How to avoid doing stupid things while manic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krem

Sometimes, in my manic moods, I do things. Often just harmful boasting, to myself mostly, but sometimes I think about testing my ideas. 'Am I really an immortal god? Why not jump into that car and find out?' 'No harm can be done to me. If I take this, nobody will care, nothing will happen to me.' and so on. While petty, most often, and resistable, what about when I get some really crazy ideas. Like tunneling through my bedroom wall, down into the earth, to shape an underground kingdom. That's just silly. And yet, so desireable.. How do I avoid doing stupid things like that?

(Note-- I don't go all happy, gay and giddy when I'm manic. I just go.. god-like. I become something far greater than anything. And then, the next day, I think about it, and just facepalm, and consider myself lucky for not driving everyone around me away.)

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
When you get this way have someone close to you keep you safe or tell your doctor so they can adjust you medication a bit. You know when your getting that way hang out with good friends who will keep you stable

Chargette

I know people that have the important stuff like finances under the control of a family member or public guardian. You may want to ask mental health for suggestions.

im going through something like this with my sister right now. Shes severe bipolar and when shes manic she ahs the tendency to do some really self destructing things. Shes married and has a child yet today she msgs me and tells me she cheated on him with an old flame. Which really bothers me A. cuz hes a nice guy and a good father to my neice b. cuz i think that means she may be off her meds again or they have stopped working. I guess i didnt have any advice to give ... i was more or less looking for some ......my apoligies

Krem

Not on medication, not seeing a doctor, don't have anyone close. Ah, well.

Last edited by a moderator:

aoeu

I stay home to make sure I don't do anything stupid. Medication is HUGELY helpful, however - since going on it I haven't had any manic episodes.

Kelsi

Account Closed
Its hard to not do anything while manic. Ive lost girlfriends, friends, broke things, and even moved once 1000 miles away from home. At the time I wasnt medicated. I stopped taking my meds. Now Ive lost my support system and a girlfriend a few weeks ago.

My point is you should try and talk with someone about getting on meds. They sure as hell wouldve helped me. :)

plates

I stay home to make sure I don't do anything stupid. Medication is HUGELY helpful, however - since going on it I haven't had any manic episodes.
i do this when i'm floating too, otherwise it's me on the streets about to get run over or putting myself in difficult situations.

i don't see mania as part of bipolar in my case, it's very much when i'm exhausted, floating and out of my head or going through flashbacks. mania isn't happy: it's floating, dissociated and agitated too.

being grounded is a much powerful feeling of happiness, wellbeing and power and belief in myself and my actions. and a lot of my so called "out there behaviour" and fighting for my life, is when i'm grounded, NOT manic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00