If you had everything you wanted, would you be happy?

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Perfect happiness is Impossible. We can have occasional spurts of happiness but they always get ruined eventually. That's why the aim of Buddhism is to reach a state that goes beyond happiness. The Japanese Buddhist word "Mu-shin" means Emptiness, and getting Peace of Mind from that Emptiness. That Peace of mind can be gained only from meditating. I meditate, but I'm still far from even getting close to the state of Nirvana. So in Buddhism, Peace of Mind comes from a state that's Neither sad nor happy.
I think what you mean by emptiness is lack of desire. But I agree.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
No, I don't think I would be happy. My pain isn't rooted in those things. Yes, a relationship would help with the inherent loneliness. Happiness for me lies is finding a way to deal with my past and present. To deal with the emotions, nightmares, flashbacks, and reactions to things. Happiness isn't the goal for me, I don't think it's achievable. Semi stability is the goal.
I answered this before, when the thread was first started. I have to amend my answer. When I think of happiness, I think of perfection. Those 2 are NOT the same thing. They don't go hand in hand. Everything I said before still holds true. The source of my mental pain is still what it was. Since then it has gotten better though. I've learned to laugh. I've learned to trust (and holy shit is that a big one). Happiness might be achievable, I have to be willing to keep pushing forward to get there.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I answered this before, when the thread was first started. I have to amend my answer. When I think of happiness, I think of perfection. Those 2 are NOT the same thing. They don't go hand in hand. Everything I said before still holds true. The source of my mental pain is still what it was. Since then it has gotten better though. I've learned to laugh. I've learned to trust (and holy shit is that a big one). Happiness might be achievable, I have to be willing to keep pushing forward to get there.
That's a good point. Happiness doesn't mean perfect happiness all the time. Life still has its ups and downs. Glad to hear you're making progress. *hug

moxman

The "Perfect Life" YouTube channel is neat
SF Supporter
I don't know what happiness is. I don't think I've ever been happy.

I there's just so much wrong in my life. There are things I can control and are things I can't.

I first became suicidal in 94. I've been battling this for a long time, I don't think I will ever not be suicidal.

Yodadan84

Drop me off at a petting zoo and I'll be good. I'd be happy just playing with a goat's ears all day... But seriously I think happiness is lack of desire. And I just 'desire' the bad to go away. Many try finding 'happiness' by adding, and I just don't think that way. That makes you worry more about your 'stuff'(and that includes spouse, kids, significant other, etc.) Oh man, but those ears...

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I want a lot of things in the way you look at something and say i'd like one. but I already have what I want so if I get something else that's nice but I don't crave it. if I had everything I wanted I wouldn't appreciate what I have and feel a lot worse. if I could have my dream antique car handed to me it wouldn't mean as much as my 64 dodge that I struggle to rebuild. just my opinion. mike

Lightsout

If all of them suddenly handed to me right now, i will be the happiest person on earth. For about a year max.

After that i will take things for granted and want more. But still, i will be happier for sure. :cool:

Will i be happy? Yes. But not forever

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Happiness doesn't mean perfect happiness all the time. Life still has its ups and downs.
Yes, agreed 100%. And those "ups and downs" mean that in any and every situation, it has its good points and bad points. If you are a millionaire, you have either health problems or relationship problems. If you are good-looking, then you have money problems. So both positives and negatives are found in every situation.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
It really doesn’t seem like a person’s external situation has all that much to do with their internal emotional life. I mean, look at Chris Cornell. He was exactly who I wanted to be when I was young: brilliant, rich, famous, good looking, both admired and generally well-liked (which don’t always go together). He had literally everything going for him. And yet he’s dead by his own hand and I’m somehow still here clinging on to life, despite my objectively fucking terrible circumstances.

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've known people with money and nice things. Only they were never happy. In fact, alot of them with money were never truly happy inside. They were bored, took solace in doing drugs. They would leave their suburban mansions and drive thru drug infested slums for drugs. So, I say no. Money and possessions wouldn't make me happy. Friends would.

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Drop me off at a petting zoo and I'll be good. I'd be happy just playing with a goat's ears all day... But seriously I think happiness is lack of desire. And I just 'desire' the bad to go away. Many try finding 'happiness' by adding, and I just don't think that way. That makes you worry more about your 'stuff'(and that includes spouse, kids, significant other, etc.) Oh man, but those ears...
Forgot to mention, oi, we aren't your playthings, i don't care if you are a master of the force! ;)
Q3lNeej.png
Jk, for real, having those ears would be my favourite.

Yodadan84

It really doesn’t seem like a person’s external situation has all that much to do with their internal emotional life. I mean, look at Chris Cornell. He was exactly who I wanted to be when I was young: brilliant, rich, famous, good looking, both admired and generally well-liked (which don’t always go together). He had literally everything going for him. And yet he’s dead by his own hand and I’m somehow still here clinging on to life, despite my objectively fucking terrible circumstances.
I think you made a good point, I've pondered Cornell's situation before. I don't really know his life, but his musical style after the 'garden days changed drastically. He and others in music appeared to have it all, but I think he stopped being true to himself and it weighed heavy on him. Plus fame weighs you down when you start to lose what you once had, and people judge you negatively for it. It's tough period, but it's amplified(no pun intended) when you're in the spotlight.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00