When the voices in my head dont want to shut up, I've been listening to Crimson Vale, especially "Im not ok". It kind of dark but seems to help shut the voices up for a while...at least long enough to get doing things that make me too busy to listen to them.
Iām probably not typical, but I donāt feel particularly inspired nor the opposite by lyrics. I feel like itās just a motivational speech put to music, but thatās not what music is for. I sometimes listen to a song called The Becoming by nine inch nails āit wonāt give up; it wants me dead and god damn this noise inside my head,ā but thatās more about feeling less isolated because someone else is speaking from a very similar pain to my own.
I do think distraction is a very useful strategy, but when I am too upset, very little music appeals to me. Itās always too busy and straining my anxiety level, or too soporific and should only be listened to in bed. However, very little is more than nothing, and my go-tos of late have been a certain recording of Erik Satie piano solos called āAfter the Rain.ā I have listened to it so many times that it is like a very old, comforting blanket.
Other than that I will seek out esoteric ambient electronic music, which keeps my overactive brain from turning against me.