Fashion, makeup, shopping hauls and other Shallow Stuff <3

BlueGreen

Re: Mascara. I read an article that said this is one thing to buy from the drugstore because you really should replace it every 3 months for hygiene. I've been guilty of not doing that as I don't use it much. With mascara each person's favourite is so individual because there is natural looking, lengthening, volumizing, waterproof. Etc, etc. The variety can be confusing. Obviously if money is no problem for you, then high end is usually better, but I've tried many drugstore mascaras and find them to work fine-- I always use a little comb or spoolie brush to separate my eyelashes and make sure no clumps. Even super-cheap brands like Wet 'n Wild, ELF and Essence have some good mascaras - lots of reviews online.
Yeah, I think you're right they do work fine and no-one really notices high end or high street. But they can be quite different. For instance one high street I got recently is fine for an hour or so but then it kind of flakes off and I get bits in my eyes or on my skin! I think that is unusual though. I got a purple one from YSL on a whim and you don't really notice the colour too much but when you wash it off it looks like a horror movie!

BlueGreen

@BlueGreen - elemis is good for serums, but pricey so I have stopped using lol. Olay do a good retinol cream which I have started using and seems quite nice. It got good reviews too as it's fragrance free
https://olay.co.uk/skin-care-produc...night-moisturiser-with-retinol-and-vitamin-b3
Thanks @BraveFace, I'll have a look at those. I saw a video on YouTube, a plastic surgeon based in the US and his recommendations for skincare without going under the knife and he recommended No7 retinol. I asked about it at the counter this week and it seemed a bit strong for me. I got the Boots own just to see if I'm OK with it. Have you been using it long? Did you see a difference in your skin?

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I misunderstood the previous question so edited it *shy but want to say...

I have been using this HAIR serum for a while, I have long hair and it gets dry, coarse and this serum gives it a nice glistening shine making it look heathier, it's cheap too at 6 quid from boots. I do recommend, its super good for applying to the ends after straightening!!

1618169730786.png

Thanks @BraveFace, I'll have a look at those. I saw a video on YouTube, a plastic surgeon based in the US and his recommendations for skincare without going under the knife and he recommended No7 retinol. I asked about it at the counter this week and it seemed a bit strong for me. I got the Boots own just to see if I'm OK with it. Have you been using it long? Did you see a difference in your skin?
I think it makes a difference, but I have only been using it for about 3 weeks and only use it every other night. Also, I have only just started getting back into a night time skin care routine, so maybe just washing my face before bed makes the difference lol *dunno

BlueGreen

I misunderstood the previous question so edited it *shy but want to say...

I have been using this HAIR serum for a while, I have long hair and it gets dry, coarse and this serum gives it a nice glistening shine making it look heathier, it's cheap too at 6 quid from boots. I do recommend, its super good for applying to the ends after straightening!!

View attachment 44231
No that's great, in fact I think I need to try this because my hair is getting so dry now.

For skin care for oil or combo skin, I used Neutrogena's Healthy Skin moisturizer for many years (non SPF version, at night). I'm 52 and people always comment that I have no wrinkles, but I always used drugstore moisturizer. I do find that now I'm in menopause my rosacea is worse so I use a dermatologist-formulated cream called Riversol. It's a bit richer.

I feel like the most important thing for skin is to remove makeup every evening, cleanse and moisturize-- and you can just use a basic moisturizer. And to always wear SPF 15+ in the daytime. I have a friend who had the most gorgeous, beautiful skin I ever saw on anyone -- not a single blemish or mark. Every summer she burned her face in the sun trying to get tan (she is very fair) and now she is spending on high-end creams and Botox to try and repair the damage. She has literally spent $800 on a tub of Creme de la Mer (sp?) and she cannot afford it. But she still won't wear sunscreen even though literally everyone tells her to. I love her but it's so frustrating.

I also have to recommend Tati's skincare vitamins. The Halo Kiwi cleared up my rosacea breakouts. I wasn't sure it was the vitamins since I took them for a month and it took my skin two months to show a difference (apparently skin that's older or has certain conditions can take a while to turn over), but then my breakouts came back after 4-6 weeks and I took another month of vitamins and the same thing happened. I've had really good results with hair vitamins as well (Prairie Naturals Hair Force)-- not sure they work for hair loss but taking them daily really improved the texture of my hair to the point that my hairdresser asked if I was using a new conditioner.

Yeah, I think you're right they do work fine and no-one really notices high end or high street. But they can be quite different. For instance one high street I got recently is fine for an hour or so but then it kind of flakes off and I get bits in my eyes or on my skin! I think that is unusual though. I got a purple one from YSL on a whim and you don't really notice the colour too much but when you wash it off it looks like a horror movie!
Yeah I've had the smearing, flaking issue as well although I find if I look up the reviews (especially the overall rating) before I buy a cheaper product, I can usually avoid the ones with these issues.

For hair, I've also heard that a silk or satin pillowcase makes a difference, but that a satin bonnet or scarf wrapped around the hair at night is even better because it keeps the moisture in your hair and reduces flyaways. Been meaning to try this as I get annoying frizzy flyaways that no serum or conditioner seems to touch.

We're veering into makeup/skincare more, but I am very interested in people's fashion choices as well. When I was younger (and slimmer) I didn't pay much attention to fashion but now that I'm older I want to look more polished. I also have to be much more careful as I'm overweight and have a belly now.

What trends do you love and/or hate right now?

Me:
Love
- black and white together
- black, black and more black, but accessorized with prints or color
- most shades of blue or purple
- cow/zebra print (mostly for accessories like purses)
- jeans with dressy tops
- straight leg jeans

Hate:
- the current trend of super-high-waisted jeans that end above the ankles in a wide bell shape. Ugh, ugh, ugh.
- tucking in tops (no good for people who have short torsos like me)
- cinched waists - especially on plus-sized people because it makes one's bum look huge, but I know some like this
- Huge/loud prints
- Leopard print - I'm just over it

@Lady Wolfshead - great thread btw! :)
In terms of fashion, I feel like I have the same basic colours in my 'wardrobe' - blue (jeans), black, beige, green and maroon. Like you I want to be a bit more polished and being peri-menopausal has also forced me into it.
I am short and petite - why I like KM for sizing - and alternate between being generally cold and having a hot flush! So have found layers are my best friend. They are also great at hiding my belly fat too. Finding comfortable but stylish footwear is definitely a problem though - I have been pretty much wearing the same black boots for at least 4 months now and need to get out of the rut. I would love to be able to wear heels again!

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I need to post some pics of my favorite clothes...I have so many I don't even wear often. lol
I wear makeup every day because I feel weird without it. I'm pale and a natural blonde, so I feel like I look washed out when I'm not wearing it. Mascara is a lifesaver to me since my eyelashes are light blonde. I haven't tried the more expensive brands of makeup because it's not within my budget, but some of the cheaper brands can work well. Even some that they sell at the Dollar Tree can have impressive results.
I don't teally do anything with my eyebrows since they're so light. I don't wear lipstick often but I like lip gloss and lip balms. And I can't wear colors that are too dark because it looks a bit strange on me.
I wash my face every night because it's acne prone. I like to use anything that will make my hair smooth and sleek because it is thick and curly.

I need to post some pics of my favorite clothes...I have so many I don't even wear often. lol
I wear makeup every day because I feel weird without it. I'm pale and a natural blonde, so I feel like I look washed out when I'm not wearing it. Mascara is a lifesaver to me since my eyelashes are light blonde. I haven't tried the more expensive brands of makeup because it's not within my budget, but some of the cheaper brands can work well. Even some that they sell at the Dollar Tree can have impressive results.
I don't teally do anything with my eyebrows since they're so light. I don't wear lipstick often but I like lip gloss and lip balms. And I can't wear colors that are too dark because it looks a bit strange on me.
I wash my face every night because it's acne prone. I like to use anything that will make my hair smooth and sleek because it is thick and curly.
Yes! Post pics of your favourite clothes. I would enjoy seeing them. And that's interesting about Dollar Tree makeup. I've heard good things about some of it, but I'm a bit cautious because I've had reactions to some cheaper makeup (Coastal Scents eye shadow gave me an eye twitch - I don't know how that's possible but it stopped when I stopped using it, then started again when I re-started, and I tested this several times). So I'm a bit wary of the dollar store brands although the more reputable ones sold at both drugstore and dollar stores are probably okay.

Bergerac

Love this thread; it's right up my street.

I am allergic to most things, so I tend to keep my makeup light and natural. I can therefore only use the more expensive brands, such as 'Dior' or 'Clarins'.

I use blusher, coverage stick (not full foundation) and a lipstick covered by gloss.

If I am using mascara, O will use clear for a 'barely there' look, just to accentuate the eyes. Brown, for more obvious application, but daytime look, and black for a note glam look. Always get a mascara with a 'toothcomb' applicator. This will separate the lashes beautifully, I find.

Makeup counters (usually) are excellent for showing you the right shade for your skin tone, hair colour, eyes etc. Then you can list down all the products and keep buying them. Usually get some free samples, too.

I decided to post my favourites in each category of makeup. I don't wear all of these everyday but use them regularly if I wear makeup. None of these brands test on animals

Foundation: - as I said - It Cosmetics - Your Skin But Better, or Pure Anada mineral makeup (I like both the liquid or powder foundation, although the liquid is thick and can take some getting used to).

Primer: Pure Anada primer (under mineral makeup) or Smashbox primerizer (under regular). NYX pore filler (used on top of primer)

Powder: Cover Girl loose powder "Clean Professional" in classic ivory. Touch ups: Cover Girl Clean pressed powder - Fragrance Free - in the green compact, which I wish looked more elegant but oh, well.

Concealer: I use mineral makeup 1 shade lighter as concealer over foundation for dark spots. For touch ups or (sparingly) under foundation for undereyes I use a stick concealer - Cover Girl Illuminator

Blush - Milani powder blush in Romantic Rose - great shade for fair skin

Bronzer - Essence in Light - love this.

Contour - NYX matte blush in Taupe

Highlighter - mineral makeup 1 shade lighter than my foundation. I never use shimmmer

Eyeshadow - Milani palette "Most wanted." NYX matte eyeshadow singles

Eyeliner - Cover Girl exhibitionist 24-hour Kohl eyeliner.

Mascara - Pure Anada in Brown, Cover Girl professional

Eyebrows - NYX micro brow pencil in brown. Essence Make Me Brow tinted gel in Soft Brown

Lipliner - NYX in Natural

Tinted lip balm (don't usually wear lipstick). Burt's Bees tinted lip balm in Zinnia (soft brick/warm red). Love BB tinted lip balms and have several.

Last edited:
Just some major cosmetics brands that don't test on animals - Cover Girl, Elf, Essence, NYX, Milani, Burt's Bees, almost all mineral makeup brands (Alima pure, Everyday Minerals, Pure Anada, etc), Tarte, Smashbox, Too Faced, Colourpop, It Cosmetics.

Brands that DO test on animals (includes brands sold in China where testing is required by law. Most do not do this outside of China): Estee Lauder, Clarins, Revlon, Maybelline, Guerlain, Dior, Lancome, Clinique, Nars, L'Oreal, Sephora brand, Make Up For Ever, Chanel

for more information google the websites cruelty-free kitty, or leaping bunny. Note that some of the brands that do not have animal testing are owned by the same parent companies as brands that do. I personally see this as voting with your dollar for cruelty-free products, but some people choose not to buy from any of these brands. The websites I mentioned have more information.

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00