• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

I Don’t Have It All Figured Out.

#1
I wanna be a children’s book illustrator. It is so heart breaking for people to tell you your dream is unstable. That it won’t make money. That it won’t pan out how you expect it to.

To wake up every day and try to tell yourself it will work out, and someone else saying “No.” It hurts. And it makes me question is maybe they’re right. Because what else can I do? Drawing is all I know how to do.

I can’t do anything, and I’m afraid. I don’t have anything.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#3
I wanna be a children’s book illustrator. It is so heart breaking for people to tell you your dream is unstable. That it won’t make money. That it won’t pan out how you expect it to.

To wake up every day and try to tell yourself it will work out, and someone else saying “No.” It hurts. And it makes me question is maybe they’re right. Because what else can I do? Drawing is all I know how to do.

I can’t do anything, and I’m afraid. I don’t have anything.
I would suggest that it might not be necessary to have the approval of others if you want to follow your dream. I would argue that being told “no” and going through difficulties and failures is an unfortunately common part of having a dream.

Which is to say, that you will face opposition, obstacles, and disappointment as a necessary consequence of not fulfilling others’ expectations of you. In a way, that’s why few people have the courage to follow their dreams, and instead take a safe route.

I would also argue that if you say drawing is all you can do, then being a professional illustrator is probably not what you expect. I have experience as a professional musician, and I imagine it would be similar for visual artists.

My creative work was only about 1% of the time compared to the business end of selling my work. It can definitely work out if you’re willing to make the sacrifices. It’s a matter of weighing the pros and cons against what you really want.
 

Lisa the Ferrociraptor

I'm all things, and so are you
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#4
I speak from some experience when i say that no matter the criticisms people may have for it, pursuing your dreams is the right way to go. I'm gonna launch into a longish story, but it's to demonstrate my point, and i hope it helps instead of coming across like i'm trying to make this about me.

My dream is to be a therapist. I've known it since i first started doing traditional talk therapy myself. So at one point, i went and got an A-level equivalent diploma in counselling. But i had a lot of practical concerns about my ability to be present for the work, and i was really not in a place to handle the complexities of a field with such intangible results.

So i gave up on my dream, and started pursuing something the complete opposite - computing. A lot of people questioned why i'd done such a radical 180 in terms of fields, but it was because i wanted a field with clear, measurable results. You know you've written good code when the program does what you want it to without any errors.

Again, i got an A-level equivalent diploma, and i aced the course, full distinctions. It taught me a lot, and i made some good friends during that course, but i could already kinda tell it wasn't my field. I didn't feel in my element on that course in the same way my best friend did. The guy writes code for fun. Which made it a very stupid decision for me to try and get a degree in it. From the word go, i felt totally out of my depth on that degree, and the stress of that feeling actually pushed me so far i became physically sick, and had to leave. Heartbreaking.

But i've spent the last few years working on myself, and i've realised exactly why i failed going down that path - it wasn't the right path for me. It wasn't my dream. And what i should have done was to keep working on myself until i became the person who could follow that dream, despite any doubts and anxieties i held. And now i feel like i'm finally becoming that person, and i'm back on track to live that dream. I only wish i'd had the faith in myself to stick with it when the doubts set in.

So all of that is to say that i think doubting if it's the right decision is a natural part of the process. But i cannot stress enough that if something feels like it's what you need to do with your life, you should trust in yourself and pursue it. Believe me when i say the difficulties you'll face doing what's right for you are likely going to pale in comparison to the misery you can feel trying to be somebody you simply aren't.

My (personal, subjective) opinion is that if you want to be a children's book illustrator, you owe it to yourself to give it a real shot, even if other people have issues with it. I hope my long rambly post helps a bit with those anxieties, and that you find a path in life that makes you happy, because happiness is everything. *hug
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#5
It’s not impossible but it is a very narrow field so it will be difficult. You don’t have to give up on your dreams but you do have to be realistic and you are going to have to be prepared to work very hard.
If someone told you they wanted to be an olympic champion you might well tell them that is not realistic, but if they had a training plan and they were training everyday and making progress then you might be more encouraging. The same applies to you, if you want to do it then start putting together some ideas on how you are going to achieve your dreams and then start trying out those things.
The first thing to consider is can you expand the range of things you would be open to, would you do animation, comic books, adult books, technical books, graphic novels etc etc? The more things you are open to the more opportunities you will have.
Opportunities are unlikely to just turn up on your doorstep ready for you, you are likely going to have to go out and find them and you are probably going to have to do things for free to establish yourself before you can get paid. Perhaps you can find an aspiring unpublished author who is looking for an illustrator and you can do the work for free or a share of the publishing money if successful. Can you reach out to an existing illustrator and ask for some advice or mentorship?
 
#6
If you want to be a children's book illustrator because you have a passion for that, I think it's ok to do that. Like a lot of artists, you may also need to find a day job that helps to support you financially while you pursue your interest in art.

If you don't have a passion for being a children's book illustrator but rather would become one because you don't know what else to do, it would probably be better to look for another career. There may be some services that would help you understand what sort of things you'd like to do, what you're good at, and what sort of jobs are in demand. It might also be possible to figure those things out on your own, or with help from other members here or people that you know irl.
 

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#7
I agree with the other comments, do not let the comments of others deter you from chasing your dream. I imagine that so many hear the same about art forms of all types, and that will include those that have done well. Like much in life things do have a chance to them. If I wanted to do any kind of artistic works I would begin it but yes having a job and steady income to pay the bills.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top