Does this happen to others

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Rockclimbinggirl, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

So at times I feel like I'm present in day to day life physically (ie I'm walking around) but my mind is elsewhere.

I still go about and do stuff, but I have missed my stop on the bus several times. I've also been out and gone "where the hell am I", then realizing that I'm on such and such street.

So does this happen to anyone else?
  2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Rocky that sounds a little like "depersonalization" or "derealization" a symptom I've gotten during a panic attacks.
    Maybe not exactly, but you feel you're not really present/connected to your body, kind of hard to describe and kind of scary too.
  3. sofie

sofie Banned Member

Depending on the situation, my counselor says it is either dissociating or obsessing. Sometimes I am truly not present mentally in the present -- my mind is in the past reliving things but sometimes brings my body into it with physical sensations/pain. Other times, I am on auto pilot in that I am thinking things through--usually obsessing on some flaw I have - but also more aware of what I am doing physically, not as disconnected physically as the other.

Both are annoying and the dissociating can cause my emotions to go weird places quickly.
  4. RetroJoe

RetroJoe Member

Kinda understand. Sometimes I go on cruise control and become numb when the stress becomes to difficult. I simply don't deal with anything. I just let what happens happen without regard to any consequences.
    DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Yeah zoned out and then realize time passed but wtf was I doing how did I get from point A to B
  6. Corvette

Corvette Member

Omg yes,
  7. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

8. IdontMatter111

IdontMatter111 Well-Known Member

oh yes! can a bit scary sometimes too..
  9. Feinmharu

Feinmharu Tortured Mind

Yes. Some days worse than others...