I think my meds are making me incapable of emotion.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
That is, they’re blunting the negative emotions, so I don’t have that constant desperate feeling, but there’s nothing in its place. Or at least it takes something major to produce even a small response. I’m not myself. I don’t particularly care about the things I used to, and I don't enjoy anything really. I spend my days just sitting around and waiting to sleep because I can’t be bothered to even read a book or watch a movie or something. I’ve tried explaining it to the psychiatrist, but all I get is “give it time” and fiddling with dosage when I think it’s past time to try something else.

Does this seem normal to anyone who’s done the whole treatment thing? Am I being overly impatient, or just how long should I tolerate undesired effects?

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Meds sure can do that. Produce a "flat affect" where the lows and the highs are taken out. Its happened to me.

Its a difficult place to be in. On the one hand, that desperate suicidal mindset is gone and thats a relief, but on the other, the quality of life suffers.

I have been through many med changes to find a cocktail that works without killing my "happy" emotions. Your doc may be hesitant to change because you are currently stable, but man, if you aren't happy at all for a long period of time, a change may be whats needed. Of course I'm not a doctor and my thoughts are based around my own experience, but there it is.

I wish you all the best, let us know how it goes.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Thanks @Angie.

Yeah, I think you may be right, that “stable” counts as “good enough” for my doc. But I want the full spectrum of emotions, not just to block them all out. Or at the very least, I want to give a shit about stuff again.

There’s only so much I can push back right now when it comes to treatment I feel isn’t working, which is frustrating (hey, I can feel frustration, good for me!) since both my therapist and psychiatrist agreed to help me build a case for disability and the last thing I need is for either of them to tell Social Security that I’m not complying with treatment.

Good to hear that there is such a thing as a mix of meds that works properly. Hopefully my doc’ll eventually help me find the one that works for me.

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
i hope this picture cheers you up and you'll find someone that is willing to take effort to understands you and meanwhile, while waiting for next visit, I will always try to occupy myself with something fun and I applied job that starts at 7am, I don't know why we like to torture ourselves. 😹

F5FD0E17-360D-414E-8CAF-6BAB693E95BD.jpeg

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Hoping things turn out for the best for you, Gonz! ...it may be that the p-doc wants to give it a full shot before throwing in the towel on this one, so that it can be ruled out, prior to moving onto the next- & this would be even more so the case, if you're early enough in the window from when you began this regimen medication wise (i don't know how long you've been taking them, and what is to be expected out of them, from this side effect, in terms of explaining why he might still be wishing to have you continue it's use, and to try it out). So, in other words, if it's supposed to take set number of weeks before these could reasonably be expected to go away, or be diminished somewhat (the difficulties in feeling the emotions you're desiring) then that may be why he is still wanting to take the "tinkering w/dosage(s)," route. For now- but definitely keep him posted. And insist on thorough feedback as to why he is making his decisions. Then this mystery may in part be solved.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
@Gonz if you are building a Social Security case, its best to do whatever the doctors recommend at least for the time being. Although you can certainly say "hey, can we switch to another med that doesn't do xxxx to me?"

If you are under 50, SSDI can be hard to get (which is bullshit, cuz we work to earn those benefits!). Have you made your first application yet?

Let us know how it goes, don't give up hope!

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Also. .. . As you say, this whole "blunting, " of extreme behaviors, is something that they always try to get ahold of, or a handle on - whenever they are concerned over your safety, and etc. In other words, as had been pointed out previously by Angie, I believe... they'll take (perhaps) this byproduct, what you're complaining of, if it keeps you safe. That's a fair trade off, in their eyes.

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Could also be his thinking, too (your psychiatrist's) - we'll give this one a full-course run, so that we've got an established baseline, or frame of reference for that. He's stable, but with these problems... Now, we'll try a different med, to hope for similar positive benefits & effects, and then we can compare. And perhaps decide later, or after that, which is better.

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
i hope this picture cheers you up and you'll find someone that is willing to take effort to understands you and meanwhile, while waiting for next visit, I will always try to occupy myself with something fun and I applied job that starts at 7am, I don't know why we like to torture ourselves. 😹

View attachment 41370
@BlueGreen sorry @Gonz just gotta laugh at Taemins face. its such an accurate expression right now 🤣🤣

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Hoping things turn out for the best for you, Gonz! ...it may be that the p-doc wants to give it a full shot before throwing in the towel on this one, so that it can be ruled out, prior to moving onto the next- & this would be even more so the case, if you're early enough in the window from when you began this regimen medication wise (i don't know how long you've been taking them, and what is to be expected out of them, from this side effect, in terms of explaining why he might still be wishing to have you continue it's use, and to try it out). So, in other words, if it's supposed to take set number of weeks before these could reasonably be expected to go away, or be diminished somewhat (the difficulties in feeling the emotions you're desiring) then that may be why he is still wanting to take the "tinkering w/dosage(s)," route. For now- but definitely keep him posted. And insist on thorough feedback as to why he is making his decisions. Then this mystery may in part be solved.
Also. .. . As you say, this whole "blunting, " of extreme behaviors, is something that they always try to get ahold of, or a handle on - whenever they are concerned over your safety, and etc. In other words, as had been pointed out previously by Angie, I believe... they'll take (perhaps) this byproduct, what you're complaining of, if it keeps you safe. That's a fair trade off, in their eyes.
Could also be his thinking, too (your psychiatrist's) - we'll give this one a full-course run, so that we've got an established baseline, or frame of reference for that. He's stable, but with these problems... Now, we'll try a different med, to hope for similar positive benefits & effects, and then we can compare. And perhaps decide later, or after that, which is better.
I’ve been on this med for over six months now. I’d expect that to be enough time, but I honestly don’t know for sure what the time frame is on these kinds of things.

Honestly, I’m not 100% sure that antidepressants are appropriate in my case, as I think my “depression” is just a legitimate response to a shitty life. I think focusing on the anxiety so that I can function better out in the world would do more for that than any antidepressant.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
If you are under 50, SSDI can be hard to get (which is bullshit, cuz we work to earn those benefits!). Have you made your first application yet?
I have already been denied once. Consulted with a lawyer who said it wasn’t worth appealing, since I had very little documentation and hadn’t been in treatment. Finally got some help getting treatment after my heart attack 8 months ago, and now my therapist is going to put me in touch with another lawyer who helped one of her clients once the holidays are over.

It is bullshit. The whole system prioritizes denying benefits to the few fraudsters over making sure that the larger number who need them have access to them.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have already been denied once. Consulted with a lawyer who said it wasn’t worth appealing, since I had very little documentation and hadn’t been in treatment. Finally got some help getting treatment after my heart attack 8 months ago, and now my therapist is going to put me in touch with another lawyer who helped one of her clients once the holidays are over.

It is bullshit. The whole system prioritizes denying benefits to the few fraudsters over making sure that the larger number who need them have access to them.
A lawyer is the way to go. A good one can make all the difference.

My thoughts are with you as you fight this battle.

big hugs

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I’ve been on this med for over six months now. I’d expect that to be enough time, but I honestly don’t know for sure what the time frame is on these kinds of things.

Honestly, I’m not 100% sure that antidepressants are appropriate in my case, as I think my “depression” is just a legitimate response to a shitty life. I think focusing on the anxiety so that I can function better out in the world would do more for that than any antidepressant.
SSRIs can be good for anxiety as well, but yeah sounds like this isn't the one for you.

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Thanks @Gonz that sure sounds like a long enough time to figure some things out. . . & it's good to kind of know where you need the most, or more help (in regards, not strengths & weaknesses, of course but in terms of the anxiety & where the emphasis or hierarchy/pecking order may lie...)-

And I agree with sinking, (ship) sometimes psychiatrists will also prescribe AD's for anxiety; such as Effexor & such. And at one point and time, I could probably tell you why. But honestly, after having been through that, before or in the past (researching the meds I was on): I could only conclude that it made absoluely no difference - in term's of a drugs effectiveness - on whether or not I knew this receptor site was being regulated; dopamine or whatever~ ;)

Good luck, and keep the best dialogue, or form of communication going with your doctor as possible. So that he has a complete understanding of what's / or everything that's going on (that you are not happy with and would like changed). Have a nice night! :)

MisterBGone

✅ Dancer
SF Supporter
Honestly, I’m not 100% sure that antidepressants are appropriate in my case, as I think my “depression” is just a legitimate response to a shitty life. I think focusing on the anxiety so that I can function better out in the world would do more for that than any antidepressant. @Gonz -- (You could also express this to them when you see them again, or have some form or kind of contact, that is!) . . .

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00