• Do You Use The SF App? - If you do, even just for notifications, please can you like the post in forum news / announcements? Ty :) (Just collecting numbers)

chronic pain and suicide

1964dodge

when you help others you help yourself
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
You know, I think that doctors and officials are treating the issue the wrong way. Instead of harming those who actually need opioids, they should have stopped prescribing them to new patients and let the former ones keep their meds.
as a patient that suffers from pain I believe even new patients need opioids because it's the only thing that works. but like my doctor did before this cdc shit steps should be taken. 1. doctors need to try a long variety of non opioid meds to try to reduce pain, except for extreme circumstances. 2. keep track of pharmacys for doube prescriptions from other doctors. 3. drug testing looking for abuse. I agree there should be safeguards to protect people but don't treat legitimate pain patients as drug seeking scum. the biggest problem was like on a special I saw about pain clinics in florida you said something hurt you, got narcotics which a lot of people sold them in the parking lot it was a pill factory you pay a large fee talk to a doctor for 5 minuetes and get drugs

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
as a patient that suffers from pain I believe even new patients need opioids because it's the only thing that works. but like my doctor did before this cdc shit steps should be taken. 1. doctors need to try a long variety of non opioid meds to try to reduce pain, except for extreme circumstances. 2. keep track of pharmacys for doube prescriptions from other doctors. 3. drug testing looking for abuse. I agree there should be safeguards to protect people but don't treat legitimate pain patients as drug seeking scum. the biggest problem was like on a special I saw about pain clinics in florida you said something hurt you, got narcotics which a lot of people sold them in the parking lot it was a pill factory you pay a large fee talk to a doctor for 5 minuetes and get drugs
You're right, there needs to be safegaurds, but they are taking it too far. Sometimes I wish that someone with sense who actually had these certain diseases controlled the protocols in various countries. I think there would be a lot more understanding.

extraterrestrialone

Assembled words vs disjointed thought
SF Supporter
does any one else have to fight suicide due to chronic pain/illness I have severe chronic pain in my legs which was under control until my meds were reduced because of cdc guidelines my doctor is trying non opioid meds to make up the difference but not much luck yet I live in 5 or 6 range and I can spike up to 10 on the 10 scale for 1 to 3 hours until breakthrough meds kick in so 2 or 3 times a week I have to fight those thoughts while the pain spikes I have won so far. I also have bad copd 49% lung capacity i'm on oxygen and an avap at night (passive ventilator) plus lower back pain. my doctor is pushing me to see a therapist because i'm in crises according to him. I don't want sympathy I just wonder if other people suffer and how they cope and don't ctb
My legs hurt all the time. When I sit for 15 min I have to get up and walk to loosen them up but walking hurts another way. This is partly a result of self harm. hijacker is active and cruel and wears me out. When I get home I fall asleep pretty quickly about 9:30. But when I sleep my whole body and especially my legs stiffen up. I often get horrible cramps in my feet and legs. I normally wake every 2 hours. How do I cope? IDK. I sometimes manage until it starts getting to me again like lately. Then I start filling up with the bad feelings and thoughts. Hoping my therapist tonight when I see her has a good plan. Need one badly. Sorry. Not much help. Coping is not a strength I often have. Maybe just saying funny things in the cafe or your bar helps a little.

Last edited:

1964dodge

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
My legs hurt all the time. When I sit for 15 min I have to get up and walk to loosen them up but walking hurts another way. This is partly a result of self harm. hijacker is active and cruel and wears me out. When I get home I fall asleep pretty quickly about 9:30. But when I sleep my whole body and especially my legs stiffen up. I often get horrible cramps in my feet and legs. I normally wake every 2 hours. How do I cope? IDK. I sometimes manage until it starts getting to me again like lately. Then I start filling up with the bad feelings and thoughts. Hoping my therapist tonight when I see her has a good plan. Need one badly. Sorry. Not much help. Coping is not a strength I often have. Maybe just saying funny things in the cafe or your bar helps a little.
actually you are coping well I understand even broken or no sleep, how do you keep going? you keep fighting keep winning the battles and the war will win itself. remember you never have to fight alone we will be by your side and won't let you fall

SillyOldBear

So very tired of everything.
Staff Alumni
These opioid abusers are really sticking it to those who really need the meds. It happens all the time. Someone abuses the system and those that use it correctly get burned. I am fed up with. It will be almost impossible to get opioids legally now. People will wind up buying it on the streets and that will only do more harm. When a person cannot function because of pain they should not be deprived of the medicine that will ease the pain. Yes, usage should be monitored, but not stopped.

The same thing is happening because of all the mass shootings around the USA. People are being deprived of the means to defend themselves in their own homes. I can't go into any more detail without fear of violating SF rules.

1964dodge

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
These opioid abusers are really sticking it to those who really need the meds. It happens all the time. Someone abuses the system and those that use it correctly get burned. I am fed up with. It will be almost impossible to get opioids legally now. People will wind up buying it on the streets and that will only do more harm. When a person cannot function because of pain they should not be deprived of the medicine that will ease the pain. Yes, usage should be monitored, but not stopped.

The same thing is happening because of all the mass shootings around the USA. People are being deprived of the means to defend themselves in their own homes. I can't go into any more detail without fear of violating SF rules.
the worst part of this whole mess is that the cdc lied about the facts and after all the policies were made they admitted it. they admitted the way they tallied the overdoses was in error too late now damage to pain patients is done

I have chronic pain. For years I took opioids but they just weren't helping as much; for me personally they seemed to make me more in pain when I wasn't using them. Then I had a seizure--one of the big bad kinds where you shake all around. Now that I'm on seizure medication, my pain has lessened dramatically. Nothing has worked better than carbamazepine, including getting steroid shots in my knees. Anyway just a thought in case your doctor ever mentions seizure meds: they really do work. I'm pretty glad I have seizures.... haha.

crazyk

SF Supporter
does any one else have to fight suicide due to chronic pain/illness

I have severe chronic pain in my legs which was under control until my meds were reduced because of cdc guidelines my doctor is trying non opioid meds to make up the difference but not much luck yet I live in 5 or 6 range and I can spike up to 10 on the 10 scale for 1 to 3 hours until breakthrough meds kick in so 2 or 3 times a week I have to fight those thoughts while the pain spikes I have won so far. I also have bad copd 49% lung capacity i'm on oxygen and an avap at night (passive ventilator) plus lower back pain. my doctor is pushing me to see a therapist because i'm in crises according to him. I don't want sympathy I just wonder if other people suffer and how they cope and don't ctb
I have lived with constant chronic pain for about 18 years. I have ankylosing spondylitis which is an autoimmune inflammatory arthritis thing. It affects my back, shoulders, hips and feet. I also have severe asthma that borders on copd. Most times I cope ok. When it flares up I sometimes start having suicidal thoughts. Especially if the flare up lasts a long time. I have a lot of frustration with myself because I could do more with lifestyle changes that would help but I don’t do them. I don’t take opioids. My insurance won’t cover the meds that might help. The meds they cover don’t help. I try not to dwell on it. The biggest coping skill I use is keeping my muscles as relaxed as possible. Pain causes tension but that makes pain worse. I can easily get depressed because I can’t do a lot of things I enjoy. I’m young but I feel old.
I totally get it Dodge, I’m here if you ever want to talk *hug

crazyk

SF Supporter
I feel you here. I don't necessarily get that tick of the box that makes me feel suicidal right now but I do get "hopeless" about the future in regards to pain management. I've got chronic pain but I'm managing it alright. I know that what I have is progressive so my issue is "what will it be like in xx years?" and that freaks me out some days. When pain is already at a level where you can't sit, stand, lie down or walk that day for more than a couple minutes at a time before changing positions then what does the future hold? But .... new things do keep coming and there is always something I haven't tried yet. There is another procedure, another medication, another alternative therapy, another process that I haven't been through and that's what I try to hold on to. I just grit my teeth, load up on meds for the day and really really hope that the next day will be better.
I’m afraid of my future too because of my pain. I can’t imagine. I like your attitude about new treatments keep coming. It gave me a little sense of hope

1964dodge

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
I have lived with constant chronic pain for about 18 years. I have ankylosing spondylitis which is an autoimmune inflammatory arthritis thing. It affects my back, shoulders, hips and feet. I also have severe asthma that borders on copd. Most times I cope ok. When it flares up I sometimes start having suicidal thoughts. Especially if the flare up lasts a long time. I have a lot of frustration with myself because I could do more with lifestyle changes that would help but I don’t do them. I don’t take opioids. My insurance won’t cover the meds that might help. The meds they cover don’t help. I try not to dwell on it. The biggest coping skill I use is keeping my muscles as relaxed as possible. Pain causes tension but that makes pain worse. I can easily get depressed because I can’t do a lot of things I enjoy. I’m young but I feel old.
I totally get it Dodge, I’m here if you ever want to talk *hug
thank you i'm sorry you're suffering so much but it's nice that somebody else gets it. since my last post my doctor increased my meds some and it's helping a little. if your doctor will prescribe opioids there are cheap ones that are affordable like my morphine sulphate and hydro-morphone they are relatively inexpensive here you can check where you are. and I hope your suffering gets better I understand

Organicmaplesyurp

Some Chargie
SF Supporter
I have chronic pain. For years I took opioids but they just weren't helping as much; for me personally they seemed to make me more in pain when I wasn't using them. Then I had a seizure--one of the big bad kinds where you shake all around. Now that I'm on seizure medication, my pain has lessened dramatically. Nothing has worked better than carbamazepine, including getting steroid shots in my knees. Anyway just a thought in case your doctor ever mentions seizure meds: they really do work. I'm pretty glad I have seizures.... haha.
That's awesome. Sorry that you had to find out that way, but I'm glad you were able to get help.

Nick

~~~^~~~
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
@1964dodge I don't talk about my chronic illness here much. I've got an autoimmune disease that wreaks havoc on my body. Complications and pain become a part of life. Due to my addiction issues narcotics are out. Yeah, I'm admitting that I'm one of the people that makes it difficult for others to get pain meds. I didn't abuse the system, but still. Anyway the illness is kicking up again and it makes life a bit miserable. Exhausted, but wide awake. I understand the depression and the feelings that go along with that. I've got a lot of other things going on, but it certainly plays a part. Going to therapy isn't a bad thing, but it is a personal decision. I hope that you are able to find ways to cope, especially on the bad days.

1964dodge

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
@Kalicka i'm sorry you can't get opioids but do they do anything for your pain? my doctor put me on duloxetine an antidepressant that also helps with pain to make up the lowered opioids. they aren't a miracle but it helps a little. I thank you for caring but I hope you get more relief from pain because pain directly causes depression and the results tired not caring etc., I hope you hold on I know it's hard

MarvelFan

Vanity of Vanities
does any one else have to fight suicide due to chronic pain/illness

I have severe chronic pain in my legs which was under control until my meds were reduced because of cdc guidelines my doctor is trying non opioid meds to make up the difference but not much luck yet I live in 5 or 6 range and I can spike up to 10 on the 10 scale for 1 to 3 hours until breakthrough meds kick in so 2 or 3 times a week I have to fight those thoughts while the pain spikes I have won so far. I also have bad copd 49% lung capacity i'm on oxygen and an avap at night (passive ventilator) plus lower back pain. my doctor is pushing me to see a therapist because i'm in crises according to him. I don't want sympathy I just wonder if other people suffer and how they cope and don't ctb
My dad has been on a CPAP mask for years and has lots of lung problems and is on his oxygen machine most of the day, As far as chronic pain he has that as well because of needing a hip replacement with bolts in his shattered hip. He is going to have to go to pain management I think because 10 vicodin a month is not going to work out for him.

1964dodge

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
@MarvelFan I feel sorry for him and 10 Vicodin a month is a joke, he obviously should get more, I hope he gets what he needs. I think it's a terrible thing that they have these meds to help us and the cdc ruined it and makes true pain patients suffer or beg for meds. I hope he feels better soon i'm now on oxygen only at night or walking so it is getting better for me I hope it gets better for him. your friend mike

Hi all, I wish I didn't have to say this, but I can relate to this too. I've lived with chronic pain for over 10 years due to two failed back surgeries. This brought on fibromyalgia, which is so bad that some days it's like my SKIN itself hurts.
My strategy is to try to ignore it (i.e., suffer the pain), because the last time we had health insurance, it was as expensive as our mortgage, so we had to drop it. But it is very hard to tell myself to keep surviving, every day.

Thank you, Mike. I know already from reading your posts on this website that you are a very compassionate person.
To answer your question, no, I ran out of Rx meds three years ago when we had to cancel the overly expensive insurance. I suffer through by using OTC pain relievers, supplemented with my heating pad and wasting hours a daye sitting and waiting for the pain to go away.
You are very kind.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$255.00