ect "shock" therapy

Personally I've turned down ECT twice because of the side effects and risks. However, I know several people that have gone through with it and have done the full round of ECT treatments.

I can think of one person in particular that did awful with them - he was extremely forgetful, heartless, tired all the time, confused, he even started getting seizures ( outside of ECT - which he never had before). He was extremely depressed and even remained in hospital for a year during and following treatment.

4 other people I have in mind have gone through treatment and have had a very little positive effect from them, but not too many negative consequences. They showed very little improvement.

1 more person I have in mind went through with ECT and stayed out of hospital and was doing well for approximately 20 years!

So, thats all I can really tell you so you need to be the judge, do what feels right.

Jolanta

Member & Antiquitie's Friend
Staff Alumni
That is not a stupid question honey. If you think you are a candidate for ECT tretment, remember it is only as a last resort. Then talk with your p-doc about it. He/she will give you a referral and tell you who performs the teatment and where you have to go. Take care.

With love from Jolanta :hug:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00