Diabetes

gypsylee

SF Supporter
It's hard :( I had pre diabetes symptoms last year and had to totally change my diet, I keep carbs low now and try to eat plenty green veg, fish and olive oil. Apparently if you can get you body fat burning instead of sugar burning it will be a lot better, but its hard.
You people are so good o_O No wonder my GP calls me “recalcitrant” haha. Food has never been that big a deal to me (I eat too little if anything) so low carb isn’t too hard. I do have a sweet tooth though (hence marshmallows last night).

The “keto” diet actually mimics (type 1) diabetes. You basically go into a state where the body burns fat stores.

One thing I found out is replacing ordinary starch with resistant starch. The body treats resistant starch like fibre so it doesn't add to the carb count. Apparently if you cool and reheat starchy foods like rice and pasta, you turn some of the starch to the resistant kind, and more so each time you cool and reheat. Works if you freeze stuff too - bread, mashed potatoes etc. Cornflakes are best cereal coz corn has more resistant starch.
I’ve seen a show about that and you’re right. Cooling and reheating changes the molecular structure or something. I never thought of that with regard to diabetes though.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
My uncle has diabetes, so did my grandpa and a few other members of my family. My mom is pre-diabetic so I'm trying to get her into a healthier lifestyle (as well as not drinking), and doing the same for myself. I haven't had any signs of it yet, so hopefully I will be able to avoid it.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
Isn't alcohol a big no-no for diabetics? I seem to recall reading that somewhere but can't remember the reason.
Alcohol is the reason I’ve got it o_O Well, nobody knows exactly because my thyroid was playing up before the pancreatitis and that’s another part of the endocrine system. Also, my uncle is type 1, so there might be some genetic thing. But alcohol definitely contributed to it. I don’t drink at all now. I think it’s ok to have a few drinks now and then, but best not to because it affects the pancreas and you want to be as nice to that thing as possible, trust me :confused:

My uncle has diabetes, so did my grandpa and a few other members of my family. My mom is pre-diabetic so I'm trying to get her into a healthier lifestyle (as well as not drinking), and doing the same for myself. I haven't had any signs of it yet, so hopefully I will be able to avoid it.
I wonder why it’s so common. In Australia we have this National Diabetes Services Scheme where the government heavily subsidises all the supplies, so needles are free and the test strips are only like $1 for 200. So I’m kind of glad it is common. Mind you, that endocrinologist wasn’t cheap to see.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Alcohol is the reason I’ve got it o_O Well, nobody knows exactly because my thyroid was playing up before the pancreatitis and that’s another part of the endocrine system. Also, my uncle is type 1, so there might be some genetic thing. But alcohol definitely contributed to it. I don’t drink at all now. I think it’s ok to have a few drinks now and then, but best not to because it affects the pancreas and you want to be as nice to that thing as possible, trust me :confused:

I wonder why it’s so common. In Australia we have this National Diabetes Services Scheme where the government heavily subsidises all the supplies, so needles are free and the test strips are only like $1 for 200. So I’m kind of glad it is common. Mind you, that endocrinologist wasn’t cheap to see.
Quite often, if a close relative is type 2, then it can increase the likelihood of a relative developing diabetes too. Also, I've noticed that quite a few people with thyroid issues could develop diabetes later on or vice versa. It could be autoimmune issue hence why they could be related.
I noticed you briefly mentioned about going into a hypo after using a rapid acting insulin. There is a way to work out your carbohydrate points (CP) so that you can make more accurate adjustments to your insulin dosage. I'll have to try and dig up that piece of info if I can.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
By the way, dark chocolate is good for you, because it tastes better than that milky choccie shit:D
Also less milk means less fat.
Reminds me, try to avoid those diabetic chocolates, biscuits jams etc as although they'll have no sugar they will have a high fat content.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
By the way, dark chocolate is good for you, because it tastes better than that milky choccie shit:D
Also less milk means less fat.
Reminds me, try to avoid those diabetic chocolates, biscuits jams etc as although they'll have no sugar they will have a high fat content.
I got the 70% cocoa one tonight. I avoid the diabetic chocolates because $$$$$. Also, they have like 3 different artificial sweeteners which have a “laxative effect”.

Why is diabetes so common?

gypsylee

SF Supporter
Quite often, if a close relative is type 2, then it can increase the likelihood of a relative developing diabetes too. Also, I've noticed that quite a few people with thyroid issues could develop diabetes later on or vice versa. It could be autoimmune issue hence why they could be related.
I noticed you briefly mentioned about going into a hypo after using a rapid acting insulin. There is a way to work out your carbohydrate points (CP) so that you can make more accurate adjustments to your insulin dosage. I'll have to try and dig up that piece of info if I can.
Ohh I just saw this. Thanks. Yeah hypos are evil. In fact, diabetes can suck it tonight lol.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I got the 70% cocoa one tonight. I avoid the diabetic chocolates because $$$$$. Also, they have like 3 different artificial sweeteners which have a “laxative effect”.

Why is diabetes so common?
Increase in numbers of people with type 2 is mainly due to lifestyle dietary factors. People tend to eat more processed foods/junk goods etc which are high in sugar/fat content. Factor in lifestyles which can lead to being overweight all contribute to increasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for the vid @MagickLynx. I watched the first few minutes and will watch the rest later.

Does anyone know if smoking is particularly bad for diabetics? A friend mentioned something about nicotine affecting insulin production in a bad way, but I can't find anything on it. I'm trying to quit smoking and was considering nicotine replacement, but now I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Vanquished

It was roughly a couple years ago I was diagnosed as "pre-diabetic". I was told that on the scale I'm barely considered that, so although I am technically considered to be pre-diabetic I would think it shouldn't take much for that to be lifted. However....

A couple months ago I had a DNA report ran. It was actually a gift from my best friend because I've never had any of my biological history because I was abandoned at birth. It turns out that Diabetes I and II are in my genomes. Obesity is also in there. I am overweight although I carry it very well thanks to having a big build. Obviously, I cannot know what my other biological relatives have experienced.

Here is what I find odd, though. I used to be over 40lbs heavier (thanks to that god awful med Zyprexa) years ago, and yet I wasn't considered anything diabetic then. But now, over 40lbs lighter, and about 10yrs later I'm considered "pre-diabetic". My diet is significantly better than it was back then, too. Admittedly, I don't understand that. Wouldn't it make more sense if it were the other way around?

So basically, with the declines that continue to come with age AND whatever else is going on, I'm not sure what to expect going forward. Losing weight doesn't appear to be a big factor at this point although I know it's not going to hurt to continue to lose. Ideally, I would like to lose at least another 28lbs anyway. Diabetes seems to be such a fickle creature.

Thanks for the vid @MagickLynx. I watched the first few minutes and will watch the rest later.

Does anyone know if smoking is particularly bad for diabetics? A friend mentioned something about nicotine affecting insulin production in a bad way, but I can't find anything on it. I'm trying to quit smoking and was considering nicotine replacement, but now I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
It's a lot of info but it's worth watching

I'm not sure on the smoking but there's some advice on this:

gypsylee

SF Supporter
Diabetes seems to be such a fickle creature.
It’s a f***ing c*** of a thing! That’s pretty much why I go into denial about it, or it takes me a while to work out how to use the continuous glucose monitor or whatever. It isn’t painful and most of the time you wouldn’t even know there’s anything wrong (and I really would prefer it to some of the awful illnesses people have) but it still sucks. It’s also why I feel like punching doctors and nurses in the face when they act like “OMG why aren’t you controlling your blood sugar??”

I didn’t even know I had it for a couple of years (?) and the pancreatitis that caused it (?) was caused by alcohol abuse, which was caused by *blah blah traumatic shit*. It’s all these assumptions that lead to me sitting in the Emergency ward in tears because some idiotic doctor hasn’t got the first clue about my life and why my pancreas doesn’t work properly. The question marks are because nobody can actually tell me, and guess what? I’m not a doctor you assholes! So it’s kind of your job to tell me, or to at least make the effort to understand it from my point of view.

*sigh* Thanks guys..

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00