Exercise club

DouglasW

SF Supporter
Hey all! I have an idea which I hope might get traction here, to create an exercise club to help motivate each other and show progress.

The basic idea is that every day people can post whatever exercise they did today. Not that you have to actually have anything to add every day. And it doesn't matter if you did 5 minutes of stretches or climbed a mountain or whatever. Everyone has different goals and levels of fitness.

I will share a little of my own reasons and goals. Others can feel free to share these likewise but there is no need to. Please like or comment if you have any interest in the exercise club. I figure right before the New Year is a good time for starting it too.

So I suffer from PTSD, which includes depression and anxiety often, as well as a general tendency to get overactivated. Like agitation, insomnia, anxiety, fear. I know from the past that when I get a lot of exercise, in particular cardio, it calms my nervous system a lot, burns off stress hormones, brightens my mood. I also would like to lose weight and feel more energy. So I aim to get hikes/walks -- nothing too strenuous -- or perhaps hit the gym for treadmill and strength machines. It's winter and cold so I will either need to bundle up or go to the gym.

I'll try to tag some folks and mention the thread in chat, please tag anyone else you think might be interested!

@Trapper @Acy @Zonkers @sassy123 @Blue Star @Sarahbeanie @bobbob @DowntheRabbitHole

bobbob

SF Supporter
@ravens snowboarding counts![/QUO
Hey all! I have an idea which I hope might get traction here, to create an exercise club to help motivate each other and show progress.

The basic idea is that every day people can post whatever exercise they did today. Not that you have to actually have anything to add every day. And it doesn't matter if you did 5 minutes of stretches or climbed a mountain or whatever. Everyone has different goals and levels of fitness.

I will share a little of my own reasons and goals. Others can feel free to share these likewise but there is no need to. Please like or comment if you have any interest in the exercise club. I figure right before the New Year is a good time for starting it too.

So I suffer from PTSD, which includes depression and anxiety often, as well as a general tendency to get overactivated. Like agitation, insomnia, anxiety, fear. I know from the past that when I get a lot of exercise, in particular cardio, it calms my nervous system a lot, burns off stress hormones, brightens my mood. I also would like to lose weight and feel more energy. So I aim to get hikes/walks -- nothing too strenuous -- or perhaps hit the gym for treadmill and strength machines. It's winter and cold so I will either need to bundle up or go to the gym.

I'll try to tag some folks and mention the thread in chat, please tag anyone else you think might be interested!

@Trapper @Acy @Zonkers @sassy123 @Blue Star @Sarahbeanie @bobbob @DowntheRabbitHole
Nice idea Doug.
I'll put my goals down if that's OK.
Today plan to do:
30 mins cycling on exercise bike while watching a bit of Miss Marple (bit of an episode, not a bit of her ofc).
40 mins walking (to pub to meet friend! But still counts).
20 min karate exercises I vaguely and probably inaccurately (mis)remember from childhood.
Medium term goal is to get my heart beat down from 54 resting to 52.
My other goal is to start jogging again but not sure that current jogging pants are fit to be seen outside (as look more like PJ bottoms). Also have some OCD anxieties about running, especially on the beach.
Hope folk do well with exercise today. Its one of best things can do for psycological and health I thnk

I think this is a good idea Doug.

Imho, gentle exercise is better during the winter.

My entry for each day will probably be something like "sat on my ass again today", but that might eventually motivate me to exercise.

Maybe I could also comment on whether or not I ate sugar that day. I've been trying to quit, but fell off the wagon recently.

bobbob

SF Supporter
I think this is a good idea Doug.

Imho, gentle exercise is better during the winter.

My entry for each day will probably be something like "sat on my ass again today", but that might eventually motivate me to exercise.

Maybe I could also comment on whether or not I ate sugar that day. I've been trying to quit, but fell off the wagon recently.
Am trying to quit sugar too and also fell off wagon. There was left over triffle from Christmas in fridge and didnt want it to go to waste! would be interested to hear how u get on.

bobbob

SF Supporter
whether met goals:
Walked to pub and back in sun. so achieved that but ate potatoes at pub and fingers swelled up, which wasnt so good.
did 40 mins on exercise bike.
no karate exercises.
so not bad all round (apart from crazy autoimmune hands).
This thread has kind of motivated me. so tomorrow plan:
40 mins on bike.
screw the karate exercises for now. There are no ninjas around anyways; so should be ok!
Walk bit further than yesterday. Round whole marina not just one quay. will grab scrambled egg on toast in cafe on way back as reward.
thats it. :)

cymbele

SF Supporter
Didn't exercise today due to wet rain and a visit of a friend. I have been walking an hour a day this past week. Getting some strength to keep on walking after vacation is done. Tomorrow is supposed to be good so I will get out again. Next week when I start work again it will be difficult to get out after work so I will have to be motivated to go to the gym.

Pennylane-

Day 26 yesterday of my son and I's 'Walk every day for a year' challenge, we walked around the village once, 50% steep downhill and 50% steep uphill , only a mile, we walked two the day before but we were both feeling a bit tired and down. Aim for tonight: A walk around some local lakes (Day 27)

Thanks for this Doug :) very motivational

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I need to get back into exercise. It's gone completely out the window the last couple of weeks. Usually, I try to go for a walk most days and aim to walk at least 8000 steps a day, but haven't been doing it in the run up to the holidays because I've been busy and the weather's been rubbish. I also need to do some toning exercises, as the flab on my belly is really getting to me.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00