Finally Saw A Psychiatrist

outsource167

I saw a psychiatrist for the first time on Monday and she diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder.
She prescribed me Celexa to take once everyday, Xanax for panic attacks, and Zyprexa for nights when my mind just won't shut off. I haven't gotten the medication yet because she wanted me to get an EKG and my blood to get tested first. I was not looking forward to getting my blood drawn at all. Shots don't bother me that much but something about the process of getting my blood taken freaks me out immensely. I've always managed to avoid it, but I really want my mental health to improve so I just could not bail out this time. Thankfully, I got it over with today and hopefully my results show that I'm healthy.

I was just wondering if anyone has taken Celexa and/or Zyprexa, and what your experience was like with them? Did you find that they helped increase your quality of life at all? I appreciate all your honest feedback.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi @Gems I am delighted you saw a psychiatrist and got a diagnosis, that must be a huge relief. I am on Zyprexa, its a lifesaver for anxiety and sleep. It can make you very drowsy and sedated at times though so make sure to take it at night before bed. It spaces out your thoughts and mind, well that is what it does for me anyway.

Regarding the blood test, try not to worry about it too much, keep in mind it only takes a minute so maybe make them aware that you are nervous and hopefully you will do great :)

I have been on xanax and came off it after a few years, it's very addictive but great for anxiety and works very fast, bear that in mind that it is habit forming.

Well done for reaching out and getting help, very proud of you.

outsource167

Hi @Petal :) Thanks so much for your reply. It feels good to know that Zyprexa helps you out so much, I'm hoping it will do the same for me. I definitely need my mind to be spaced out more and anxiety makes that nearly impossible.
Thanks for your advice on the blood test, I'll remember it if I ever need it done again. I got it done today, and the lady had to poke my arm twice because she had trouble finding my veins the first time. I guess they're shy like me lol. The first time she poked wasn't bad at all, but the second time hurt a little more, I'm just happy that it is over with.

I am a little bit worried about getting addicted to the Xanax, because I have an addictive personality, so I have to be careful with that for sure. I've taken it before but only a handful of times. She is giving me a higher dosage than I'm used to, so I just have to wait and see how that effects me.

Thank you for your kind remarks! Getting help has been long overdue for me and I'm happy that I don't have to go through it alone :)

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hiya, you're more than welcome, glad I could be of help :)

If you have worried about xanax being addictive (all benzodiazepines are addictive), just keep the amount you're prescribed on you, and discuss with your doctor your fears. Xanax is often called a ''wonder drug'' by psychiatrists and it really is , I say that even though I came of it because it for made me addicted to it for a few years so the best solution was coming off. Do some googling and I'm sure you will find lots of info :) It says on xanax leaflet ''The overall duration of treatment should not be more than 12 weeks including a period where the dose is gradually reduced (this is called dose ‘tapering’).'' so maybe taking it PRN (as needed) would be a good solution for you.

You'll fly through the blood test :) It will be okay, don't worry about it, remember it only takes a moment :)

You have all our support behind you. Post here any time you need help, support or just wanna vent.

Best of luck on your journey to recovery @Gems

Striking

There are threads about celexa you can find here. For me it created feelings of vertigo, out of body type experiences and increased my anxiety. I eventually maxed out at 40mg dosage and stabilized. Stopping use should be tapered, not cold, otherwise you can expect potentially severe side effects.

Meds are not an instant cure so keep that in mind when you start using them. They take time typically 3 to 6 months before you can gauge their effectiveness

outsource167

Thanks so much for the info and your support @Petal, you've been super helpful:)
I have to say I really like your message on your profile, anxiety is an evil curse and the root of all evil. So damn true.
Thanks again.

outsource167

Thanks for your feedback on Celexa @Striking. I'm hoping the symptoms I experience won't be negative like yours. I'm trying to decrease my anxiety and I definitely don't need it increased! Eventually, my psychiatrist wants me off all medication and then see a therapist so I can learn coping mechanisms to deal with my anxiety, rather than be dependent on the medication.

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for your feedback on Celexa @Striking. I'm hoping the symptoms I experience won't be negative like yours. I'm trying to decrease my anxiety and I definitely don't need it increased! Eventually, my psychiatrist wants me off all medication and then see a therapist so I can learn coping mechanisms to deal with my anxiety, rather than be dependent on the medication.
Sounds like you have a real plan in place..
Good for you! And good luck!

Aspasia

SF Supporter
I’ve been on meds for a long time and am glad to have a good psychiatrist. He spends 30 minutes with me each time, which I’ve heard is unusual. Others have mentioned the challenges with Xanax, so I won’t add to that. Just want to encourage you. It can take awhile to find the right medication and the right dose. Once something works, it may not work after a few years. But, for me it has been a lifesaver to have meds.

Also, one note of warning. This forum seems so supportive and kind to me. As you may already know, not all are. I have had some bad experiences with sites where people talk about meds. Lots of horror stories and some judging. So take care of yourself.

outsource167

Hi @walker95 :) Thanks for checking up. I started the Celexa five nights ago and the Zyprexa two nights ago. After the first few times of taking Celexa, I felt really exhausted after waking up and just wanted to sleep all day. It helped with my anxiety but my thinking felt cloudy. Then I combined it with Zyprexa, and so far that's been helping a lot and I don't feel as groggy when I wake up. My anxiety has really gone down. I will say though that yesterday I felt very suicidal. I'm not sure if this is because of the medication (one of their symptoms is suicidal thoughts) or because of a situation I was in, but today I feel much better.

outsource167

I found out today that along with generalized anxiety disorder, I also might have borderline personality disorder and my psychiatrist referred me to a psychologist to sort that out. My psychiatrist also wants me off Zyprexa in a month and I really don't want to stop taking it. I find that it helps stabilize my moods immensely. I just really don't want to feel like crap again and I'm scared I will if I stop taking it.

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
Seeing a psychiatrist usually goes hand in hand with seeing a psychologist, since the two practices sort of complement one another. Also, if you end up being unable to cope with coming off of Zyprexa, you can always request to be prescribed it again. Best of luck!

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I found out today that along with generalized anxiety disorder, I also might have borderline personality disorder and my psychiatrist referred me to a psychologist to sort that out. My psychiatrist also wants me off Zyprexa in a month and I really don't want to stop taking it. I find that it helps stabilize my moods immensely. I just really don't want to feel like crap again and I'm scared I will if I stop taking it.
Hope you can work out what the right thing to do is...
Sending hugs your way...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00