I don't know what to do with my life anymore.

I am 18 years old and I just graduated from high school. I'm at major low for my life right now, due to some problems with taxes I wasn't able to get financial aid for my university I was originally going to go to, and now I have to settle for a community college. I'm trying to take classes that actually interest me now, and actually make me happy. Yet I don't see how this is going to help me get a job. Even then if I take classes to transfer I may be at that college for well over 4 years, I'm just done with all this intellectual and boring work; I want to do what makes me happy, but that just isn't how the world works, it's almost as if my life needs to miserable in order to live. I have no skills at all, so I don't know if their any jobs out there for me. I can't stand staying with my parents anymore, so I've been searching for a well paying job I can do but they all want bachelor degrees. I can't even find a internship. A university seems so impossible now for me, yet without a degree from a university I may never be able to find a job. Even then what I want to do, there isn't really a good paying position for it, or it's nearly impossible to make a living off of.
I like doing art, and writing but I can't get paid doing it. I'm trying to take photography classes and maybe do freelance photography, but odds are I may not go well since that business is dying quick. I learning programing so I can do freelance web design, but again most people want you to have a degree. I'm out of ideas of what to do anymore. I can't see a future for myself at all. I starting to just feel like dying would be best for me. I couldn't get into a good college, so now I may never be able to make a living. I don't have any skills or talents(just because I like drawing and writing doesn't mean I'm good at it). I simply can't find a job to save my life. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm so tried of fighting. I just want to be happy and to relax for once, but it seems like that'll never happen. I really don't see any other option but suicide now.

What are somethings ya like to do? Soemthin ya feel like you could offer a business. I can help ya with this, I promise you there is more to lift then school everyone jus over exaggerates it. When I was in high school everything was live or die there too and for what? Nothin. Hit me up anytime. I don't want ya hurtin yourself over this it ain't worth it.

Jonathan R.

Ann, College is more than just a vocational institute. It can allow you to explore different interests as well as allowing you the ability to develop thinking. Community colleges are not bad schools, and can be cheaper to help you get the general education classes out of the way. If you need help with school or work I am willing to give some advice.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Community college is smarter investment in taking core courses and transferring to a 4 year school for less of a cost. It is astounding on how people think community college is one of the embarrassing thing to do. In 10 years no one gives a fudge where you took your courses. Those that went to a 4 year uni for 4 years are still paying off their loans. I have paid it all off in 1 year in no time. No one knows or asked me where I went to school. I certainly do not go around asking others where they went as well as no one cares in the workplace. As long as common sense prevails when you are learning your job I think you will do just fine.

If it helps I changed my major 3 times

Sunday16

SF Supporter
Hi @Ann YoRHa and welcome. I understand how you're feeling, there seems to be an expectation that once you graduate high school you should have your next steps planned out and packaged up, but a wise man once said that life is what happens while you're busy making other plans (John Lennon). The hard truth is that you probably won't get a well-paying job for several few years, so use this time to try different jobs, build your skill set and learn what you're good at and what you enjoy. @DrownedFishOnFire is right. Community college really is a great place to start and what you plan to do now may change in five years. I went to college for journalism which I did for a couple years but then I worked in sales, then revenue management, then I was teacher and then went into the hospitality industry and now I'm an assistant for the head of my company. And through it all no one ever asked or cared where I went to college. I envy where you are, there is so much available to you if you keep an open mind and look at every opportunity as a chance to grow and learn. And remember to be kind to yourself, listen more talk less, always do your best and have fun! I wish you all the best.

BarryW

SF Supporter
I am in community college and I am 34 years old. So add my vote to the people saying community college is not a bad thing. Learn what you can there, try some different things to see what you like, then if needed you can apply to another college at that point.. like 1.5-2 yrs from now. If you do well in your community college classes it may mean you have an easier time getting into a 4-yr college to finish up a bachelor's.
It's natural to be stressed about work but don't overdo it. There are many important things to do in college besides just study. Socialize and learn more about life and other people. You will find yourself a changed person. You can do it!!!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00