did it mess you up for life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana..

It mucked me up.
I'm being bullied at the moment,
And i'm quite suicidal and don't want to go back to school.
i skipped most of last year.
so i suppose i'll leave with no qualifacations.

Nyu

I remember two years ago a girl cornered me in the locker room and threatened to break my fingers. Then, out in the gym, she threw a basketball at me which nailed my throat and i had to go to the nurses... I don't know why people do these things. I really just don't get it...:(

It's definately messed with me i think. Not just that incident, but everything.

D

Dave_N

I'm a teacher now, but I was bullied when I was younger. I would say that it hasn't messed me up for life. It has made me who I am today. I know first hand how painful this can be though, and I try to make sure that it isn't happening where I work.

It's helped me be more sympathetic to people - to stand up to bullies if I see it going on, and help those they're hurting.

I used to get bullied, until I stopped taking shit.
A few years ago, there were these guys that were roommates of one of my friends. They would treat him and everyone else like crap. For instance, they ripped up my friend's food, and threw it around his half of the room, ruined his sheets, etc. They got physical, and they also verbally abused random people just to make themselves feel better.

I was the only one they wouldn't push around. I just looked at them, and they knew I wouldn't take shit from them. Even though they each had easily 80lbs more muscle then me (they were built, while I'm skinny), they would move out of my way. You can't just give the look, you have to feel it, in your whole being.

colt45

I was bullied from as far back as 6th grade and all the way up to my Junior year in high school.

It left me with some many scars inside of my soul that I can not forgive those who made my life a living heel for me in school. Having to take it all in day after day was enough to push me over the edge.

I feel it all the time. At work. It consumes me like a cancer.

My class reunion was this weekend and did not even bother going to it all. I did not even wan to see any of them.

The day to day struggle for me is the my journey yo over come this torment and to love forward. NOt one step back.

I have been bullied by girls and guys smaller and bigger, younger and older than me since I can remember and it has messed me up and I feel in someway this is why I looked this place up. It has eaten away at my personality and continues to do so to this day- because of it I am increadibly shy, introverted and I hate/despise myself everyday. I struggle to find any redeeming feature.

Yes and my only solution is to kill all of them son of a bitches. I can say they ruin my life tremendously. These guy and girl, and there a lot of them need to be kill when they are just born. Their like rapist, they ruin your emotional self esteem and leave PTSD for life.

I remember I was first bullied in Year 4, when I was 8 or so, as I had glasses and I looked geeky, but god I was the complete opposite. I was, well I am a dumbass with glasses. I was bullied mostly by girls. Girls who always had the line 'my mummy and my daddy will shout at your mummy and daddy'. I mean, come one, we were in Junior school and they acted like very small children but had such hatred in their voices.
Sorry rambling now.
But I'm 17 now, and I'm still bullied regularly. It just depends on the day and their moods. Some days it's about how fat I am, others it's the fact that I'm not completely academic and it takes a lot longer to understand something that other people.
I don't wanna go back to school, as it's that bad. But hey, only one more year.
Sorry for my rambleness.

I was rarely picked on in elementary school, but what I remember still hurts. The real bullying started in 7th grade. These girls were mean. Holy hell were they mean. I don't think it's messed me up for life, but it definitely hurts to think about. I've never been bullied in high school.

I was bullied for practically 5 years. And yes, it messed me up pretty bad. I found it hard to cope with that, and the stress of home/school. I went downhill in Year 11, but now I have moved on, and am showing them that I won't let them ruin my future.

It's the bullies that need help, because they find it fun to cause someone pain. Well we'll see who is laughing when I get a decent job and they have nothing ;)

H

HappyAZaClaM

I was bullied pretty much my whole life. I'm pretty much scum. Only thing i can do is lend my life to people that need my help. Life is so miserable.
I wish people woudn't think or say stuff like that. and I realize that
minimizing or invalidating someones feelings is one of the most subtle and
incidious forms of bullying. I apologize if my first sentence sounded like
that was what I was doing. That is not my intention.

how can you be SCUM if you lend your life to other people who need help?
as to life being miserable...well, it certainly CAN be. and apparently in fact
IS, at least for the moment.

I think bullying or being bullied is a sad fact of the human condition.
that doesn't make it ok. but it really is. people suck. and there's way too
many of them.

anyway, you're not SCUM. I guess that's about it for my great sermon
on the mount concerning bullying and bullies. except to say, ot would
be helpful if you were more specific about what it is that makes you
think you are scum.

might give someone smarter than me a chance to talk you out of that
mindset. ok then, try to hang in there and try to talk to someone here
in more detail about your feelings, Oh One Who Is Not Scum :)

cheers!

Bill

H

HappyAZaClaM

I was bullied when I was in grade 7 and 8, but now that I'm 27, I can honestly say that I've put it behind me and have moved on. Things like this, you have to let it go, or else it will continue eating away at you.
perhaps...you were bullied less, than some other people? not an
accusation, but a hypothesis... of course you are correct. letting it go
is the only option. there is no other sane, safe, healthy or legal option
but to let it go. perhaps, that is easier for some than it is for others?
again, just wondring aloud, as it were.

if you really did 'let it go' and you are not just saying that, perhaps
how exactly did you let it go? I mean REALLY let it go. for the sake of
clarity, I am not just nitpicking at you like it probably seems.

HOW do people let things like that go?

I was bullied some in high school but I'm pretty quiet and it wasnt too bad. Living with 2 roommates (for a month) I thought were my friends has taught me a lot about being bullied and why they do it. I've been the target of a bunch of pranks and its obvious they dont respect me. Its funny to think of how much they would whine if I did the same stuff to them. I'm a quiet person who isnt really interested in coming up with "awesome and funny" pranks that can humiliate people.

Recently, my opinion has changed on bullied kids who shoot kids in school. I can definitely see why people would reach a point where they wanted to kill their tormentors and those laughing about it. I'm certainly not justifying murder, just saying maybe that we should listen to some of these people instead of painting them all as psychos.

It did. It messed up my life and me. It messed up my head so completely that for some time I wasn't quite able to tell whether I was a tree or a mushroom. Shortly said it was insane, insane and insane how they were. Additionally mentioned it was grazy.

It was so serious that I have completely no trust in people. I used to be very kind, idealistic and sweet by heart but I now see no point to be. I would just in a way pay back for the world by being my exact opposite because I was wronged. I couldn't have my revenge to them because there was so many of them. Therefore I often go trough some serious episodes of hate and sadness when I swear I could almost kill those people who disrespected me. It's terrible because there is NOTHING I was and what I am able to do so it's just EMPTY, useless anger which is extremely exhausting. I won't let people step over me, they just DID it, by extreme force without no reason whatsoever.

It totally ruined my philosophy of life because it was INSANE and they STILL did it even though there was no reason. I am not blue-eyed and I know people can act pretty ugly sometimes but I could not have never ever before imagined totally normal people acting like it. I can be mean to people, too, but there is the LIMIT which I can't mentally cross unless there would be some REALLY good reason. It's what has always taught to me about what is right and what is wrong and what is a normal person like. Oh yes, it's conscience and ethics. Well, they had NONE. I think that is what was especially traumatizing about the bullying case of mine.

After seeing just ordinary people acting like total psychopaths nothing really has been the way it was because it changed the way I saw everything. It didn't make me at all more realistic, tougher or anything else good that could have come from it, it just made me deeply deeply depressed.

Additionally I never before have and probably never will hear so STUPID things coming out of someone's mouth as I did in the past. Offences I heard were so RIDICULOUS that it was almost deathly FUNNY. Expect that it wasn't.

Recently, my opinion has changed on bullied kids who shoot kids in school. I can definitely see why people would reach a point where they wanted to kill their tormentors and those laughing about it. I'm certainly not justifying murder, just saying maybe that we should listen to some of these people instead of painting them all as psychos.
I could without no question hurt physically the ones that hurted me. I am not insane nor a psychopath, pretty much the opposite, but it's simply because it was so bad and long-lasting. It would just be acting exactly like they did for the reason of being angry because THEY acted like it. Better said I would NOT be normal if I would not want to revenge. I *know* that nearly every at least normal person gone trough the same as I have would want to, as well. Everything is subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpencerA

no. i still suffer with low self-esteem and anxiety, but the best thing i ever did was befriend one of the girls who bullied me. it may sound crazy but i learnt why she treated me how she did, and that part of it was the fact she felt pressurised to be one of the bullies rather than a victim, and also that her parents were going through divorce proceedings and she was angry. shes now one of my best friends, but the fact is seeing it from the other side and realising it wasn't my fault made me more accepting of the past and able to move on.

lost43215

bullied for 15ish years... yep... id say it messed up my life... resulted in the current problems i have in life and my depression which really isnt chemical imbalances... but just sheer low self-esteem and other social problems.

SAVE_ME

What makes me angry is that at the time, nobody does anything about it there and then! Like I said in an earlier post, it should be tackled early on, before it becomes too late and scars the person for life.

My main regret these days is that I should've done something myself back then. The teachers weren't going to do jack sh*t, so I should've stood up for myself damn it! Even if I'd have gotten my a** kicked (which most likely would've happened), at least I still would've come out of it with a little self respect, you know?

I can't say I've gotten over it, I still find it difficult to make new friends and I absolutely HATE walking past a group of people. I'd rather walk the long way round if it means I can dodge them, I panic like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00