Facebook almost makes me cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pad

I quit facebook for exactly this reason. Most of the people on there seem like brainless robots- I could tell what reactions were going to come next because everyone is the same on there. So false. I find calling the people I care about personally adds a lot more satisfaction

pither

Checking my facebook = instant depression =/

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I just love being completely ignored by all the people I used to call "my friends"- does wonders for the self-esteem

Roots

The only reason I log in to Facebook, is because of the games I play (Farmville, Mafia Wars etc :tongue:). I don't care much about my "friends". I've lost all my friends, and therefore I have no interest in keeping in touch with them. But it's ok to see how they're doing.

I dislike seeing how "perfect" everyone's lives are, how many "friends" they've got and how "popular" they are. Seems like people are trying to show off about their lives, and make it seem better than it in reality is. If their lives really were that good and exciting, I doubt they would spend much time on Facebook. And I can't believe their lives are so perfect, with friends or not. "Each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little." It makes me feel like we're all in the same boat. But I still end up with being more depressed sometimes, so I try to ignore everything/everyone that might bring me down.

But I would probably delete my account and never come back, if it wasn't for the games etc. :laugh:

Remedy

Chat & Forum Buddy
I see messages saying how great it was to see you last night etc. I feel physically weak after logging out, I feel so alone.
I don't find outings with more than one person that great... because of anxiety I'm more than happy to stay home. I made an account to stay in contact with an old friend.. after two years of not having any real life friends it's nice to say we're meeting up soon. So Facebook has been pretty positive for me. I don't feel bad seeing 'popular' people with lots of friends on there.. even when I had many friends I could see in person... I didn't feel much different to now. They tend to over exaggerate what a 'super duper' time they had and how 'unbelievably outrageous' last Saturday was. Try not to let it bother you. They're deluding themselves.

If you ever want to know how important you are in your spouse's life go to their FB page. What is there and what is missing tells alot. I try not to pay attn to my spouse on FB. I'm depressed and paranoid enough as it is. And yes alot of people use FB as a way to get affirmation from others who also are just looking for affirmation from others. I guess maybe this is a good thing if that works for you. :sadyes:

I agree with most of you that Facebook and Myspace are basically just gigantic wastes of time. It's probably ok if you're younger or a college student. But one of the worst things you can do is add ex bf/gfs or old school friends. It's just going to bring you down.

A lot of people use these types of sites and their online interactions to validate their lives and make them feel popular or to feel good about themselves. They begin to equate Facebook and Myspace friends with real friends and it's just sad.

Even though I know Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with so many people from my past, it has also shown me how much of a loser I am. Whenever people post pictures of themselves with their family or our having a good time with friends I get even more depressed because I can't do the same. I just work and then sit in my apartment feeling lonely, sad, and unable to make genuine connections with people or maintain any type of relationship that lasts longer then a week.

HiddenTears

I know exactly how you all feel. I quit facebook and comeback to see all 90 of my friends (probably only 3 that I actually talk to) and I hope that someone would notice I went missing. Nobody ever does. On the rare occasions that I meet new people, sometimes I hope that they will look me up, but I am always left disappointed when noone cares enough to. Especially on the very rare occasion that I meet a girl. It makes me so sad to be on that site, and I actually just reactivated my account today hoping that something will change. I don't know why though, I know I will be searching the feeds seeing how good everyone elses life is and wondering what happened to mine.

Corax

And here I thought I was the only one with the facebook problem
If anyone wants to add me to their facebook (or myspace) PM me and we'll arrange it.

I'm even all for creating a facebook group just for us if no one's beat me to it.

johnnysays

I had to delete my facebook account. It wasn't the numbers of friends people had that got to me, it was seeing the majority of people I knew from high school go on to college or successful jobs and always posting pictures with groups of their friends.

I felt so bad about not being able to hold a job and barely being able to go to school part time, let alone my non-existent social life, that I just had to get rid of it.
Sadly, I can somehow relate to this. It's unfun not being able to keep up with your peers.

Hang in there.

i 2 feel the same, sitting in my van right now thinking of how spectacular it would be for me to go head on with a truck on the free way and kiss this SHIT LIFE GOODBYE . sorry but feeling really down and out

IV2010

I hate facebook too...no one writes on my page and if I go to chat to someone they disappear ....
the rest of my family are sending each other hugs, etc. but I never seem to get them...
it is depressing....

twc

Facebook is like a big endless high school. High school drama, high school jealousy, high school cliques...I can't stand it.

I didn't like very many people in high school in the first place, I don't want to know all of their business now.

I am anti-social. I need an "anti-social networking" program.

It would be like, 3 people, who never talk to each other.

:laugh:

friendless

((( DISCLAIMER - THIS IS PROBABLY REALLY BAD ADVICE SO FEEL FREE TO SKIP IT )))

Now that I'm in college I no longer really have any real friends. The "friends" I do have are nice enough to me (at least to my face) but it's not like I ever get invites to do things with them. They'll throw parties, have dinner at each others homes, go shopping together, and have movie nights but I'm never invited. That makes me feel like total and utter shite and no matter what I do or say, no matter how I dress or act I'm always a social leper.

I don't even have a facebook account because I know it would be friend-free. I was on myspace but the most friends I ever had was a grand total of about 7 or 8. What makes me feel better is knowing that almost everyone I knew in high school are even bigger losers now than I am. I got back in touch with a few and only 2 out of 15 finished college, the ones that went and dropped out owe small fortunes in student loans and don't even have degrees to show for it. One of these friends filed for bankruptcy. One girl I went to school with has never been married but has three different children by three different fathers and though she never said it, I bet she doesn't even know who the fathers are. 3 got severely addicted to drugs, one of these friends ended up getting pregnant but still used drugs during her pregnancy. One friend who was really "popular" on myspace, had like 74-75 friends, is working as a prostitute in Las Vegas. Geee... I wonder why she's so popular....

Maybe feeling bad about networking is just a matter of comparison. I feel like a shallow, judgmental person for saying all of this, but why the hell not? Being a nice and good person has never won me popularity and in fact hasn't won me anything.

Yes, these people you are looking up on facebook are more popular, but ask yourself 'are they people you'd really like to call your friends or even like to be in the same room with?' In the case of my current so-called friends, how nice and friend-worthy are they really if they don't even have the decency or balls to tell me to my face that they don't like me? I am happy being friendless. Friendless is who I am. :smile:

Mystic

If there is a hopeless waste of time in the universe -its Facebook. I used to post stuff on there, I put myself on several "Add me" groups and quickly gained about 170 friends without too much effort. Problem was no one would respond to anything I posted. No one ever 'poked' me, no one ever 'liked' me or anything I said/did. Photo albums ignored, poll results ignored. Game highscores ignored and as for that useless YoVille - the less said the better. I had a couple of work collegues I would occasionally say the odd word to - but that was it.
I found it difficult to cope with 170 friends and only 3 people who would actually speak to me (and even then only on occasion).

My life actually got better when I stopped using it. I deleted all my "friends" and kept the few people I knew and locked everything down so nobody sees anything. I may go on there once in a blue moon - but thats it.

KittyGirl

I'll be your facebook friend, AND SF friend! ;D

I have to admit though-- having a high number of 'friends' on facebook doesn't make me feel any better about myself. I'm from a small town originally-- so pretty much anyone I ever spoke to once back home have added me as a facebook friend. It doesn't mean they care or that they even 'like' or comment on anything I 'do'. XD
It is actually a pretty good tool for networking-- since it's a networking tool, I suppose. I only see networking as an important thing if you're in the entertainment industry, though... it seems a bit pointless everywhere else. That's just my opinion!

I deleted my account after my bf broke up with me because EVERYONE kept asking and it was irritating. We were together all for 7 years-- so I suppose it was big news when it happened... but it hurt me to think about it too much and have to explain myself over and over. I'm back on now; but pretty much only to talk to my sister... because she stays on facebook at work. lol

I don't have alot of friends, but when they post about hanging out it always involves alcoholic beverages or marijuana. Makes me glad to not take part, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00