FAQ : How to clear your web browser's cache, cookies, and history

CodeX

Controversial Figure
SF Artist
Clear your web browser's cache, cookies, and history

Notes:
  • Clearing your web browser's cache, cookies, and history may remove some data that you wish to keep. For details, see About cache, cookies, and history below. For an alternate troubleshooting method, see Troubleshooting alternatives.
  • For desktop browsers, to quickly open menus used to clear your cache, cookies, and history, ensure that the browser is open and selected, and press Ctrl-Shift-Delete (Windows) or Command-Shift-Delete(Mac). If this doesn't work, follow the appropriate instructions below.
  • If the instructions below don't exactly match what you see, you may need to update your web browser to the latest version.
  • If you don't see instructions below for your specific version or browser, search your browser's Helpmenu for "clear cache". If you're unsure what browser version you're using, from the Help menu or your browser's menu, select About [browser name]. In Internet Explorer and Firefox, if you don't see the menu bar, press Alt.
On this page:
About cache, cookies, and history
Clearing your web browser's cache, cookies, and history may remove data such as the following:
  • Saved passwords
  • Address bar predictions
  • Shopping cart contents, etc.
While you should clear your web browser's cache, cookies, and history periodically in order to prevent or resolve performance problems, you may wish to record some of your saved information first. If you are unable to do so, see Troubleshooting alternatives below.
For information about your web browser's cache, cookies, and history, see the following Wikipedia pages:
Troubleshooting alternatives
If you need to clear your cache, cookies, and history for troubleshooting purposes, but aren't yet prepared to lose the content listed above, you may wish to consider using a private browsing window in your preferred browser as a temporary solution. For instructions, see:
Mobile browsers
Android
The steps to clear your cache, cookies, and history may differ depending on the model of your Android device and your preferred browser. However, you should be able to clear your cache and data from your application management settings menu:
  1. Go to Settings and choose Apps or Application Manager.
  2. Swipe to the All tab.
  3. In the list of installed apps, find and tap your web browser. Tap Clear Data and then Clear Cache.
  4. Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.
Chrome for Android
  1. Tap Chrome menu > Settings.
  2. Tap (Advanced) Privacy.
  3. From the "Time Range" drop-down menu, select All Time.
  4. Check Cookies and Site data and Cached Images and Files.
  5. Tap Clear data.
  6. Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.
Safari for iOS
  1. Open your Settings app.
  2. Tap Safari.
  3. Tap Clear History and Website Data and confirm.
Chrome for iOS
  1. Tap Chrome menu > Settings.
  2. Tap Privacy.
  3. Tap Clear Browsing Data.
  4. Choose the data type you want to clear.
  5. Tap Clear Browsing Data.
Desktop browsers
Chrome
  1. In the browser bar, enter: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
  2. At the top of the "Clear browsing data" window, click Advanced.
  3. Select the following:
    • Browsing history
    • Download history
    • Cookies and other site data
    • Cached images and files
  4. From the "Time range" drop-down menu, you can choose the period of time for which you want to clear cached information. To clear your entire cache, select All time.
  5. Click CLEAR DATA.
Firefox
  1. From the History menu, select Clear Recent History.
    If the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to make it visible.
  2. From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
  3. Next to "Details", click the down arrow to choose which elements of the history to clear; to clear your entire cache, select all items.
  4. Click Clear Now.
  5. Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.
Microsoft Edge
  1. In the top right, click the Hub icon (looks like star with three horizontal lines).
  2. Click the History icon (looks like a clock), and then select Clear all history.
  3. Select Browsing history, then Cookies and saved website data, and then Cached data and files. Click Clear.
  4. After the "All Clear!" message appears, exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.
Internet Explorer 11
Note:
On January 12, 2016, Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer versions prior to version 11 . UITS strongly recommends that you upgrade to a new operating system if your current system does not support Internet Explorer 11.
  1. Select Tools > Safety > Delete browsing history....
    If the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to make it visible.
  2. Deselect Preserve Favorites website data, and select:
    • Temporary Internet files or Temporary Internet files and website files
    • Cookies or Cookies and website data
    • History
  3. Click Delete. You will see a confirmation at the bottom of the window when the process is complete.
Opera
  1. From the Opera menu, select Settings, then Privacy & Security, and then Clear browsing data....
  2. In the dialog box that opens, from the "Obliterate the following items from:" drop-down menu, select The beginning of time.
  3. Select the following:
    • Browsing history
    • Download history
    • Cookies and other site data
    • Cached images and files
  4. Click Clear browsing data.
  5. Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.
Safari 8 and later
  1. From the Safari menu, select Clear History... or Clear History and Website Data....
  2. Select the desired time range, and then click Clear History.
  3. Go to Safari > Quit Safari or press Command-Q to exit the browser completely.
Source : https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
@devildog Have you checked out the "mobile" section above here by chance? (I'm not trying to nag you. Sorry if it's annoying. I have a running list of people have "this" issue or "that" issue so I'm just trying to sort everyone out)

devildog

stars can only keep me company for so long
@devildog Have you checked out the "mobile" section above here by chance? (I'm not trying to nag you. Sorry if it's annoying. I have a running list of people have "this" issue or "that" issue so I'm just trying to sort everyone out)
This fixed it on safari, thank you! I guess I was just being dumb hah

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
No, honestly not at all, @devildog There are a few people just left having problems. Mac users seemed to have a hard time, Safari, and Apple people. Just getting them sorted little by little. I'm glad you are good now. *marks you off the list*

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
You have managed to post your story in your signature space, @laup To change your signature (to make it blank, or otherwise) you click on your avatar on the top right of any page then "signature". In that large blank area you must've posted your story so delete all that which is written there.

laup

SF Supporter
just done it it took me ages to get the guts to start writing that lol i was looking for someone123 for her thought and plastered it all over the cafe gggggrrrrrrrrr so sorry. The thing is i asked dodge what that box was for last night he said music so i said i would do it today. i did not know it was a postbox i am so embarressed. you tell dodge what i done he will piss himself laughing. i hope the rest realize they have seen enough computer errors off me. i am going back to admin and windows 10 learning box again thanks.

laup

SF Supporter
ok page freezes then comes up recover page if its easier i can close account and open another with differant email on monday. i did as you said then went to my dentist page came back and it was there again. leave it for now enjoy your weekend i just will not post okm8

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00