• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

I am planning to run away from home. Any advice?

Plumeria

Active Member
#1
It's in the title. I have long since graduated from high school via homeschool and no matter how many times I try to explain my unhappiness to my parents, they either exasperate me by pretending there is no problem or berating me for being negative and over emotional. While I have written about it all in My Story, one of my problems is that neither of us are ever on the same page. I have long since realized that it is up to me to actually care about me and fuck them because I am not waiting for them to help me.

However I do worry since while I can run to the US embassy and get out, I do not know what will happen to me afterwards since I am unemployable (due to just being high school and from homeschool nonetheless) and I do not have ample savings. The relatives I do have in the US are menaces and a cousin who once stayed with them had to move out for traumatic reasons. I also don't know what I should take with me. And also what will happen in the chance I do get away. Where will I stay or how could I provide myself? What is the exact process of running away? Maybe I need to prepare documents and financials but I don't know what and how exactly.

I know that it is brash and unwise but the more I stay here the more angry I feel and I end up doing things that I am not proud of to myself every day. I tried to get their attention but that landed me in the hospital and even then they didn't put me immediately in the hospital because they didn't want to spend too much money. Fuck, they are even putting off fixing my glasses and computer for fuck's sake. On that note, I don't think i will have a proper device besides an old Samsung which depletes battery fast so online work is also not a good option.

I just feel trapped and that I should either be run away from this fucking house or lock myself up somewhere. though there isn't any psych wards from where I am from I just feel fucking tired.

Any practical tips?
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#6
I did and it was good in the long run, so my advice is one of those "yes, but"

Don't hitch rides, this almost got me killed & I strongly advise against it.
Do get as much work as you can.
Get into, the best rental or share house with other people who you can trust.
Hide your ID and cards on your person. Like a money belt.
Carry bear spray. Not kidding.
Make sure you're physically strong and don't get addicted to any sh**
 

Maniae

Well-Known Member
#7
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

Not sure what resources are available but reach out for assistance so the transition is less overwhelming
 

Livelife

SF Supporter
#8
I'm not sure your reference here to unemployability means both where you are living as well as if leaving the country? Is there that option for you to work right now and save up some money while still having a roof over your head?
 
Last edited:

Livelife

SF Supporter
#10
Hi @Livelife . A bit of both actually ;-;;; The work over where I am is mostly metal wielding work which I have no experience of. I plan to run some place where I can live and work.
That’s really too bad that any work isn’t accessible to you right now. I agree with several others about staying as safe as you can and thinking things through before making a decision. I’m sorry to hear that relocating to relatives is not a good idea for you.
 

alice202

SF Supporter
#14
Plumeria
I love your screen name - I went to Kauai and I never smelled anything so heavenly as the plumeria.
I would advise you not to do anything until you have more of a plan figured out. Living in the US is expensive. If you are not going to be staying with relatives, you would have to apply for some kind of low income housing or risk being on the street. And being on the street, you could become a victim of crime or sex trafficking. There are a lot of predatory people out there. Please take care that you don't end up in a vulnerable situation.
Its actually relatively easy to get a retail job or a minimum wage job here. The problem is that apartments are expensive and transportation is expensive. Food is expensive. If you choose a big city, you would have the advantage of public transportation. If there are colleges there it might be easier to find a living situation with roommates.
If you've never lived away from home at all you could do the same thing where you are now... find some roommates, find a job, and live away from your parents for a while. It might give you the perspective to make a better long term plan.
Right now it sounds like getting away from your current situation is the most important thing. But please don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Don't go somewhere you are unfamiliar with just to get away from where you are now. Take it one step at a time, and take care of yourself.
Alice
 
#15
It's in the title. I have long since graduated from high school via homeschool and no matter how many times I try to explain my unhappiness to my parents, they either exasperate me by pretending there is no problem or berating me for being negative and over emotional. While I have written about it all in My Story, one of my problems is that neither of us are ever on the same page. I have long since realized that it is up to me to actually care about me and fuck them because I am not waiting for them to help me.

However I do worry since while I can run to the US embassy and get out, I do not know what will happen to me afterwards since I am unemployable (due to just being high school and from homeschool nonetheless) and I do not have ample savings. The relatives I do have in the US are menaces and a cousin who once stayed with them had to move out for traumatic reasons. I also don't know what I should take with me. And also what will happen in the chance I do get away. Where will I stay or how could I provide myself? What is the exact process of running away? Maybe I need to prepare documents and financials but I don't know what and how exactly.

I know that it is brash and unwise but the more I stay here the more angry I feel and I end up doing things that I am not proud of to myself every day. I tried to get their attention but that landed me in the hospital and even then they didn't put me immediately in the hospital because they didn't want to spend too much money. Fuck, they are even putting off fixing my glasses and computer for fuck's sake. On that note, I don't think i will have a proper device besides an old Samsung which depletes battery fast so online work is also not a good option.

I just feel trapped and that I should either be run away from this fucking house or lock myself up somewhere. though there isn't any psych wards from where I am from I just feel fucking tired.

Any practical tips?
Fyi psych wards are fucking terrible
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top