Have no desire to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leav

Just for the past few weeks I have no desire at all to do anything productive. I spend most of my time watching random crap on Youtube. I feel like a waste of space, what sort of life is it if you don't achieve anything or work for anything?

I'm really scared this is permanent...I don't want to work anymore...I hate being unemployed but the thought of going into work for the rest of my life is killing me. Everyone seems so burnt out and unhappy. I want to work but at the same time don't want to. In my head I just think I'm the laziest piece of crap ever for this. But to be honest this is a recent thing...I have achieved good grades, and worked very hard for them.I'm not a perfectionist but have very high standards, so it's not like I've always been a waster. How do I get out of this rut? Being like this makes me feel even more suicidal because I don't want to be a burden on society, when I'm perfectly able to work. Am I just a waste of space?

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
No mate, you are not a waste of space, period. I've been there and am there currently. I've got a job but have zero interest in it. I focused by getting away from normal everyday responsibilties and chores and being a little "selfish" in concentrating on ME. Do it. Find something, anything, that gives you a buzz (without substances) and OWN it. Youtube is both a good and an evil. I dd the same as you watching random crap to distract me; but I have also recently used it to research psychology and other things that help me. Be strong brother, and lean on the family here!

gypsylee

SF Supporter
“..but the thought of going into work for the rest of my life is killing me. Everyone seems so burnt out and unhappy.”

@Leav That’s because most of them are. So don’t do it to yourself. Think outside the square my friend..

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” —Friedrich Nietzsche

agateaqua

I'm sort of in the same place. I procrastinate a ton, though I should start on finally get my resume out , I just haven't. Don't know what else to say now, just that you're not alone

pam4him

You are not a waste of space because all life has purpose. It sounds like you've had a recent stressor to cause this. It's doubtful it's permanent, but it may require some assistance to work through. Maybe start with some relaxation techniques - meditation, yoga, calming music, etc. Then try to identify the stressor. This is the first step in working through it. Try to be open to treatment options to help you. You say you are a high achiever, make that your inspiration. Be determined to overcome this.

I have been there quite a bit. The thing that helps me is finding something that excites me and working backward to find a way to do it. In other words, a dream of what your ideal job and work environment would be and then start making it happen. Working a job where everyone seems unhappy isn't as bad if you know it's not forever and the only reason you're doing it is to get to a job/career that you love. Start dreaming of what will make you happy and then use your job as a tool to get you there. It will give your job with unhappy people a purpose and that will give you the drive to get up in the morning.

JulieDegraw

I've been in my trade for 14 years and i have at least worked for 11 different companies until i finally found a place i belong. Ive been laid off, fired and quit myself. It takes time to find a place where you fit in and you have a feeling of wanting to get up in the morning and go to work. You have to be happy at work as it's the place you spend most of your time and if you're lucky to find such a good place, it barely feels like work at all.

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
There are other things you can achieve besides having a job. Try going and volunteering somewhere, the atmosphere is so different from work that it's like night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00