question that is being asked now.

Did people develop into criminals due to emotional scarring? I'm sure that isn't true of everybody.
Oh dear. We probably shouldn't get started on the good and evil debate. Both terms are different from person to person. For example, those boys won't have considered what they did evil.. or they wouldn't have done it.

Rayne

I don't support capital punishment anymore because I believe that a cold blooded murderer, with no just cause (self defence for example, which would likely be classed as manslaughter anyway, and not murder, depending) deserves to be punished, and killing the criminal could be an easy way out.

Prisons should have isolation cells, no pool tables, no TVs, or entertainment, they should have facilities to learn something useful for when they get out, and they certainly shouldn't get paid anything meaningful if they work in prison, they should have enough money when they get out so that if they havent got any housing, they could afford to rent a place for a few months, which would give them some time to find a job.

I'd support corporal punishment aswell, like lashings for extra punishment, many of you might disagree with me and claim that "they have human rights too" -well they should have thought about that before they commited their atrocity. Abuse as a child is no good reason to take it out on someone who has done nothing wrong against you, the person should seek help when the incident happens, not take it out on some unsuspecting victim, theres a name for that sort of thing, its called scapegoating. People who have a serious mental deficiancy should be treated differently though.
What about those who are wrongly convicted?

Confusticated

"They'd never have to. If they're put into a high security prison, they have nothing to do but think. Then they'll get the pain they deserve."

So tell me, what did you mean by this, then?
I can't think of a way that I wrote that but it meaning what I'm on about. I have no idea why I wrote it like that. Unless I meant help instead of pain, but I don't think I did. Hm.. I'm not sure how that explains what I meant at all honestly. I meant though that once they're in a securitised prison, they'd have nothing to do but feel the remorse. After they've had that, which I believe they'd have to feel on some level, they'd be able to be helped. Otherwise, again, I don't see how you can help someone who does not understand what it is they're being helped with.

Xaos

I think we would ALL assume, anyone who does something of this (above story) magnitude would have a serious mental deficiency though, right?
I mean the types that when you look at them, you know they are "special" -I don't know the names for various disorders which are obviously recognisable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Confusticated

I know what I said before but I definately didn't mean that. No one deserves to be killed, just as no one deserves to be tortured. I actually have no idea what was going through my mind haha..

Rayne

I can't think of a way that I wrote that but it meaning what I'm on about. I have no idea why I wrote it like that. Unless I meant help instead of pain, but I don't think I did. Hm.. I'm not sure how that explains what I meant at all honestly. I meant though that once they're in a securitised prison, they'd have nothing to do but feel the remorse. After they've had that, which I believe they'd have to feel on some level, they'd be able to be helped. Otherwise, again, I don't see how you can help someone who does not understand what it is they're being helped with.
Just leaving people alone in a prison cell won't make them feel remorse. The problems are too deeply rooted for that.

Confusticated

Just leaving people alone in a prison cell won't make them feel remorse. The problems are too deeply rooted for that.
I understand. I think I'm pulling out of the thread for a while. What I said at the beginning is rather sickening. No one deserves it. People I believe should be shown some sort of remorse so they can understand what they have done, and then be helped. If it's not possible, then help them in every way we can. But never should someone be forced to feel it just for the purpose of pain.

Xaos

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/ronhuff.htm

Edit: Actually, thats beside the point. Even if only one person is wrongly convicted per year, thats still one person thats been subjected to cruel punishment when they shouldn't have been.
"0.5 percent"

I'll change what I said earlier about lashings though, I'd support it for those caught with DNA evidence, that way, those wrongly convicted, only get the basic punishment, which is obviously wrong, but its no physical pain at least. I have sympathy for them, but letting all the others off because of some innocent people doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00